Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2018 9:32:06 AM EDT
They are calling for winter precipitation around here for Sat. thru Tues. so I figured I'll put the chains on the 3038e on Friday.  That should ensure we get nothing other than some sleet & rain!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I support and appreciate your methods for (hopefully) helping SE VA avoid the same weather!

ETA: Spelling, coffee.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in the lake effect region of Ohio.

I've never seen the need for chains on tires.  I guess everyone's mileage may vary...
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've never seen the need for chains on tires.  I guess everyone's mileage may vary...
View Quote
Makes a difference on a tractor with R4's pushing snow uphill w/ an ice layer at the bottom ...

Generally don't need them through this stretch unless it is heavy over a packed base :

but some portions & side roads are steeper
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Makes a difference on a tractor with R4's pushing snow uphill w/ an ice layer at the bottom ...

Generally don't need them through this stretch unless it is heavy over a packed base :

http://www.skhowell.com/images/JAN7-snow-12.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.skhowell.com/images/JAN7-snow-12.jpg

We get ice out the wazoo.  Typically on the farm driveway an inch to two inches thick.  Thick enough I'm tempted to run a dozer up and down it to break it up.

As I said, people's experiences may vary.  I just never thought once "huh, I should get chains".
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you ever driven a chained 4x4?

Night and day difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever driven a chained 4x4?

Night and day difference.
I've never had enough snow to think of it. Even 2+ feet my f250 did fine.

Plowing wise, the equipment I use must just be over kill for the job.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They are calling for winter precipitation around here for Sat. thru Tues. so I figured I'll put the chains on the 3038e on Friday.  That should ensure we get nothing other than some sleet & rain!
View Quote
Where abouts in NC are you if I can ask?

Also, where did you get chains? Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Person county near Roxboro, out by Hyco lake.  It is just south of the VA line, 20 miles south east of Danville VA, about 40 miles north west of Durham NC.

I got a set of 4 link ladder chains for the 3E  after one year where I found myself spinning the wheels, even with all 4 engaged,  on some of the uphills while pushing heavy weight snow.   I picked a set based on needing one that would do minimal damage to the poor condition asphalt  on the development road, wouldn't be too heavy & not overly expensive.

I ordered via Tirechains.com, price & shipping was reasonable and they shipped quickly.   2 link ladders would have made for more grip & smoother ride, but cost almost 2x & are almost 2X heavy.  The 4 link ladders are heavy enough for an old fart to wrestle with.    4 link ladder for the 15 x 19.5 R4's  are about $206,  2 link ladder are about $392.    Shipping for the 4 link was about $50,  the 2 link would probably be a bit more.   I only bought chains for the rear.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Person county near Roxboro, out by Hyco lake.  It is just south of the VA line, 20 miles south east of Danville VA, about 40 miles north west of Durham NC.

I got a set of 4 link ladder chains for the 3E  after one year where I found myself spinning the wheels, even with all 4 engaged,  on some of the uphills while pushing heavy weight snow.   I picked a set based on needing one that would do minimal damage to the poor condition asphalt  on the development road, wouldn't be too heavy & not overly expensive.

I ordered via Tirechains.com, price & shipping was reasonable and they shipped quickly.   2 link ladders would have made for more grip & smoother ride, but cost almost 2x & are almost 2X heavy.  The 4 link ladders are heavy enough for an old fart to wrestle with.    4 link ladder for the 15 x 19.5 R4's  are about $206,  2 link ladder are about $392.    Shipping for the 4 link was about $50,  the 2 link would probably be a bit more.   I only bought chains for the rear.
View Quote
You ain't far from my old stomping grounds. I used to live in Wake Forest prior to moving back towards the west.

I'm very much in the same boat on poor condition asphalt. I usually have minimal issues with R4s on snow, but any ice is an unmitigated disaster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top