Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 7:13:40 PM EDT
The battery on the 2013 1025R took a dump this afternoon after finishing about 2 hours of mowing.  I shut it off to move some things in the storage building before parking it & when I went back to crank it the display panel goes nuts - turn the key to start one more time & the display dies.

Checked the battery with key off & saw 13 volts (?).  Turned the key to on without trying to crank & saw 8 volts...

Had to get the jumper cables out & jump start it so I could get it parked & the doors closed.   Prior to this incident, the battery has shown no signs of weakness - starts have been normal with no slow down on engine turnover.

Guess I'll be picking up a replacement tomorrow.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like one of the cells took a dump
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like one of the cells took a dump
View Quote
X2 the skidsteer battery is fixing to go to. I seen where one of the cells is swelling a bit. 4-5 years seems to be about what you get though I got 10 out of the big battery on the 6615. I have much better luck with the check water batteries vs the sealed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#3]
From some accounts, the straps between cells will crack & without a load the voltage can look OK but any load at all exceeds the conductivity across the crack.  That would fit the symptoms seen.  I'm guessing vibration would play a significant role in that kind of failure.  

Nick
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, I have the original/first year 1026R and replaced my battery about 3 years into owning it.  Trying to remember, but I think I bought it local at Walmart or someplace like that.  Wasn't hard to find.  I can dugout the receipt if it will help, but I highly suggest you check out Green Tractor Talk, the ARFCOM for JD owners.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the offer!   I am already on GTT (same screen name as here).   I think I found a decent replacement at the local O'Reilly's - going to double check against local JD dealer price ...

Nick

ETA:  JD price only $3 > OReilly's price & has better CCA (JD=500).  Found most lower price alternatives were much lower CCA - went with JD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top