Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2013 10:16:23 AM EDT
I've tried doing a search but, came up empty
I remember a thread on generators and some one putting a hour meter on one. does any one have any idea where i would look for one?

UPDATE:
Finally received the hour meter i had ordered.
Here are some pics. the Blue zip tie will be replaced with Black to blend in better.
It's on the generator with two sided tape till I figure out if it will stay permanently in that location. Pretty simple and straight forward install.took longer to decide wire routing

Link Posted: 8/27/2013 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#1]
hmmm.  I searched google for "hour meter for generator"  and this was one of the first hits.   http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hour+meter+for+generator&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=20564265090&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=742779716164616036&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9s14ars2ed_e

Most of them just have a loose winding around the ignition wire and some circuit is dividing up the number of power strokes into a time frame and coming up with a running total.  Looks like $15 to $40 is going price.  Buddy has one on his generator and he likes it.  Keeps oil change intervals honest.

Link Posted: 8/27/2013 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#2]
why do you need one,   is it just to change the oil...  if so..  just change the oil before each winter   no matter if it's got an hour .  dirty oil has acids that eat away at parts while at rest.   same goes with all the other gas powered toys   everyone seems to change oil once they start using it again.  and that's just the opposite of what you should do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't NEED one. just want to keep track of usage
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It will surprise how much or little you use it. They are a great way to keep track of maintenance. I have three of these.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/662295_A_few_pics_of_putting_a_hour_meter_and_a_Gold_Plug_on_a_Honda_EU2000i.html
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 3:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Now this is the kind of information I was looking for!
THANK YOU!
Quoted:

It will surprise how much or little you use it. They are a great way to keep track of maintenance. I have three of these.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/662295_A_few_pics_of_putting_a_hour_meter_and_a_Gold_Plug_on_a_Honda_EU2000i.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/28/2013 3:50:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]
And this is what I was actually looking for.
I was impatient and bought a different brand. I'll up date when it arrives and I install it .
Thank you all for the replies

Link Posted: 8/28/2013 6:19:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I got mine off ebay one has failed the other is working fine.  I paid $20 i believe for a nice digital one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I put one on the Honda motor on my log splitter, it was a digital one Briggs and Stratton had in the carded parts program. Been on it for 13 years I think it was ~$15.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]
update in OP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top