Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2013 3:35:10 PM EDT
I've tried layering it in straw and hay. Also tried the cd's dangling from strings. I shoot them with the BB gun when I see them but they just keep coming back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
up the ante....#9 shot  

I had a little bit of luck with straw, maybe your birds are just smarter than the ones around here.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Mix uncooked rice with the seeds. It wont take long
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Hang a life-size hawk silhouette from a nearby tree. Worked great for me. Google "hawk silhouette" for downloadable examples - I cut mine out of thick black foam sheet purchased from a local craft shop.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Did someone say bird?

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
aerate so the seeds go down in holes and the birds cant get them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not a couple feeding stations of highly desirable seeds nearby.  Sunflower or something like that?

You wouldn't have to feed them that long, just until the seeds germinate.

Or, there's this green stuff with seed in it that sort of looks like something else.  That stuff may disguise the seed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Why are you growing grass in Arizona?  Embrace the gravel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
What is this grass you speak of??  All I see is white outside here
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 3:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's a myth, birds love to eat rice and it doesn't hurt them. I tried it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 3:36:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

aerate so the seeds go down in holes and the birds cant get them.

The birds literally dig holes to get at the seed.

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 4:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Motion activated sprinkler?  New lawns need water anyways, so in effect you're killing two bir... er, nevermind
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:11:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

But Alka-Seltzer on the other hand....
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's a myth.  Wild birds eat unharvested rice from rice fields all day long.  No exploding birds.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I feed it to my chickens.  Uncooked, along with uncooked beans and lentils.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Two to the breast, one to the head?
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Straw worked for me.  I think birds have an innate fear of "a snake in the grass" and stay away.  Plus, it keeps the sun from burning out the seed.
My problem is our dogs.  It looks like we have varsity football practice out there.  the dogs tear the shit out of it when they're playing, AAANNNDDD it's mud.  Our pointer tears inch-deep tracks through the yard.  It looks like a tractor went wild pulling a harrow.  Just about given up on grass.  Trying sod in the spring, if that fails, it's gravel to keep the mud down.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What is this grass you speak of??  All I see is white outside here

Put it down a week before the white stuff falls.
When the white stuff starts to melt, the ground turns to mud and the seed gets mixed in pretty well.
The birds don't come back for a good month after that anyway.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#19]
No white stuff ever in Phoenix AZ and birds are here year round.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Many many years ago my father sowed a patch about 8x10 feet and then rolled cheese cloth across the patch covering it completely.  I think he used some spikes to hold it down.  The water goes right through and the seeds are covered.  As the grass got taller he then pulled the cloth off.  I would have no idea where you can find large rolls of cheese cloth today.

I have no idea how large of an area your doing, so this might not be a good idea for a large area to be covered.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Choot'um
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 2:51:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Dcon mixed in with cream corn. This kept the crows out of the garbage dumpster at work. Probably would work with birds too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Choot'um

+1
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Choot'um

+1

Again I work all day, I don't have time to lay in a gilly suit in my backyard picking off pigeons.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Choot'um

+1

Again I work all day, I don't have time to lay in a gilly suit in my backyard picking off pigeons.

Umm, you may be missing out on a sporting good time. I would try to keep the birds coming back. My only suggestion is to look into pellet fertilizer. Maybe they'll eat it and die.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#26]
You could try bird netting if you are able to stay off of the area for a few weeks.  Put 6" stakes in the ground every few feet and drape it over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top