Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2011 1:00:54 PM EDT
Kittens are too young for the good stuff.  I think I might dip them in Pyretherin diluted to some percentage with water?  Any ideas.  Luckily cats aren't in the house.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
7 dust from lowes
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Kittens are too young for the good stuff. I think I might dip them in Pyretherin diluted to some percentage with water?  Any ideas.  Luckily cats aren't in the house.

We have dipped a cat in heavily diluted Pyrethrin with no ill effects. At the time, I did the math
to come up with what should have been a safe ratio when mixed with 30 gallons of water in a bath tub.

Yes, fleas have been very problematic this year for us. Our indoor cats never go outside and we
are still finding fleas indoors this year. Frontline didn't seem to be having an effect, so we have went back
to old style flea collars.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We have dipped a cat in heavily diluted Pyrethrin with no ill effects. At the time, I did the math
to come up with what should have been a safe ratio when mixed with 30 gallons of water in a bath tub.

Natural repellent from Chrysanthemums:  = pyrethrins
Synthetic copy of pyrethrins = permethrin

Natural pyrethrins are broken down by digestive juices, while synthetic pyrethrins (permethrin) are metabolized by the liver

Toxicity in cats occurs because their livers are incapable of properly metabolizing synthetic pyrethrins, AKA permethrin. Natural pyrethrins are generally considered safe for cats, although in some cases they can have severe reactions. Symptoms of synthetic pyrethrin toxicity are far more frequent and serious. In a British study, they reported that nearly 97 percent of 286 cats exposed to a spot flea treatment with the synthetic pyrethrin Permethrin developed symptoms of toxicity.

Permethrin isn't anywhere as toxic in dogs. In fact, Advantix II is permethrin based. So, if you have a cat, just be careful when using either the natural or synthetic versions. It is also highly toxic to fish.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Natural repellent from Chrysanthemums:  = pyrethrins
Synthetic copy of pyrethrins = permethrin

Natural pyrethrins are broken down by digestive juices, while synthetic pyrethrins (permethrin) are metabolized by the liver

Toxicity in cats occurs because their livers are incapable of properly metabolizing synthetic pyrethrins, AKA permethrin. Natural pyrethrins are generally considered safe for cats, although in some cases they can have severe reactions. Symptoms of synthetic pyrethrin toxicity are far more frequent and serious. In a British study, they reported that nearly 97 percent of 286 cats exposed to a spot flea treatment with the synthetic pyrethrin Permethrin developed symptoms of toxicity.

Permethrin isn't anywhere as toxic in dogs. In fact, Advantix II is permethrin based. So, if you have a cat, just be careful when using either the natural or synthetic versions. It is also highly toxic to fish.

I should also note that, while I don't want to cause poisoning to any kitty, this particular cat
was a feral that we caught in a live trap. We wanted to be able to turn him loose in the house
without worrying about causing a flea infestation during the taming process. I sometimes shoot
feral cats, but he seemed to good to waste.

He did not enjoy being plunged into the bath tub while still in the live trap. I also dumped
several bowls full over him also for good measure.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Havent had a flea in 13 years, until this summer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I should also note that, while I don't want to cause poisoning to any kitty, this particular cat
was a feral that we caught in a live trap. We wanted to be able to turn him loose in the house
without worrying about causing a flea infestation during the taming process. I sometimes shoot

He did not enjoy being plunged into the bath tub while still in the live trap. I also dumped

Man, you are going to have cat poop in your shoes or on your pillow for the rest of that cat's days :P
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]
feed brewers yeast with garlic in thier food. I have a cat and a dog both inside and outside, the dog i just put the tablets in her food. the cat i crush tablets and mix with food. i've done this for years and have never had fleas. fleas don't like garlic. dosage amounts are on the bottle. $12.00 for 1000 tablet bottle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, you are going to have cat poop in your shoes or on your pillow for the rest of that cat's days :P

Actually, once I tamed him, he was sweet as could be. Taming a feral cat requires a lot of patience though.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Our indoor cats got fleas this year as well.  Advantage seems to be working pretty well so far......
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Fleas have been awful here.  I have 2 outside dogs and 1 inside dog.  All three were infested even with regular Advantix treatments as was the outside dogs pen and the inside dog's sleeping area.

I haven't had a flea problem in the 8 years I've been in TN until this one, something is definitely different.

Ortho Home defense max took care of the pen and bedding areas, and for prevention purposes I treated the porches and rooms entering the house from them.  Instead of extra advantix I used a diluted permetherin solution to bathe the dogs in.  Been 3 weeks since their last advantix treatment, I should probably do another permetherin bath.

Nothing I hate more than fleas.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Dealing with this and my cats.  Moved into a new apartment.  My cats are indoor cats and were flea free.  Old tenants were dirty hippies.  They left the place a god damned mess.  They had cats so I assume it's from them.  I wish we lived in an area with Army Ants so something like this would happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-xLIfjrtFo

You'd think that if nature created parasite creatures that feed off animals and exist in droves that something else would have come around to prey on them.  I can only hope as humanity gets a better hold on biology and synthetic organisms we come up with a bacteria/virus/creature to eradicate fleas, ticks and mosquitoes.  Keep a handful of them alive in a lab like smallpox in case we should somehow need them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Crazyness....and here I just thought it was the kittens we had in the basement for a while.
I have never seen such flea madness... the basement was insane.
Shopvac, spray x 10, light and pan of water....killed them by the hundreds for a month but just now seeing the end of them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#17]
To go along with the fleas down here, we have tick because it's so dry.  There's nothing more fun than trying to pull a tick out of a horse's ear.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I am currently battling a flea problem in the house.  
Weapons utilized:
Pyrethrins
permethrins
IGR's...insect growth restricters.  These help break the life cycle.  Nylar is a good one for this.
vaccum cleaner.  This sucks the little bastards up so they can't get to you.  Supposedly the vaccum beats the crap our of them and they die.

Go to Ace hardware.  They carry a lot of the good stuff you will need.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Bad season indeed
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#21]
It's ticks here in NH. I have 2 dogs, and while I haven't picked a single tick off them so far due to Advantix, I have picked several off myself that hitched a ride on my dogs. Blech, ticks disturb the hell out of me. They've never been so bad before as they are this year.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Not 1 flea on our boys this year. I'm actually astonished.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top