Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 12:47:55 PM EDT
Grrr.....

We let our chickens free range in our back yard. It's about an acre, cleared. The chickens are so much happier when we let them out of the run to free range.

Looked out my window today at about 1:30 and saw a silver fox chasing one of our chickens around the yard. I ran outside, but didn't see the bugger. Most of the chickens had run over to the coop. I did a quick count and we were minus one Buff. I locked them up in the run and started off looking to see if she might be hiding somewhere.

Found 3 feather piles strewn down our front yard towards the road. Looks like she took off down the hill trying to get away. I think the last feather pile was when he caught her. I looked around the treeline and did find one feather the I presume was where he probably headed off into the woods. I found another about 6' in, but it was just inside the old barb wire fence along the property line with our neighbor's woods.

I sat out for about 2 hours to see if he would come back for seconds, but didn't see anything.

Any Virginians know what the law is regarding fox? Anyone have any general suggestions to thwart off fox? (getting a dog is not an option right now, unfortunately)
I really thinking I should t-post fence the yard, but I don't know if that would be enough.

The VA Dpt. of Game and Fish say my county (Culpeper) is "closed" I guess that means there is no season.

TIA,
-3D

FYI... this is a Buff Orpington.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

Yea, I plan on calling Game and Fish in the morning to find out what I can do.

-3D
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Aw, I'm sorry.  Foxes are gorgeous, but can be really aggravating for chicken people.  Smart and tenacious.

Buffs are beautiful birds.

Here in Kentucky if a predator is taking your livestock, you can kill it.  But that's here.  I have no idea about your state.   LEt us know what you find out though, will you?

kittis

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
That varmint would make a nice coat collar.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Let the chickens out into the clearing again. Set up a target of some kind in the middle of the field. Get out your rifle and sit on your porch waiting for the fox to come back. Once you spot him take a shot at the target.. wouldnt it be a shame if you missed?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:44:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Yea...

After the attack... talking with the wife about what we should/could do... she just looks at me, shrugs and says,

"S. S. S!"

I love my wife.

-3D
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:52:43 AM EDT
[#8]
absolutely
DO  NOT CALL THE STATE!!!!!!!!

Just make it happen, don't tell anyone.

22LR will kill a fox and out of a rifle is pretty quiet.  2 shots easy before anyone might even begin to notice even in suburbia.
(check your backstops of course)
trapping does work for skunks (but it's not fun to get rid of a live pissed off skunk)

forget trapping.  Foxes are so damn smart, even expert trappers have a tough time with foxes.

That fox will be back, you won't be able to free range for a few weeks.  look for the scat around.  you'll find some right around the pens.
We never let ours free range when we aren't home and the dog isn't outside.  (not that the dog would do any good, but it seems to keep the fox away)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Meh....

I think I'll have better results if I take the preventative / deterrent route.

I need to get a fence up around the perimeter of the yard. I have a second dog run (we use for our chicken run) that I got from a neighbor... I need to set that up and attach it to the main one. Then we'll need to follow your free range regiment and only let them out when we are outside.

All the other options are not only illegal, but also risky and probably not going to solve the problem in any permanent way.

-3D
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't have money to buy McNuggets

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't have money to buy McNuggets
-Foxxz

I've got extra eggs I'll give ya for free if you like eggs and want to come out to Culpeper.

Hell... I travel to NoVA almost every day. I'm happy to bring a few up here if you are around.

-3D
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#14]
bait and a leg hold trap. tuna or sardines should do.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
absolutely
DO  NOT CALL THE STATE!!!!!!!!

Just make it happen, don't tell anyone.

22LR will kill a fox and out of a rifle is pretty quiet.  2 shots easy before anyone might even begin to notice even in suburbia.
(check your backstops of course)
trapping does work for skunks (but it's not fun to get rid of a live pissed off skunk)

forget trapping.  Foxes are so damn smart, even expert trappers have a tough time with foxes.

That fox will be back, you won't be able to free range for a few weeks.  look for the scat around.  you'll find some right around the pens.
We never let ours free range when we aren't home and the dog isn't outside.  (not that the dog would do any good, but it seems to keep the fox away)

agree 100%....  "never invite THE MAN into your life."  words of wisdom.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Been looking around the Virginia game and fish site for you, cant seem to find anything related to dealing with nuisance fox's or nuisance predators. They do have a list of 10 critters on there that are considered nuisance animals like coons and woodpeckers and what not.. nothing about fox's though. Maybe try calling your local game warden, dont have to give him any information about yourself (hell.. do it from a payphone if your paranoid ), explain your situation to him and ask him how to proceed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top