Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2009 2:17:21 PM EDT

Has anyone ever used old commercial jars and lids (like pickle jars) to can food with? I tried it today and the commercial lid resealed perfectly.  I just placed boiling water in a cleaned jar and screwed the lid on tightly.  As it cooled the lip popped loudly.  After it was completely cool I opened the jar and it popped again.  If the jars seal it should be OK – right?  It may be a way of coming up with additional jars if need be.  

Thoughts
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I use jars for keeping things in the fridge but I wouldn't can for the shelf in them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:04:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I won't use them for canning.  However, they are good for dry storage (sugar salt brownsugar oatmeal etc.)  Throw in an 02 absorber or vas seal and they are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:16:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I won't use them for canning.  However, they are good for dry storage (sugar salt brownsugar oatmeal etc.)  Throw in an 02 absorber or vas seal and they are good to go.

This +1
Typically not recommend for home canning, but vac sealing dry goods in them works really well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll add that the tall skinny jar that capers and some olives come in is perfect for soaking an AR bolt in solvent.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Has anyone ever used old commercial jars and lids (like pickle jars) to can food with? I tried it today and the commercial lid resealed perfectly.  I just placed boiling water in a cleaned jar and screwed the lid on tightly.  As it cooled the lip popped loudly.  After it was completely cool I opened the jar and it popped again.  If the jars seal it should be OK – right?  It may be a way of coming up with additional jars if need be.  

Thoughts

My mom has been doing this for years. I don't know how many times she reuses them, I would say several. Pickle jars, salsa jars, and jam/jelly jars. She just makes sure that a jar that had salsa is not used for jam. She has never as far as I know had a problem.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]
My mom has used coffee jars and mayo jars and any other kind of jar that will fit a rim and lid for as long as I can remember. My grandmother did this as well.  

They work fine.

BUT to reuse that LID is a mistake.

YOu need to choose the jars which will fit regular rims and lids.  A good number of them will.  Lids are designed to seal only once.  I think you are asking for seal failure.  

I think it was feral who said in another thread....food and time are expensive.  Lids are cheap.

New lids are cheap insurance for your canned food.

kitties

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I was out of pint jars and used them for jam and jelly with new lids once.

They are not as strong and I'm afraid to use them in a pressure canner.  My fear may be unfounded.

New Ball jars are $9.00 for 12 quart jars at Walmart.
Cheaper for pints, I can't remember the price now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top