Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 8:00:04 AM EDT
Well I was checking dates on stores and noticed the beef jerky use by date was 9 months ago. Any idea on quality of the Jerky after the use buy date.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#1]
In my experience, the only thing that will cause storebought jerky to go bad, is mold.  You can check for mold visually.
Usually only happens in the more fatty jerkys like JackLinks, and SlimJim(if you can call that jerky).
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't care how old it is, jerky is the tastiest thing ever invented.

I don't buy it very often since I can't seem to store it very long, mostly due to my demanding belly.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have eatin harlly Davidson jerky that was several weeks past expiration. it was damn good.

also had jack links roughly 4 months after expiration. was a little tough, but not bad.

i wouldn't hesitate to eat jerky that was 6 months or more past expiration.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In my experience, the only thing that will cause storebought jerky to go bad, is mold.  You can check for mold visually.
Usually only happens in the more fatty jerkys like JackLinks, and SlimJim(if you can call that jerky).

Yep.  You can always keep it in the freezer if you want to extend it's life. That's what I do with my home made jerky anyway.

+1 to everything above.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Ask any Navy Seal they know everything about jerky. I check your local gun show first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top