Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2007 2:57:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!  I canned up a batch of salsa the other day.  Wish I had an outside setup like you!
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Man, I love these posts!  I have to get a garden in order, and a jarring set up too!
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Great write-up feral.

What?! No pics of Mrs. Feral? That's not very nice.
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Show some of the old ones.
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#6]
That is a great idea for cukes.  I'm going to try that right away.  Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Great post!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Feral..... Very informative, thanks for posting it.

smitty
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Where did you find the outdoor cooker?  We have a cheap side by side 2 burner I got from harbor freight, but it is too small to fit 2 canners on at once.  We also do a lot of canning, and that looks like a great gift for the wife.

Thanks,

lumper.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 3:37:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Mmmmmm......relish!  I relish relish!  Great write-up.  Looks so easy, but my wife tells me it's back-breaking/slave-ing over a hot stove work....I jokingly tell here "Well, you ARE a woman  Just think, you could be pregnant!".

Gonna be months before she'll let me eat any of the stuff she cans

Wife has been making a bushel of small cukes into "bread & butter" pickles the past 2 nights.  We'll (she'll) be making some 7 day pickles later in the week.
I DO have to look into relishes, tho.....dam hotdogs just ain't right with out it!.... Off to google "relish recipies".

(check e-bay for rings and lids.  I got 12 gross (yes, 12x144!) lids AND rings shipped for under $100 last year) We'll be canning for years with that kinda stock!)
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Feral,
Great post, once again you show us Keyboard Survivalists what we should be doing
After my big move coming up, I plan on doing alot of the things you have been doing. I hate cooking, but for some reason canning just doesnt seem like cooking to me, so I should be able to manage it. Please keep these kind of posts coming, as they are great motivation for the rest of us!

Oh, and tell Mrs. Feral she IS beautiful!

Does Mrs Feral have a sister in the Washington/Oregon area?
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks great

I usually just can dill pickles, beans and tomatos might have to try some relish this year.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#14]
that relish does look good
got a recipe????

those outdoor cookers are at sportsman warehouse, cabelas, etc,
think car camping for big people
they run about a $100
worth every penny, way faster and all that heat is out of the kitchen.  (plus it saves stove space so you can be working the next thing)

I'll make the wife take a picture, but we have alittle thing that holds all the lids seperate so when you put them in the hot water, they don't touch each other and they all get hot.

You are about 2 weeks in front of us, my cuke plants tripled in size this week, little pickles are on, i figure about two weeks.  And it's all going to come at once, crazy amount of tomoto's coming.  (sweet)
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Feral, the moons must have lined up for you to get cucs that nice. This year mine have been all screwed up.......some look like golf balls, some pointed on one end and full on the other, some long some short.

We canned squash pickles this week and some bread and butter. We picked and canned 30 quarts of bush beans in the last two nights from only two rows, more to come tomorrow.

The toms are finally breaking loose and changing color. The squash and zucs are full of squash vine borers and won't last another month. Pulled one stem last night that had 3 grubs in it. Started graveling some new potatos....so sweet you don't even need butter. Okra are getting in there prime now. The cucs vines have become like a house of ill repute for stink bugs.....never seen so much bug sex.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#18]
any good recipes for dill pickles?

a small grocery store by me cans and sells their own dill pickles.  they put in garlic, dill, salt, some type of hot pepper.  so i can taste the garlic, saltiness (i know all recipes use salt), and a bit of heat.  damn they are GOOD!  every year he increases his production and he still sells out.

i want to try and can some garlically/hot (kinda hot, not blazing).  any recipes like this??

thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the link to the cookers.

lumper.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#20]
very nice info and pics !
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 3:28:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 4:33:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Is that lid lifter thingy one of these? I've been looking at that thing for a while and trying to decide if it would be worth getting. If that's what you're talking about, do you like yours?

That's the lid lifter thingy.  
it's easier to reload for sure, and you only get one.  it makes sense to me that that way teh water goes over everything. But you have to use a bigger pot than you think to make it fit.  Easier to clean up for sure.

We also have two jar holders (one for each hand), makes it go much faster.
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Outstanding post!

I may have to post some recipes of my own on the forum, so much you can do to preserve cucumbers.
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Tag.  Feral, I really look forward to all of your gardening threads.... they give me great ideas!

I'm hoping to have my high intensity beds going starting this fall.... it's definitely NOT the time in Vegas to be starting anything.

And next spring I'll be ordering my fruit trees- I may just keep them in cold storage until fall again though in order to acclimate them at a milder time of year.  Nothing seems to do well here if you plant it and it immediately has to deal with a 110*+ summer right off the bat!

Thank again!
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#25]
By the way- can any of you guys recommend some good books on canning/preserving foods?  I've done TONS of jams/jellies, but I've never really done much in the way of fruits and veggies.  I know alot of it has to do with acid content, etc.... and I also need to get a pressure cooker eventually to go with my simple steam canner.  Any good book recommendations would be much appreciated.

(oh, and links to more good canners- boiling, pressure, etc.)

Link Posted: 7/14/2007 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#26]
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=553325
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
By the way- can any of you guys recommend some good books on canning/preserving foods?  I've done TONS of jams/jellies, but I've never really done much in the way of fruits and veggies.  I know alot of it has to do with acid content, etc.... and I also need to get a pressure cooker eventually to go with my simple steam canner.  Any good book recommendations would be much appreciated.

(oh, and links to more good canners- boiling, pressure, etc.)

Here are a few of the books I've read

pickles and relishes

preserving the harvest

For canners, I went from a water bath canner to a steam canner

For pressure canners I bought a "weighted" type rather than a gauge type
I never use it, but when I researched buying it I read somewhere that the gauge type canners are supposed to be calibrated every year so the weighted type seemed like a better way to go.
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Pregnant women are beautiful, and outstanding post (again) !  Thanks for sharing that with us.

I have one other tip for cuke growers and aspiring pickle makers: Wear leather gloves when harvesting!  Getting one of those pointy little hairs stuck in your skin is a PITA!!!

Link Posted: 7/21/2007 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, my cuke's are finally producing.
got out there, and got 2 shotgun ammo cases full of pickles (many bigger than I like, we were busy this week) and it made about 18 quart jars full of dill pickles.
out of 9 mounds (3 seeds per mound) (about 5' by 10')

and it will do that every week until the end of august.

hmmmmmmmm, pickles.
Link Posted: 7/21/2007 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#31]
bozeman-

i too put up some pickles today (your recipe).  i bought some pickler cucs at the farmers market today (i only have slicers in the garden) and some fresh dill (i bought wayyyy too much!).  i was able to put up 10 quarts today.

i couldn't find small red peppers, so i used serrano peppers instead.  my first 3 quarts popped but my next 4 didn't.  my lids had started to cool off by then.  i then kept the lids HOT.  my last 3 jars and the 4 re-packs all popped.  i can't wait to try them in 3 weeks.

i bought my outdoor 2 burner yesterday at sportsmans warehouse, i wish i had a 3 burner.  one for the jars, one for the brine, and one for the lids.  it still worked slicker than snot!

it took a while to clean the garlic, peppers, and cucs, but it should be worth it.

Craig
Link Posted: 7/22/2007 4:25:44 AM EDT
[#32]
never tried it with serrano's, that might be odd.
the little red peppers are in the mexican food section in the grocery store.  (you get this 4x4 pack (of 100+) for 2 or 3 dollars.)

good luck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2007 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Canned 21 pints of beets yesterday.

Gonna be a long canning week here also. 20 dozen ears of corn on the way from my bud. Salsa tomatos are within a thumbprint of being just right. Unfortunately my japalenos are too far behind for this batch. I hate stunted plants.

Down to 6 squash/zuc vines.

Note to self - cut down a few more trees this fall for a few more hours of sun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2007 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Good info.
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Note to self - cut down a few more trees this fall for a few more hours of sun.

Funny..... I have the exact opposite problem.  We're getting more trees planted tomorrow.  

I'm looking foward to joining in these festivities this fall- next spring/summer....
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Planting trees in July? Man, if you did that in NC in July they would convict you of cruelty to a baby tree.
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow
go see above, on saturday morning, I picked the plants clean (9 of them), tonight (monday night), the wife picked enough to do 3.5 quarts
wow!

Gotta start selling some here again.
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Planting trees in July? Man, if you did that in NC in July they would convict you of cruelty to a baby tree.

I had the same reservations, but, eh, these trees aren't babies, and are bred for the high desert.... they'll be happy to be out of those big crates/boxes and have a permanent home.  They've been doing it for decades here in so. NV, so they must be doing something right....

I will, however, be waiting until fall to plant my gardening boxes, because that WOULD be cruelty here....
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#39]
very nice and looks good too...
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#40]
i taste tested my pickles today.  pretty damn good for a first batch if i do say so myself!  

i won't use serrano peppers again.  there wasn't any heat to the pickles.  i did find some of the dried chili peppers today.  

i still like my pickles as does my wife, so its a win win!  

i'll do one more batch, hopefully tomorrow with the dried chilis.  all total i hope to put up about 20 quarts of pickles this year.  i'll give some to my parents and brother.  they like these pickles.  this recipe tastes similar to a small local grocery store's version that they can and sell ($4.59!!!).

C
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:02:54 AM EDT
[#41]
we're tired of pickles
we're seriously thinking of pulling the plants
it may not happen, but it is getting ridiculous
had a dinner with some people I used to work with and sold a good 15 odd jars so that helps
only a 100+ to go.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#43]
The heat finally got my cuc vines. Planted 12 more cuc transplants yesterday to see if I can get a fall crop ( another REELDOC experiment). We've been canning club sauce and salsa every three or four nights for about a month. Vines are really looking bad.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#44]
my mistake, i tried a pickle that was close to the serrano pepper and it was tangy!!!

i bought some more cucs today and put up 5 more quarts of pickles.  i used fresh thai chili peppers.  i was gonna use 1 pepper per quart, but i tried the peppers first, whew!  i used about 1/2 pepper in each quart.  they're hot.

i'll dry the rest of the peppers i bought and use them next year.  

i have enough fixings (except cucs) so i may buy enough this week at the farmers market and do another 5 quarts and be done with it for the year.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top