Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2023 2:06:25 PM EDT
Trangia Pre-Heater

Most know that Trangia-type alcohol burners become problematic in cold temps.  This device is designed to allow use of alcohol Trangia burners in low temps.  How low is unknown; I reckon warming the entire stove and fuel bottle inside cold-weather garments will help a lot.

This gizmo attaches (nests) on bottom of Trangia stove (and some compatible clones) in order to pre-heat the Trangia stove and its' alcohol fuel in cold temps.  Pull it away from the stove into second "groove" on stove to deploy.

Leave it home in warm weather and take it with you if cold temps expected.

Note carefully that the genuine Trangia burner has "grooves" in its' sides to accommodate this device. Some perfectly good clones might lack the necessary "grooves"; other perfectly good clones have them.

From many vids on YouTube, this contraption works well.

Seems like a useful device to me, but no Expert.

Shop around for price, as always.

ETA: After trying out this device in recent low temps, I'm a fan.

Suggestions:

1) Shop around.  Device by itself is less expensive than buying other devices along with it.  AFAIK, Trangia main site is cheapest place I've found so far.  Suggestions welcomed.

2) Ensure your "Trangia" type stove has the ridges around outer case needed to use this device; some clones lack the ridges.

FWIW, I'll not buy any Trangia type alcohol burner that is incompatible with this device.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used this down to the low teens with good effect. The trick is to have two bottles of alcohol. Set the prewarmer and the stove up, keeping both bottles of alcohol in your coat. Use the first bottle to fill the stove, and then quickly get the second out and fill the prewarmer and light it immediately. If you wait too long, the alcohol will take forever to get going.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used this down to the low teens with good effect. The trick is to have two bottles of alcohol. Set the prewarmer and the stove up, keeping both bottles of alcohol in your coat. Use the first bottle to fill the stove, and then quickly get the second out and fill the prewarmer and light it immediately. If you wait too long, the alcohol will take forever to get going.
View Quote

As with many things, "Timing is Everything".
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Use the Winter attachment- By Trangia AB
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Another great Trangia stove accessory

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DKK7MA?tag=arfcom00-20;keywords=alcohol+stove+stand&qid=1675968719&sprefix=alcolhol+stove+stand%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-3
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
TYVM for posting the "How-To" vids.  After using Trangia (and clone) alcohol burners in low temps, I consider this item not an "accessory" but a necessity for folks potentially dealing with low temps and using Trangia burners (and clones).

Note how the vid clearly shows the "detent" rings in body of Trangia burner.  These "Detent" rings are required in order to use the "Winter Heating Device".  Some decent clones have the rings, some lack them.  I won't buy any Trangia clone without such "Detent" rings.  It "may" be possible to bend the arms of the winter device in order to work (friction fit) with clone burners which lack "Detent rings" but I suggest it's better to buy decent burners with such rings.

Youtube author PaleohikerMD specifically demonstrated the usefulness of the winter device long ago.  So did YT author Hiram Cook.  IMH, both invaluable resources.

I normally "set-up" all my stoves (which include fuel burners) as complete units, minus fuel.  Granted this involves some extra expense and duplication but allows grabbing a particular stove/burner knowing it has everything included, except fuel.   The "winter devices" are always included with Trangia-type burners. YMMV.

For those burners which do not have "detent" rings for "winter device", there are alternative and very inexpensive pre-heating devices.  This Device   might be useful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top