BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Best lighter? (Page 6 of 6)
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I just carry a mini-bic with me everywhere and always. I've never had one fail. I'm sure it'll happen sometime, but better I always have a lighter than I find out the 3 other options in a pack didn't get put back or something.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 5:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#2]
New Zorro and all-brass "Ultimate Justice" Heavy-Gauge Zippo lighter cases arrived.  IMHO, at least as good as Zippo Brand "Armor" cases, and far cheaper.  Had to insert some sticky tape on the side of the Zippo "gas" insert near striking wheel in order to make Zippo Brand gas lighter insert work properly.  This is a common work-around.  No "Biggie".

"Capped" Liquid-fueled Zorro lighter inserts seem to be highly recommended by a variety of folks on the interweb.

Anyone can buy plastic inserts for bottom of most liquid-fueled Zippo lighters.  IMHO, worthwhile, but does nothing to prevent fuel evap from the exposed wick, which is major source of fuel evap.

The recently purchased "Capped" Zorro lighter inserts have gasketed metal inserts at bottom of insert, with an "O" ring on the fuel filling port, and an "O" ring on the flint tube.

My searching for "decent" capped wick inserts for Zippo lighters which deter fuel evap might be at an end.  

I'm slowly becoming able to make the typical Zippo Style lighter a reasonable SHTF item.  Usually with foreign-bought items; and I regret doing so.  It is what it is.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Have finally received latest items from AliExpress and coordinated them with existing items.  I have a lot of "surplus" inserts left over, since some lighters whose "heavy" cases I wanted came with inserts.

When all is done, it looks like I will have some excellent "Zorro" lighters (similar to Zippo lighters) most of which should retain their fuel for a considerable length of time, them having capped wicks, and some of them having gasketed metal base plates--with "O" rings for the flint tube and the filler port.

Will have also upgraded most EDC lighters (Usually Butane inserts) to Zorro "Ultimate Justice" heavy cases.  Similar to Zippo "Armor" cases but a whale of a lot cheaper on AliExpress.

I'll also have some decent gifts for friends in "distributing" the surplus items.

Selling-off a couple of ancient and possibly collectible Zippos on Ebay to defray the costs.

It's all good.  This lighter thread has been more informative and, to a degree a bit more costly than I first imagined.  OTOH, we've all gotten some very solid lighter suggestions, as well as ways to inexpensively augment/modify/improve lighters already owned.

I sure do hope the readers of this thread have gotten as much out of it as I have.  That's how we all learn.

Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
found this recently:

vault for a mini bic

kinda wanna try one out.

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:23:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
It's an interesting device, but the price gives me pause, especially compared to equivalent and less expensive plastic devices for larger, more common Bic lighters.

I also don't care for what >appear< to be sharp edges within the lanyard holes, at least from what I think I see from the pix.  Likely easily remedied but ought not be necessary.  The body of the case >appears< to have an "O" ring, which is essential for water-resistance.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Too much money, too big and it adds 2.5oz. seems overbuilt for that it is.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 2:47:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#7]
Originally Posted By neby98:
Too much money, too big and it adds 2.5oz. seems overbuilt for that it is.
View Quote
I'd buy a less expensive plastic version for Std Bic lighters.  I'd be delighted to find a less expensive plastic version for Clipper lighters.

Someone owning a plastic 3D printer might take the hint; might require rather coarse threads, but done right that can be a benefit, not a problem.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#8]
A couple of Brass "Thick" Zorro-style "Zippo" lighter cases just arrived.  NOT actual Zorro cases, since bottom was unmarked.  Cases showed manufacturing striations and black markings.  Had to use some automotive "polishing compound" to make things right.

Sometimes AliExpress delivers.  Sometimes not so much.

"Thick" cases, after a little "massaging" are fully GTG.

YMMV, but I'm all done with "thin" Zippo lighter cases.

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By raf:
A couple of Brass "Thick" Zorro-style "Zippo" lighter cases just arrived.  NOT actual Zorro cases, since bottom was unmarked.  Cases showed manufacturing striations and black markings.  Had to use some automotive "polishing compound" to make things right.

View Quote
linky?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
linky?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

linky?
I >think< it was this vendor: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804029755765.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.23.668f1802o3Ju8G&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Note that these are "clones" of the Zippo brand "Armor" case, and NOT the much more expensive "Zorro" 912 cases which have the inset hinge.

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 7:12:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BratsundBier] [#11]
I'm sure in 6 pages everything has been covered. For lighters I use Bics, regular size and mini. I carry them in a balloon, put lighter in balloon and tie it. Keeps it waterproof until needed. I also use Zippos. I've tried all the other survival lighters and just stuck with the basics. I can also make fire in several other ways and carry at least 3 ways, lighter is one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 3:28:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#12]
Yes, in 6 pages of responses, I reckon that most "interested' folks have learned something.   It's a 'limited" topic, so to speak.  Those "interested" and "informed' folks can go on to inform others in different and future threads about what was initially provided here.

I sure as hell learned far more than I thought possible from this thread and reckon others have done so as well. Spent some money as well, mostly for items so much better than what I thought possible.

It's all good!
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:28:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#13]
Little something extra to learn

A Mini Bic lighter is the exact height of a strip of duct tape, and combining the two gives you fire, tinder, and an ability to make small repairs.

To equal the width of a full size Bic (I dont want it much thicker then that)

= 12" Gorilla Tape

= 24" Gaffers Tape

Here's one I made awhile back using Gorilla's hi-viz orange duct tape. Works great as an impromptu bullseye at the range.

Note also that the safety on the duct tape Bic is removed; I resisted doing this for years, and feel like a fool. Makes the Bic much smoother and more comfortable to ignite.

Just pry the windscreen off with a Dime or small flathead screwdriver, bend and pull out the safety, then snap the windscreen back into place. Takes less then a minute, and is an instant upgrade and bit of personalization - like the ".25 cent trigger job" of lighter upgrades
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]
The only "problem" I have is that when ordering a "Heavy" Zorro case, the vendor always seems to send a Zorro insert along with it.  What I have noticed is that the Brass-colored Zorro inserts are non-magnetic and presumably of brass material.  OTOH, the "silver" colored Zorro inserts will attract a magnet, so presumably of some sort of steel, hopefully a variant of magnetic stainless steel.

Given the time lag between ordering and receipt, it seems wise to review one's orders of such items on AliExpress in order to prevent confusion; Ask me how I know.

Looks like I'll wind up with a handful of Zorro brand (Zippo-style) inserts.  At least as good as Zippo inserts, but of course no Zippo Lifetime warranty.

Some of my friends don't know it yet, but they will be getting some gifts eventually.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a couple Zorro lighters and inserts on order after reading this thread
Shipping is slow AF though.
I might get one of the IMCO copies sometime; there's several positive YT reviews of the Aliexpress IMCO copies.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:19:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#16]
Originally Posted By aswrg7:
I have a couple Zorro lighters and inserts on order after reading this thread
Shipping is slow AF though.
I might get one of the IMCO copies sometime; there's several positive YT reviews of the Aliexpress IMCO copies.
View Quote

The good IMClOnes are great. Windmill Japan bought the tooling from Austria when they shut down and brought it to China.

Frankly the quality is even better as they replaced the super easy to rust nickel plated carbon steel with 303 stainless steel that doesn't rust.

Thats also how you can tell an Austrian model from a Chinese version: Chinese SS is non-magnetic, whereas the old IMCOs are magnetic. Likeiwse, if theres rust, its authentic

But IMCOs are super cool design, frankly superior to the Zippo in everything but durability. Fuel lasts a solid 2-3 weeks vs 7-10 days for Zippo, and the fuel tank can be removed and used like a Match for lighting hard to reach places like campfires. You light the lighter, then yank out the fuel tank and you have a metal match.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:40:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#17]
"IMClones"  (I like that monicker) can be pretty good lighters, as mentioned above.  They even have storage for a spare flint, although finicky to access.

There are a few different models; I went with the version that has a vertically adjustable "guard" for the flame vents.  YMMV.

Some versions have a small, raised loop on the body, ostensibly for a lanyard.  The raised loop is so small that one will need some very small, oval-shaped rings to make use of it.  Possibly a fishing tackle store might have some.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I got my Zorro order in yesterday.  I'll post up a review with pics when I get some time.  I'm pleased so far.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I am a smoker.
Tried a myriad of lighters from zippos to  expensive butane jet lighters.

Attachment Attached File

Bic lighters are carried everyday. In the wind I use my clothing to shield the wind.

For camping/bug out bag- I use a stick lighter. Much easier to start a fire with.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By aswrg7:
I got my Zorro order in yesterday.  I'll post up a review with pics when I get some time.  I'm pleased so far.
View Quote
YMMV, but never received an actual "Zorro" item which was not well made.  I've received some fake Zorro items which were actually decent clones, but not as good as the "real" Zorro item.

FWIW, winding up on purchasing all types of lighters; many types bought, and some are works of art.  IMHO, for SHTF use, liquid fueled lighters, with sealed bottom and top caps.  External case is not terribly important.  Clipper re-fillable (and re-flintable) lighters for daily use.  

Anything else is user-choice.   Lotsa good lighters out there, as this thread suggests.

Have fun!

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Just re-did my 'Gorilla-Bic', having used most of the tape on my previous one last week.

Not as cool as my Windmill or Ronson windproof lighters, but overall a handy package.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Just re-did my 'Gorilla-Bic', having used most of the tape on my previous one last week.

Not as cool as my Windmill or Ronson windproof lighters, but overall a handy package.
https://i.ibb.co/52K3SGV/Mini-Bic-Duct-Tape-mod.jpg
View Quote
Sounds like a useful addition!
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I forgot my Bic (rest are all in storage) in my brother's car, so I had the cashier throw in a Djeep lighter when I went to get some more pipe tobacco. I'm impressed: for a cheap lighter, it's easier to light than a Bic, and the wider thumb pad is easier to activate with gloves on. Seems a hair more wind-resistant, too. I'm not throwing out the dozens of Bics I have, but I think I have a new favorite cheapo.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By lew:
I forgot my Bic (rest are all in storage) in my brother's car, so I had the cashier throw in a Djeep lighter when I went to get some more pipe tobacco. I'm impressed: for a cheap lighter, it's easier to light than a Bic, and the wider thumb pad is easier to activate with gloves on. Seems a hair more wind-resistant, too. I'm not throwing out the dozens of Bics I have, but I think I have a new favorite cheapo.
View Quote
Useful, and good to know.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Currently experimenting with an IMCO repro lighter.  Many variants available, choose wisely, and suggest variant that has adjustable flame collar.  The repro IMCO lighters are made in Red China, under Japanese license (bought legitimately from original mfr) and Japanese quality control.  IOW, not the usual ChiCom rip-off.

New-made units are likely superior to expensive original units because (with the exception of the aluminum fuel tank) the lighter is made of Stainless steel, unlike the rusting original lighters.

Will accept Zippo flints, and all fuels suitable for Zippo lighters.  No Expert, but I don't know of a better, more versatile liquid fueled lighter.  

A Zorro (Zippo style) lighter, configured with the proper capped insert and a "heavy case" is the only liquid fueled lighter which is in the same league, IMHO.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Currently experimenting with an IMCO repro lighter.  Many variants available, choose wisely, and suggest variant that has adjustable flame collar.  The repro IMCO lighters are made in Red China, under Japanese license (bought legitimately from original mfr) and Japanese quality control.  IOW, not the usual ChiCom rip-off.

New-made units are likely superior to expensive original units because (with the exception of the aluminum fuel tank) the lighter is made of Stainless steel, unlike the rusting original lighters.

Will accept Zippo flints, and all fuels suitable for Zippo lighters.  No Expert, but I don't know of a better, more versatile liquid fueled lighter.  

A Zorro (Zippo style) lighter, configured with the proper capped insert and a "heavy case" is the only liquid fueled lighter which is in the same league, IMHO.

YMMV.
View Quote
linky to stainless steel repro IMCO?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:23:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#27]
linky to stainless steel repro IMCO?
View Quote
Easy to find on Ebay and Amazon.  Suggested model is "6700 Super".  I'd prefer a vendor who mentions that the repro lighter is made under (Japanese held) license, albeit i Red China.  IDK but I reckon such >>may<< be of higher quality than unlicensed ChiCom ripoffs.

Lanyard loop on some models is so small that one will need an oval shaped split rig (fishing tackle store) to use it.

About $10 all-up from Aliexpress.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:44:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#28]
I recently encountered a problem with the 3 plastic-bodied Clipper lighters I have been using in daily rotation, and thought I'd share.

After considerable use (had to replace 2 flints), they became almost impossible to ignite, which is a problem.  I used Zippo brand replacement flints, but no joy.  The lighters would ignite using another lighter, so no problem with gas flow.  I suspected that the OEM striker wheel was at fault.

The OEM Clipper striker wheel's "turning surface" is hexagonal in shape, and the striker wheel "striking surface" has a rather fine, crisscross pattern to it.

As you may recall, the Clipper lighter has a replaceable striker/flint assembly.  I had some non-Clipper striker/flint assemblies which have a Round "turning surface" and straight, deeply serrated "striking surfaces".  After switching out old for new, the lighters worked perfectly.

I suspect that the OEM Clipper "striking surfaces" are either too "soft" or perhaps their very fine serrations become clogged with dust from the flint.  In any case, inadequate spark.

It's perhaps a coincidence that original Clipper flints wore out and the whole assembly failed--even with new flints.

If you wish, go to amazon and look for the aftermarket Clipper striker/flint assemblies with Round "turning surfaces" and straight deeply serrated "striking surfaces".  A 5-pack with 5 spare flints is about $9.

I'll report back if future problems are encountered.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 2:37:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I recently encountered a problem with the 3 plastic-bodied Clipper lighters I have been using in daily rotation, and thought I'd share.

After considerable use (had to replace 2 flints), they became almost impossible to ignite, which is a problem.  I used Zippo brand replacement flints, but no joy.  The lighters would ignite using another lighter, so no problem with gas flow.  I suspected that the OEM striker wheel was at fault.

The OEM Clipper striker wheel's "turning surface" is hexagonal in shape, and the striker wheel "striking surface" has a rather fine, crisscross pattern to it.

As you may recall, the Clipper lighter has a replaceable striker/flint assembly.  I had some non-Clipper striker/flint assemblies which have a Round "turning surface" and straight, deeply serrated "striking surfaces".  After switching out old for new, the lighters worked perfectly.

I suspect that the OEM Clipper "striking surfaces" are either too "soft" or perhaps their very fine serrations become clogged with dust from the flint.  In any case, inadequate spark.

It's perhaps a coincidence that original Clipper flints wore out and the whole assembly failed--even with new flints.

If you wish, go to amazon and look for the aftermarket Clipper striker/flint assemblies with Round "turning surfaces" and straight deeply serrated "striking surfaces".  A 5-pack with 5 spare flints is about $9.

I'll report back if future problems are encountered.
View Quote

Great info, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
Doesn't take much weight or space to have redundancies.  Over the years I have minimalized my hunting survival related gear to the bare minimum I feel comfortable with to date.  Personal skill level also plays a role in gear selection and comfort.  I can start a fire with a ferro rod in most conditions, but the comfort and ease of a lighter in emergency conditions is worth it.

Heck, I have successfully started a few bow drill fires in optimal conditions but what we deal with in the northeast is not that.  I know it would be impossible for me to do in damp, never mind wet conditions.  I found it so difficult and time consuming in my AO to make a bow drill fire that I gave up trying to get better at it.  If I was in a dry aired climate, I have no doubt I could do it in a pinch, but not where I live and recreate.  Thats why I always pocket a lighter or ferro rod...  Matches are the backup to that.

I have two different packages in my pack.  The larger one is general/ first use stuff.  The smaller ziplock package has more or less emergency last-ditch gear that is stored in a different pocket in my pack.  Zippo rides in my pocket, or the hip pocket of my pack depending on the pants I wear as some have deep pockets and stuff in the bugs me when covering miles.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/IMG_20221125_145716757_jpg-2613375.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/IMG_20221125_145803700_jpg-2613376.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/IMG_20221125_145931977_jpg-2613377.JPG
View Quote

Is that a firesteel rod attached via paracord to the Swiss army knife? I don't think I've seen any of those before. Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Orion actually makes a small, pocketable flare called the Fire Pit Pro. ~6" long. ~4-5 minute burn time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:
I believe this thread was originally begun as a thread concerned about "best" pocket lighter, and not necessarily "best" SHTF lighter.

Suggest there is room for both separate topics, since there is some overlap.

Suggest a separate thread on separate cold/wet/wind suitable fire-starting devices.

road flare.
True dat, but probably not suitable for pocket EDC, let alone multiple usage, lol.

Orion actually makes a small, pocketable flare called the Fire Pit Pro. ~6" long. ~4-5 minute burn time.

The ones I got were in a box of 12. They look very much like miniature road flares (and probably are). The 12-unit box is not something you'd want to carry around in a backpack, though, as they're fairly heavy.

Amazon Product
  • FIRE STARTER AND SAFETY FLARE - This versatile product can function as both a fire starter and signal flare! It can quickly start campfires and bonfires, or it can act as a signal flare for emergency situations.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:29:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLPettimoreIII] [#32]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

Is that a firesteel rod attached via paracord to the Swiss army knife? I don't think I've seen any of those before. Where did you get it?
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PSGOH3C?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 8:33:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
Doesn't take much weight or space to have redundancies.  Over the years I have minimalized my hunting survival related gear to the bare minimum I feel comfortable with to date.  Personal skill level also plays a role in gear selection and comfort.  I can start a fire with a ferro rod in most conditions, but the comfort and ease of a lighter in emergency conditions is worth it.

Heck, I have successfully started a few bow drill fires in optimal conditions but what we deal with in the northeast is not that.  I know it would be impossible for me to do in damp, never mind wet conditions.  I found it so difficult and time consuming in my AO to make a bow drill fire that I gave up trying to get better at it.  If I was in a dry aired climate, I have no doubt I could do it in a pinch, but not where I live and recreate.  Thats why I always pocket a lighter or ferro rod...  Matches are the backup to that.

I have two different packages in my pack.  The larger one is general/ first use stuff.  The smaller ziplock package has more or less emergency last-ditch gear that is stored in a different pocket in my pack.  Zippo rides in my pocket, or the hip pocket of my pack depending on the pants I wear as some have deep pockets and stuff in the bugs me when covering miles.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/IMG_20221125_145716757_jpg-2613375.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/IMG_20221125_145803700_jpg-2613376.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/IMG_20221125_145931977_jpg-2613377.JPG

Amazon or Ebay. "Fire steel toggle"

ETA/  I should also add that they do take practice to use efficiently.  If one has trouble starting a fire with a regular size ferro rod then it will be harder using the small toggle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 12:35:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#34]
Have been using my plastic, refillable Clipper lighters a lot lately; wore out some flints and had to replace them, along with re-filling internal fuel.

NEW round striker wheels (mentioned in my post #28 above) still going strong, with exception of (expected) flint replacement.  Had to "re-fill" lighters when fuel had gone down to about 1/2"-3/4" below "full" level in order to obtain reliable performance/ignition and best flame.  Replacing flints on these lighters is a somewhat difficult task, as the extremely fine thread on the plastic fitting securing the spring and flint assy is difficult to properly re-thread even in the best of circumstances.  Not something I would want to attempt in the field, nor anything but under the best of lighting circumstances.  Try this OEM "flint replacement" at your kitchen table, in good light first, and you will see what I mean.  It can be done, but not likely done in the "field" under adverse circumstances.  In that scenario, carry an easily replaceable flint/striker assembly.

I strongly suggest users of Clipper lighters which have the capability of accepting striker/flint assemblies to obtain the much better striker/flint assys linked above.  Wear-out the OEM units and replace them with the improved aftermarket units.  I did so, and zero regrets so far.  Will report if any issues with aftermarket flint/striker units encountered; So far, so good.

Other than that, Clipper lighters with replacement round striker wheel are still in use and going strong with everyday use.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 2:43:07 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

If you use waxed jute cord as the lanyard for these, the waxed jute makes a superb, very easy to light tinder.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Bic
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Best lighter? (Page 6 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top