Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2021 7:38:00 AM EDT
I hope this is the right section to post in...

I'm looking at getting another handheld GPS , I used to have a 60csx years ago and worked well. I know I want topo maps and replaceable batteries.

So I guess it's between the 64 and 65 from Garmin.

I guess what I'm wondering is what's the difference between the 64 and the 65?

I don't mind buying used, so if I can save a bit by buying an older model , I'd do that.

Maybe just get another 60csx? I looked them up and I'm saving a little bit more but If the newer models lock better and hold signal longer - definitely worth it
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The 60 CSX was discontinued.

I have one brand new in the box.. never learned how to use it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah but you can get them used. Ebay and what not.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 64ST. I really like it. I’d buy another one if I needed it. Can’t answer the comparison question. My previous Garmin was an Etrex Vista. The 64ST is light years better.

Primary use is ATV/UTV riding although I do use it for hiking as well. A set of 2 Eneloop batteries last 1.5 days of riding....so constant on for about 12-14 hrs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Garmin 78 series if you are around water.
It floats.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my 64. I get topo maps from gpsfilesdepot. I also use eneloops. I carry spares too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a NIB Vista HCX for $60 last year.  It's compact and rugged.  22hrs on a pair of double A's.  Can load good 1:25k tops on it for free these days.  Works great for me.  I don't usually spend a lot of time looking at it (fire it up on batt saver mode to run the breadcrumbs) but it's great when I'm bushwhacking and need to find an efficient way from A to B in steep terrain here in the NE.

I hunt in coastal MD/VA where there's dunes and brutal thick stuff in between.  There, I use the phone a lot in airplane mode with Sat imagery preloaded to find the spots where the hands and knees crawl on muddy goat trails is shortest (if I'm going into new).

Still, getting out, especially after dark; that Garmin breadcrumb trail is the shit when you start working back through a wall of thorns in darkness and nothing looks familiar and the open area beyond is frustratingly elusive. I got a Garmin Instinct watch this year and I'm curious to see if that can do the job for the hunts I do (where I can charge the watch overnight).
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
64st here love it
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I need a handheld as well. Hope you don’t mind OP. Last time I bought one was Garmin Rhino series. My use would be getting home from 46 miles away on foot in case of New Madrid earthquake.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever you get, make for damned sure it takes AA batteries and not an internal proprietary one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had an eTrex Vista HCX since roughly 2008.  It's ok.

The screen is really too small for my preference.  At the time, I thought it was great.

For $50ish, you could do worse.  If you're looking for something to take out in the field or something, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better alternative than a used eTrex for the price.

One thing to keep in mind with these older units is the software is kind of a PITA.

I guess it really depends upon your use case and what you need.  I'd recommend the eTrex route just to get an understanding of what you may want in a unit without spending a lot of money.

If you're looking at something for off-road navigating on a vehicle (ADV bike, ATV, etc.) I would spring for a unit with a big screen right off of the bat.  My primary use case is ATV rides and I only check the thing if I am totally lost.  The small screen is almost useless in that regard.  At best, I can look at breadcrumbs or use it to orient myself in the OnX or Polaris apps when cell service is almost non-existent.

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had an eTrex Vista HCX since roughly 2008.  It's ok.

The screen is really too small for my preference.  At the time, I thought it was great.

For $50ish, you could do worse.  If you're looking for something to take out in the field or something, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better alternative than a used eTrex for the price.

One thing to keep in mind with these older units is the software is kind of a PITA.

I guess it really depends upon your use case and what you need.  I'd recommend the eTrex route just to get an understanding of what you may want in a unit without spending a lot of money.

If you're looking at something for off-road navigating on a vehicle (ADV bike, ATV, etc.) I would spring for a unit with a big screen right off of the bat.  My primary use case is ATV rides and I only check the thing if I am totally lost.  The small screen is almost useless in that regard.  At best, I can look at breadcrumbs or use it to orient myself in the OnX or Polaris apps when cell service is almost non-existent.

View Quote

I used to have a Garmin Etrex Visa HCX and it was nice at the time. The Garmin GPSMAP 64ST blows it away. They have even newer models now that are even better I’m sure.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I used to have a Garmin Etrex Visa HCX and it was nice at the time. The Garmin GPSMAP 64ST blows it away. They have even newer models now that are even better I’m sure.
View Quote

Agreed 110%.  If OP wants to get his feet wet without dropping a few hundred dollars, that's the only situation in which I'd recommend the eTrex.  Even a used 64ST is about $250 or so.

I was looking at upgrading, but have been quite pleased with how well the inReach works in conjunction with my phone.  The only drawback is obviously the phone isn't ideal in rugged conditions.  YMMV, however.

If the use case requires it, I'd look at a better unit without question.  They're worth their weight in gold.

That said, I'll always carry a paper map and compass with me whenever possible.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agreed 110%.  If OP wants to get his feet wet without dropping a few hundred dollars, that's the only situation in which I'd recommend the eTrex.  Even a used 64ST is about $250 or so.

I was looking at upgrading, but have been quite pleased with how well the inReach works in conjunction with my phone.  The only drawback is obviously the phone isn't ideal in rugged conditions.  YMMV, however.

If the use case requires it, I'd look at a better unit without question.  They're worth their weight in gold.

That said, I'll always carry a paper map and compass with me whenever possible.
View Quote

I was able to find my 64ST used but looks brand new with everything in the box, for around $160 on eBay. I got a good deal.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was able to find my 64ST used but looks brand new with everything in the box, for around $160 on eBay. I got a good deal.
View Quote

That's a steal.  For something like that, I like to set up an eBay alert and be ready to jump on it as soon as something gets listed.  I've found a lot of obscure stuff that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top