Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2020 10:33:35 PM EDT
Are all fire steels the same?  Ferro rod and striker I mean.  Are they all generally the same?

I was at Scheels tonight and test fired a $4.99 one and by gosh it worked.  

Boys and I have been watching Alone and I’d like to supplement our supplies (scads of cheapo bic lighters) with flint and steel.

Pics of flint and steel AND roaring campfires are a bonus!

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 5:26:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Been pretty happy with these, so far.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TSXNV2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_zAQgFb7H8ABBB

They've been holding up just fine to normal camping, hiking, and weekend fire pit lighting at the cabin. Pretty compact without being flimsy and produce nice fat sparks using the back of a Morakniv blade.

They (like most ferro rods) will ship with a thin coating of paint that needs to be sanded/scraped off to get the best results, so don't be surprised if they don't work great right out of the package. Clean that shit off with a piece of scotchbrite and they'll work great...especially teamed with some vaseline coated cotton balls.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks gents!
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, different ferro rod options have different "hardnesses." I have come across some that are softer than others, but I don't know if that is intentional or not.  The softer ones seem to throw larger sparks, but fewer of them when compared to harder rods which seem to throw a higher volume of "smaller" sparks.  Both did the job on PJ cotton balls.  

The critical thing is having a good striker... the best ferro rod is worthless without a good striker.  Some of the strikers included with inexpensive ferro rods were too soft to be effective, and I am glad I tested them beforehand.

As mentioned, larger rods definitely last longer, and are easy to hold on to.  However, anytime I am carrying the weight, it matters.  So I am always trying to make my load lighter. These guys have a kit I plan to add to my hiking setup in the near future.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#6]
They are all different and all have their own pros / cons.  I say test a few various options and use what works best for you.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]
flint (chert) and steel anecdote... as a Scout (mid 50s), prior to my first troop camping trip we Tenderfoot were taken on an excursion to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico (couple of miles), and scoured the beach area for small 1" size pieces of gray or black flint (chert)... an oyster bar was just off shore, and the formation was attached to a chert deposit... legend was that ancient Timucua Indians were original inhabitants and there was evidence that this was where they napped spear points.... I still had some flint and a piece of 1/2x4x 3/16 steel and some char cloth which I used for demonstration when I taught... as Scouts, we were tasked with carrying it (and matches in match safe) along with some Iodine, a dime, snake bite kit, and roll of friction tape in a WWII bandage pouch on our GI pistol belt....I had a couple of excellent Scoutmasters,,, one a Pacific Theater Combat Marine, and the other an Army officer detached to OSS  that served in the Balkans
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
flint (chert) and steel anecdote... as a Scout (mid 50s), prior to my first troop camping trip we Tenderfoot were taken on an excursion to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico (couple of miles), and scoured the beach area for small 1" size pieces of gray or black flint (chert)... an oyster bar was just off shore, and the formation was attached to a chert deposit... legend was that ancient Timucua Indians were original inhabitants and there was evidence that this was where they napped spear points.... I still had some flint and a piece of 1/2x4x 3/16 steel and some char cloth which I used for demonstration when I taught... as Scouts, we were tasked with carrying it (and matches in match safe) along with some Iodine, a dime, snake bite kit, and roll of friction tape in a WWII bandage pouch on our GI pistol belt....I had a couple of excellent Scoutmasters,,, one a Pacific Theater Combat Marine, and the other an Army officer detached to OSS  that served in the Balkans
View Quote

What was the dime for?   Payphone back in the day?

@lasnyder
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
correct.. pay phone

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top