Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2018 8:28:26 AM EDT
Posted in Survival Gear, Handgun General and General Disc.

I recently put together a survival vest (for general aviation flying) built on the SV-2B vest platform, which includes a section that allows for carry of a firearm (far left).

In that section I put my Glock 19 (carried unchambered) and a spare mag. Thirty rounds total of Speer Gold Dot 124+P.  
The interior of the section is lined with loop material so I used the ITS Holster Insert, which includes a webbing strap to hold that spare mag.

Sorta-disclaimer: I put this gun into the vest after three 3-Gun matches and had NOT cleaned or greased it

As an overall test I jumped in the pool with the fully loaded vest.  Rather easy to swim around.  I can do the survival float, I can even float on my back, without inflating anything.

The next week, in Panama City Beach, I took a water survival training class, designed primarily for pilots.   The first day, in the morning, was class session, with the afternoon and evening as hands-on practice in the Gulf of Mexico, ie saltwater.

The second day was pool time in a chair dunker.

So all told the Glock, the two mags and the ammo, saw about two hours of pool water the first time, about 4 hours of saltwater the second time and 1 hour of pool water the third time.

For all these situations I INTENTIONALLY left the Glock alone, to basically air dry on its own.

I then let it sit in the vest this last week.

OBSERVATIONS:

In this first pic take note of the ejector.  The orange originally went all the way to the tip.  This is the only part I touched and the orange rubbed right off.  So my suspicion of this being only surface oxidation seems to hold up, despite the horrendous looking nature of the photos

FUNCTION TEST:

The slide hand cycled with barely noticeable extra effort, though it wasn’t smooth, but neither did it necessarily hang up on itself.

The trigger was slightly rougher and heavier.

But otherwise everything seemed to function fine.

RANGE TEST:

I took it out to the range last night.  The first round chambered fine lol .

The whole mag fired fine, every round went bang; no delays, no hang-fires.

Five yards.  This gun has always shot low but the group size shows I’m a bit more rusty than the gun

Second mag, same observations (this time aiming at the top of the green)

After these two mags I loaded the mags with Fiocchi 115 range ammo and popped off 50 rounds 3-Gun style.  Glock and mags functioned fine.

CONCLUSION:

It seems that finding oneself in the water and subsequently onto land won’t present a problem to the firearm in the short term, so I’m happy with that.

I’m going to detail strip the Glock and the mags and use an M16 toothbrush to clean everything off.  I suspect it will all literally brush off.

CLEANING UPDATE

It was 50/50/50 whether the surface oxidation was blown off, the oxidation covered over with burnt powder, or the oxidation wiped off when I started scrubbing

The only persistent area was the guide rod and spring assembly.  That area mostly wiped off with the plastic M16 brush.  I'll have to try a bit further with a copper brush.

Otherwise a normal field strip seemed to be enough to restore super-smooth function to the slide and trigger

KNIFE UPDATE

Ontario Knife Company 499 Survival Knife.

Average bushcraft knife ... at best.  Too steep of an edge grind and the pommel on the spine side limits the use of your thumb as support on the spine.  Plus more things I'm sure lol.

But damn does it feel good in the hand.  I wasn't expecting that.  I bought it for the price and history of .mil use.

Short history:  This item was designed as an ASEK, Aircrew Survival Egress Knife, ie: real meaning ADT, Aircraft Disassembly Tool.  When you look at it in light of getting out of your straps and/or having to cut through aircraft paneling the design makes a bit more sense, with the bushcraft aspect playing second fiddle to the more important part of just getting out lol.

I took it out yesterday.  It went through everything the Glock went through and has been sitting in the leather sheath of the SV-2B vest, untouched, since late August.

BEFORE and AFTER.  A couple of minutes with the magic eraser followed up by a couple of minutes with the rough, green side of a yellow/green kitchen scotchbrite pad

I did touch up the edge on a stone as well.

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Was expecting some underwater firing.

Marine caps & FMJ ...
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Real world testing.  Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:33:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for posting this.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:20:00 AM EDT
[#5]
My Glock 19 and S&W M&Ps got completely underwater soaked for a couple of days during Hurricane Harvey.

We did some water rescues & assistance and the guns were under water for much of the day for about 4 days when we were in hip to chest deep water.

We did strip & WD-40 dip to drive off the water, then lubricated with CLP overnight for use the next morning.

The only areas we saw "issues" were the aftermarket night sights tended to draw rust, especially in the dovetails (rear at Glock and the Front & Rear on M&P)

Edited to add - Buddy brought his $1,000+ custom 1911.  It was a rust-cicle after a couple of days carry in water, even with the same service given to the Glock and M&Ps.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting.

Good to know everything went bang now problem.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#7]
This is why Glock is so leaned upon
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
op updated
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:37:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
op updated
View Quote
Great post, OP!

Thanks for the testing and follow-up info.  Real world stuff!
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I bet if you used "Fluid Film" instead of gun oil, there would be very little rust at all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, great report. Good information to know how equipment will hold up under tough real world conditions. The magazine and ammo was looking pretty rough, but fired!
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#12]
knife update
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP, great report. Good information to know how equipment will hold up under tough real world conditions. The magazine and ammo was looking pretty rough, but fired!
View Quote
That was the bigger suprise to me. The ultra light surface stuff in the gun will wipe off. The mag though. Didn't expect that to be as rusty, with scale to knock off. At the same time, it's a mag... likely not coated like the glock parts are.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome tests, thanks for sharing!

I like the Ontario blades, but yes...  the grind angle on the edge is far too steep.  It hasn't been a priority for me, but I will get around to doing some draw filing with a bench vise eventually.

As an aside, have you considered a stainless blade for the survival kit if you are concerned about immersion in salt water?  Quality of stainless bladestock has come a long ways from years past...  and looking at this kit, I suspect something like a Mora Kansbol might be ideal in terms of size, weight, and corrosion resistance.

Of course, stainless does not equate to rust proof.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I have, an ESEE-4P-SS.

But I also have a Gerber Prodigy, plain edge (Walmart of all places), that fits PERFECT in the Ontario leather sheath, which is what they use in the SV-2B and the other .mil fixed blade sheaths.  I guess they just assume all fixed blade knives will be the OKC 499 so they use that base sheath in everything they sew up lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top