Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 8:32:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:06:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I had that phone with me last time I went to my company headquarters in Denmark. It was really sweet to be able to email my family for contact while I was over there. I used it for surfing several times. Fortunately my hotel had wireless internet as well. That phone has the best reception of any phone I have ever tried. I have the storm now, which has the same capabilities for world travel, but it does not hold onto a call as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Be aware that blackberry/verizon have released a new phone that I consider to be an update/fix to the 8830

I had the 8830, and upgraded to the new one, the Tour.

It has a better trackball, which supposedly fixes the issues with the 8830 (time will see, but I like it so far)

It also has a camera and camcorder (pretty good quality too) which I find usefull.

The Tour also comes with the sim card installed, and requires only a phone call to get it going.  I do not plan on using this feature.

The screen is also much nicer- better colors, etc. to my eyes.  The software is also improved and updated, which I have barely gotten into (gotta try some apps).  Basically it does everything the 8830 does, and adds many features that the 8830 should have had.  I expect having a camera may be a drawback to some (security wise) but that is the only bad thing I can think of.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#3]
When I took my blackberry overseas, I had better service than I do here. That was in Italy and Germany.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I also carry a small camera and a netbook with me- not sure how the blackberry camera will be used yet.  I have no security issues.  What I did as well when it wasn't practical to get out the laptop and upload pictures, was use a micro sd card in my camera through adapters- micro sd card will go straight into the blackberry, and into an adapter in the camera- snap pictures, review, insert card into blackberry, and attach to email.  Just another tool.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I've "world traveled" with my 8830 and an iPhone. I'll take the iPhone x1,000,000 over the 8830.  My 8830 is sitting on a desk dead right now, because it's a POS.  The buttons stopped working, the ball stopped working, etc.  It was my third copy of that phone in about a year period.  My iPhone I've had for a year now and it's plugging away strong.  I don't travel outside of the U.S. on business, but I have business to conduct while overseas and the iPhone has no problem fulfilling my needs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought any GSM phone works pretty well around the world.

My old Palm (AT&T version) worked in Bahamas, China, Belize and Canada.

Buying a local SIM card is just a way to get a local rate for local usage and not cutting AT&T in on the deal.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Buying a local SIM card is just a way to get a local rate for local usage and not cutting AT&T in on the deal.

verizon is not gsm, so us on verizon are a little different

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

verizon is not gsm, so us on verizon are a little different

I thought I had covered this, but I'll go into more detail.

snip

Tj

since you seem to know, I shall ask

I was under the impression that verizon phones in the US used cdma (and evdo) only, basically if its not a world phone with sim card, it wont work anywhere except the us, and while that world phone is in the US, its cdma only

true, not true, or am I simply getting it wrong

honestly, not sure I wanna know, to me, the phone works, and I get good coverage

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top