Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2022 9:32:59 AM EDT
Barley & turnips
Forgoing Favorite Food From Necessity - Famine Food - 18th Century Cooking
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#1]
In Tudor England, the hard times weren't winter; it was early spring, when stored crops ran out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice video.  I, too, like to know how people lived back then, not just the nobles.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
"Absolute History" on YouTube is a great resource. A team of 2 men and 1 woman- all scientists of some sort- pretend to live the life in various stages of English history. It's a very watchable series.

They DO spend some time on the farm, or otherwise in character, representing the era and the positions they are portraying. I doubt that they spend an entire year there, though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Absolute History" on YouTube is a great resource. A team of 2 men and 1 woman- all scientists of some sort- pretend to live the life in various stages of English history. It's a very watchable series.

They DO spend some time on the farm, or otherwise in character, representing the era and the positions they are portraying. I doubt that they spend an entire year there, though.
View Quote

They have some great stuff on there, I need to catch up, haven't checked it out in awhile.

I don't really have the space to commit to growing large squash but I usually buy a good bit of it cheap locally towards the end of fall and some varieties can last months. Always grow potatoes and onions, beans are easy to grow and can or freeze.

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It isn't he that barely survives that wins but he who barely notices.  

Tj
View Quote
agreed, but I'll also add barely gets noticed. You don't want to appear to be too comfortable such that you draw unwanted attention  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top