Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2022 5:30:36 PM EDT
We went on a just over a 100 mile open boat ride. Took the family up to a mountain to look for berries and bring some bigger gravel home.

I had told them it was going to get down to 40f and to dress warm.
Well they did not listen but were glad I had enough gear to keep them warm.
We pulled up to the house about 12:30am.

Next time they will listen and bring much warmer gear.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

No they won't.   They'll just remember that it was your fault.   It's the life of a father.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope you let them be cold long enough to make an impression. Otherwise, it will continue to happen.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
All you taught them was dad is to be depended upon.

Next time let them be cold and maybe they'll listen and learn.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No they won't.   They'll just remember that it was your fault.   It's the life of a father.
View Quote
My wife has forgotten how cold,wet and miserable a open boat ride can be in Alaska. I have never forgotten my first open boat ride as a young kid here in AK.
I was soaked through and on the verge of hypothermia.
Quoted:
I hope you let them be cold long enough to make an impression. Otherwise, it will continue to happen.
View Quote
It sure stuck with my wife and two teen girls.
Wife was ready to take a oar and start beating on me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All you taught them was dad is to be depended upon.

Next time let them be cold and maybe they'll listen and learn.
View Quote
They would have had hypothermia if I had waited any longer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]
My family learned that lesson as well this past spring. They always complain of it being too hot when we camp so I gave them the options of going in spring when it was 75 during the day and they happily agreed to it.

I warned them to dress warm for the night cuz it is going to be down in the 40s at night before we left and once we got to camp I found out they had brought shorts and a shirt to sleep in along with their own blankets because dad is crazy and goes overboard with the sleeping bags, by 1 in the morning they were all shivering and asking for the sleeping bags to get warm

Needless to say they learned their lesson and will listen to dad when I say it’s going to be cold
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s a fine line between teaching them to be more prepared and teaching them it isn’t fun to go.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
When we take the CanAm up high in Colorado we carry stuff for sleet balls, snow, fire, ice and more and more.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome, OP. How long did it take? 100 miles on a boat seems like a good length. How did you bring the gravel back?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#10]
How much gas does a ride like that burn?
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 2:09:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When we take the CanAm up high in Colorado we carry stuff for sleet balls, snow, fire, ice and more and more.
View Quote
Normally I take enough stuff to keep warm in darn near every temp.
With my kids older now I have been leaving more and more responsibilities to them. Sometimes they just completely forget what I have taught them.
Quoted:

That's awesome, OP. How long did it take? 100 miles on a boat seems like a good length. How did you bring the gravel back?
View Quote
We left at 1330 yesterday and got back at 1225am today.
Had a big bucket.
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on load,current and wind.
The boat we used was a 18ft flat bottom with a 90hp yammie.
With a heavy load it would use around 9 gals an hour.

My 22ft boat that had a 150 fi 2-stroke yammie would do the same run on just under 28 gals.
With a 3-5000 pound load it burned 15 gallons an hour.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With my kids older now I have been leaving more and more responsibilities to them. Sometimes they just completely forget what I have taught them.
Had a big bucket.

My 22ft boat that had a 150 fi 2-stroke yammie would do the same run on just under 28 gals.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had a big bucket.
Quoted:

Damn!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had a big bucket.

View Quote

Dang. Without knowing anything about economics in that area, were you still money ahead doing that instead of purchasing the berries? Or is it a matter of them not being available, or just wanting to do it that way?

I’ve only done about a 25 mile (one-way) water trip, but that was asking a river which had dockage/fuel every few miles.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dang. Without knowing anything about economics in that area, were you still money ahead doing that instead of purchasing the berries? Or is it a matter of them not being available, or just wanting to do it that way?

I've only done about a 25 mile (one-way) water trip, but that was asking a river which had dockage/fuel every few miles.
View Quote
Yes, even with expenses we came out ahead.
People are selling blues berries for $80-100 a gal.
Gravel is also hard to come by here.
All glacial silt where I live.

Berries this year were harder to find with the drought we had till July. Berries were toasted.

We did just over a three hour boat ride to pick salmon berries (Cloud berries) a few weeks ago. Four families in all and over forty gallons were picked in three days.
I used 16 gals of gas to get there and 20 to get back.

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#15]
When we are going somewhere I will make suggestions as to what the kids (18,16,11) should bring and then I shut up.  If they are too cold/hot/wet/hungry/etc I just shrug.

Of course, MOMMY wants to keep them under her wing and wipe their noses, cut up their dinners, etc. so I am the bad guy.

So be it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top