Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know if you were expecting an argument from me, but you ain't gonna get one.  

Panic is never the answer.

I would add, though, that IMO we could be a little more understanding towards at least some of those who are.  A lifetime of conditioning is difficult to overcome, and the mixed messages being sent out by .gov and the media have got to be confusing to those who aren't accustomed to thinking for themselves.  A lot of folks have been trained this way since birth, and it's hard to hold them at fault since they've never been exposed to anything else.  The best service we can provide them is to help them through this (to the extent we can) and hope that maybe they will start to undertand that dependence is literally the opposite of independence... and self-reliance is part of what makes this country great.  Ultimately it's a net win for us all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only fact about this virus is that we don't know enough about it to present anything as fact.  All the numbers are estimates, all the predictions opinions.

Virtually every expert at every press conference I've seen has quietly suffixed their bloviation with "... but we don't really know."

That's the part to pay attention to.
This is why we need to be cautions and not jump on one side of the band wagon or the other.  
This is why we need to keep each other informed and updated with what we know, see, and hear.  
This is why we need to keep this civil and constructive.

I come here for updates as much as the media, because at least here I can get first hand accounts of what is actually happening in various places.

There is a big run on the gun stores in my AO currently.
Don't know if you were expecting an argument from me, but you ain't gonna get one.  

Panic is never the answer.

I would add, though, that IMO we could be a little more understanding towards at least some of those who are.  A lifetime of conditioning is difficult to overcome, and the mixed messages being sent out by .gov and the media have got to be confusing to those who aren't accustomed to thinking for themselves.  A lot of folks have been trained this way since birth, and it's hard to hold them at fault since they've never been exposed to anything else.  The best service we can provide them is to help them through this (to the extent we can) and hope that maybe they will start to undertand that dependence is literally the opposite of independence... and self-reliance is part of what makes this country great.  Ultimately it's a net win for us all.
I guess I should have added a +1 at the top of my post because I agree 100%  
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This is why we need to be cautions and not jump on one side of the band wagon or the other.  
This is why we need to keep each other informed and updated with what we know, see, and hear.  

I come here for updates as much as the media, because at least here I can get first hand accounts of what is actually happening in various places.

View Quote
Well, I’ll continue to use the comparisons to the flu, H1N1 and other viruses.  Yes, they are different and with a variety of different factors, but they offer some perspective.  H1N1 was pretty bad, but the media didn’t over-react.  Much of that was for political protection, but it shows that information flow isn’t always reliable from the “typical” sources.

Probably the biggest threat of COVID-19 is that it is showing a much longer life span suspended in vapor/droplets, which can effectively transmit the virus even after the infected departs that immediate area.  That’s pretty scary on its own.  If we do more testing, I suspect we’ll find far more test positive.  Hanks and his wife are now released from the hospital after five days of observation and in a house to “self-quarantine”.

How fast and globally this virus spread is another aspect that needs to be filed away for future reference.  So, while I still don’t think the mortality rate of confirmed cases or the limited population that is most at risk are that significant, I can at least admit that future pandemics are always going to be a significant threat to watch out for.

This whole situation is another good reminder that having the proper supplies to limit contact, disinfect, proper hygiene practices, etc. go a long way to avoid needless health risks or put those more susceptible at risk.  This is probably key here.  You may be perfectly healthy have a day where you just feel like shit, recover with a shot or three of whiskey and a good night’s sleep and then go visit your 80-year old parents the next day.  You could very well be the death-vector.  That’s important and something to consider, but it’s no different than the same precautions you should take with the regular influenza symptoms either.

Again, I’m painting this as an over-reaction, but I won’t discount the potential severity if this had been a more serious and deadlier virus we’ve seen in the past (but often killed the hosts so fast they burned themselves out).  There are numerous lessons to learn from this and that will continue until people accept the threat and mortality rate for this new virus strain and move on.

Having all the supplies well in advance…most have already done this.

Knowing when to limit public exposure.

Knowing when to self-quarantine before exposure if the job allows.

Reminder of common and routine hygiene practices.  Even after respiratory symptoms abated from patients, the virus remained alive in stool samples up to 12 days (studies published by Jinyang Gu, MD, from Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine in Shanghai, China).

Know the effects of whatever the virus is causing and know the health conditions of anyone in your home or who you associate with.  COVID-19 has shown to affect those with upper respiratory healthy problems and those with weakened immune systems; the elderly have proven the most susceptible.

Consider how to decontaminate and self-quarantine yourself or a family member if they become infected.

And for God’s sake, have several case of shit paper stored in your attic!

I do agree, this is a good place to get updates and info…likely more reliable than MSM…

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, I’ll continue to use the comparisons to the flu, H1N1 and other viruses.  Yes, they are different and with a variety of different factors, but they offer some perspective.  H1N1 was pretty bad, but the media didn’t over-react.  Much of that was for political protection, but it shows that information flow isn’t always reliable from the “typical” sources.

Probably the biggest threat of COVID-19 is that it is showing a much longer life span suspended in vapor/droplets, which can effectively transmit the virus even after the infected departs that immediate area.  That’s pretty scary on its own.  If we do more testing, I suspect we’ll find far more test positive.  Hanks and his wife are now released from the hospital after five days of observation and in a house to “self-quarantine”.

How fast and globally this virus spread is another aspect that needs to be filed away for future reference.  So, while I still don’t think the mortality rate of confirmed cases or the limited population that is most at risk are that significant, I can at least admit that future pandemics are always going to be a significant threat to watch out for.

This whole situation is another good reminder that having the proper supplies to limit contact, disinfect, proper hygiene practices, etc. go a long way to avoid needless health risks or put those more susceptible at risk.  This is probably key here.  You may be perfectly healthy have a day where you just feel like shit, recover with a shot or three of whiskey and a good night’s sleep and then go visit your 80-year old parents the next day.  You could very well be the death-vector.  That’s important and something to consider, but it’s no different than the same precautions you should take with the regular influenza symptoms either.

Again, I’m painting this as an over-reaction, but I won’t discount the potential severity if this had been a more serious and deadlier virus we’ve seen in the past (but often killed the hosts so fast they burned themselves out).  There are numerous lessons to learn from this and that will continue until people accept the threat and mortality rate for this new virus strain and move on.

Reminder of common and routine hygiene practices.  Even after respiratory symptoms abated from patients, the virus remained alive in stool samples up to 12 days (studies published by Jinyang Gu, MD, from Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine in Shanghai, China).

Know the effects of whatever the virus is causing and know the health conditions of anyone in your home or who you associate with.  COVID-19 has shown to affect those with upper respiratory healthy problems and those with weakened immune systems; the elderly have proven the most susceptible.

Consider how to decontaminate and self-quarantine yourself or a family member if they become infected.

I do agree, this is a good place to get updates and info…likely more reliable than MSM…

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6
"thumbs up emoji"    
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t think the government is overreacting.  The actions you’re seeing being taken by the government aren’t just about the lethality of the virus, they’re also because of how contagious it is.  As we can all see, this thing spreads like wildfire.  The steeper the infection curve, the more likely it is that you’re going to overwhelm the existing medical facilities.  In other words, if the number of people that ultimately need serious medical care from this thing all need it in the first month, the hospitals will be overwhelmed and people will die simply because care wasn’t available when they needed it.  If we can spread that same number of cases out over a longer period, say 6 months, then the volume of people that need care per day drops to a level the hospitals can deal with.  Quarantining MAY stop some people from getting sick but it WILL slow the spread, and that’s a critical part of what’s currently going on.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Italy gets flu every year just like we do.

It does not cause what is happening over there right now, and it sure as hell doesn't kill people at the rate they're seeing deaths.

We also get the flu every year; it doesn't get into nursing homes, kill half the patients, and have half the staff out sick.  You guys who are blowing this off are not paying attention to what is happening in old folk's homes when it hits. This is already happening, now, in the US, and people are ignoring it.

Just pointing to numbers reported by talking heads gives an inaccurate picture - take one nursing home as an example, the first one to publicly get it.   Half the residents are dead.   1/2 of those are counted as cases.   The others are not because they were never tested.  Just one single building has half as many un-counted deaths as the entire official US total.

This is a really simple math problem; simply spouting "flu kills X number!" is missing the point.  It's accelerating, and has rocketed past flu deaths anywhere it's gained enough steam.   Old folks, diabetics, and fatties are going to get hit hard in numbers much higher than flu.   The lethality in those groups appears to be legitimately well over 10% with access to first world care.

Current government measures, ham-handed as they are, are an attempt to slow down the rate of deaths in those groups.   Otherwise they'll lose even more of them, and also younger patients, as they run out of staff and equipment.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don’t think the government is overreacting.  The actions you’re seeing being taken by the government aren’t just about the lethality of the virus, they’re also because of how contagious it is.  As we can all see, this thing spreads like wildfire.  The steeper the infection curve, the more likely it is that you’re going to overwhelm the existing medical facilities.  In other words, if the number of people that ultimately need serious medical care from this thing all need it in the first month, the hospitals will be overwhelmed and people will die simply because care wasn’t available when they needed it.  If we can spread that same number of cases out over a longer period, say 6 months, then the volume of people that need care per day drops to a level the hospitals can deal with.  Quarantining MAY stop some people from getting sick but it WILL slow the spread, and that’s a critical part of what’s currently going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This is a valid explanation, but local level governments are overreaction to the point they’re trying to restrict personal freedoms.  I can understand the intent to “slow the spread” and ease the burden on the medical system, I just wonder if we’re making mistakes by some of the counter-measures.  School districts here in northern VA closed, schools back home in GA (where my wife teaches) are closing today.  For those parents who work and can’t self-quarantine, who’s watching the kids?  Does anybody really think thousands of teenagers are going to just sit at home watching Netflix and playing video games for two weeks?  Those little petri dishes will still be out socializing if they are unsupervised.

Financial burdens are going to hit some sectors pretty quick and pretty hard, and the damage to the economy will likely be far more painful the effects of this virus.

Quoted:

It does not cause what is happening over there right now, and it sure as hell doesn't kill people at the rate they're seeing deaths.

We also get the flu every year; it doesn't get into nursing homes, kill half the patients, and have half the staff out sick.  You guys who are blowing this off are not paying attention to what is happening in old folk's homes when it hits. This is already happening, now, in the US, and people are ignoring it.

This is a really simple math problem; simply spouting "flu kills X number!" is missing the point.  It's accelerating, and has rocketed past flu deaths anywhere it's gained enough steam.   Old folks, diabetics, and fatties are going to get hit hard in numbers much higher than flu.   The lethality in those groups appears to be legitimately well over 10% with access to first world care.

Current government measures, ham-handed as they are, are an attempt to slow down the rate of deaths in those groups.   Otherwise they'll lose even more of them, and also younger patients, as they run out of staff and equipment.
No, it isn't and that is an over-reaction as well, simply driving the panic button into overdrive.  For a very narrow segment of the population, I would agree, for the vast majority, it's not even close.  I’m not saying it can’t become more serious, but all the modeling is based on the faulty premise of the current data; it’s not severely affecting the majority of the population.  The infected are older and/or have more susceptible health conditions.  It’s devastating that sector of the population, but it’s still a very small sector.  Messaging and strategies should have been focused on that population and limiting contact with the rest of the population that could likely contract this virus, but not suffer any major symptoms or be at risk.

The virus is real, the threat to a very small and vulnerable segment of the population is real, but the threat to the general population is extremely low.  The panic is real and the damage to the economy will become more evident the longer this goes on.  Call me a panic-denier, I’m not downplaying the severity of the situation, just the over-reaction with enough data to say it’s not the worse we’ve seen in the past and we have never panicked this bad in the past either.  Something doesn’t add up.  This has been running unchecked for 45 days and we are only at 96 deaths and maintaining a 1.8% mortality rate against the number of confirmed cases.  If that rate holds, it’s bad, but nowhere near the death totals of last year’s flu deaths.  I agree we can’t blow it off, but I also caution against going into DEFCON 4 over irrational fears and media-induced panic.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No, it isn't and that is an over-reaction as well, simply driving the panic button into overdrive.  For a very narrow segment of the population, I would agree, for the vast majority, it's not even close.  I’m not saying it can’t become more serious, but all the modeling is based on the faulty premise of the current data; it’s not severely affecting the majority of the population.  The infected are older and/or have more susceptible health conditions.  It’s devastating that sector of the population, but it’s still a very small sector.  Messaging and strategies should have been focused on that population and limiting contact with the rest of the population that could likely contract this virus, but not suffer any major symptoms or be at risk.

The virus is real, the threat to a very small and vulnerable segment of the population is real, but the threat to the general population is extremely low.  The panic is real and the damage to the economy will become more evident the longer this goes on.  Call me a panic-denier, I’m not downplaying the severity of the situation, just the over-reaction with enough data to say it’s not the worse we’ve seen in the past and we have never panicked this bad in the past either.  Something doesn’t add up.  This has been running unchecked for 45 days and we are only at 96 deaths and maintaining a 1.8% mortality rate against the number of confirmed cases.  If that rate holds, it’s bad, but nowhere near the death totals of last year’s flu deaths.  I agree we can’t blow it off, but I also caution against going into DEFCON 4 over irrational fears and media-induced panic.

ROCK6  
View Quote
Be that as it may, this is the Survival Discussions Forum... and the concept of 'survival' is generally individual-focused, not society-focused.  It's not the same thing; what's right for the population isn't necessarily the same thing as what's right for yourself as an individual.  It sounds selfish, but society be damned when it comes to survival; that's all about taking care of #1.  Me making one last run to the store this afternoon for something I overlooked is (possibly) survival; 2M others doing the same thing at the same time is chaos.

That's just my opinion and isn't meant to be insensitive to the need to preserve the nation as a whole - of course it's important to do that too.  But discussions about it in this particular forum are likely to run counter to prevailing beliefs of what is best for the country... or at least not parallel.  From the survival perspective, if or why the general population is panicking is irrelevant - what I need to do to prepare for and protect myself from it are what's important.

I don't mean to be snarky and probably not doing that great a job of expressing it anyway.  I'll take the flames if they're inbound... no offense was intended!  
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you are intellectually honest, you will consider both things that support your opinion as well as those which do not support your opinion. Ignoring things that don’t support your opinion is foolish.
View Quote
Exactly.

Folks, keep open minds, you life may depend on it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So, do you believe the only denominator of those how may have contracted COVID-19 is only 4000+ in the US?  I'm not denying that people who have had the flu aren't included in the confirmed number, but I also agree that the number of those with COVID-19 is likely much, much higher than just the confirmed number.

You can't believe one and discount the other, which is why I don't buy the current mortality rate of COVID-19; if you want to believe that, than you need to accept only the confirmed cases of the flu...

I'll be the skeptic not the sheep herded into the pen of media narratives...

ROCK6
View Quote
Do you CCW??????????????????

What are the odds?

Better or worse than CV-19?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#10]
"In the last 24 hours, 349 people have died in Italy from the Chinese coronavirus, bringing the nation’s death toll to 2,158 on Monday, from 1,809 a day earlier."

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/03/16/italy-349-people-die-in-24-hours-coronavirus-death-toll-exceeds-2100/
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude,  you have been a member since 2001 and you ask such basic questions on firearms over the years. But you want us to stop talking about something that we are all dealing with on a daily basis?

If you don't want to talk about COVID-19, you can always not click on on those threads.  I'd rather talk about something that is right here and now, than ask what gun to buy, like you do every change you get.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dude,  you have been a member since 2001 and you ask such basic questions on firearms over the years. But you want us to stop talking about something that we are all dealing with on a daily basis?

If you don't want to talk about COVID-19, you can always not click on on those threads.  I'd rather talk about something that is right here and now, than ask what gun to buy, like you do every change you get.
View Quote
"thumbs up emoji"
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you CCW??????????????????

What are the odds?

Better or worse than CV-19?
View Quote
For me as an individual, the chances of bodily injury is much more than contracting COVID-19; and even if contracted, the statistics show I'm about 0.0% at risk given my age and health.  I would probably use the analogy of having loved ones with you.  I'm okay with my personal safety, but if I was visiting my parents or working around more susceptible older individuals, the more exposed I am the higher the chance I become a threat vector to them.

Now that schools are closed, there are kids all over the neighborhood...so much for "isolation"

I can separate the lack of risk of COVID-19 from the benefits of exercising personal/family protocols.  This is a great dry run to stress and test your own level of preparedness.  For those that can recall, we've had other viruses target various demographics, so while this is specifically fatal to older individuals, most with underlying health conditions, it may end up being infants, the active, etc.

There is also the need to slow the spread as symptomatic triage is pretty poor right now and it is stressing our medical system.  Add in that it's the beginning of allergy season and many parents are rushing their kids to the doctor because of a running nose and sneezing...that sneezing is likely a great COVID-19 transport and that makes it even worse as far as spreading goes.

Again, a low-threat, but very interesting dynamic of how a pandemic can turn society upside down in about 45 days, and the mortality rate of confirmed cases continues at 1.8%...but it will continue another week or two (or more depending on the attentions span of the media).  The only benefit is the hatred for Trump as the media loves sensationalizing a crisis like this.  If their was a socialist in the White House, this whole thing would barely get covered, just like H1N1 and nobody even recalls that between 12,000 and 18,000 died from it...yet we are in an absolute free-fall panic with just over 100 who have died yet still have an average age over 70 and with other health complications.  Again, it's important, but the perspective needs to be on your personal preparations more than the severity of the threat unless you (or a family member) fall into that narrow spectrum of victims.

What has me worried is that with all the attention on COVID-19, what isn't being reported? We haven't heard anything about the thousands of homeless people in California.  What's going on with the border? The media is the master at obfuscation, so while this current viral threat is important, don't get let the blinders force you into a myopic view that doesn't see other threats...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is a valid explanation, but local level governments are overreaction to the point they’re trying to restrict personal freedoms.  I can understand the intent to “slow the spread” and ease the burden on the medical system, I just wonder if we’re making mistakes by some of the counter-measures.  School districts here in northern VA closed, schools back home in GA (where my wife teaches) are closing today.  For those parents who work and can’t self-quarantine, who’s watching the kids?  Does anybody really think thousands of teenagers are going to just sit at home watching Netflix and playing video games for two weeks?  Those little petri dishes will still be out socializing if they are unsupervised.

Financial burdens are going to hit some sectors pretty quick and pretty hard, and the damage to the economy will likely be far more painful the effects of this virus.

No, it isn't and that is an over-reaction as well, simply driving the panic button into overdrive.  For a very narrow segment of the population, I would agree, for the vast majority, it's not even close.  I’m not saying it can’t become more serious, but all the modeling is based on the faulty premise of the current data; it’s not severely affecting the majority of the population. The infected are older and/or have more susceptible health conditions.  It’s devastating that sector of the population, but it’s still a very small sector.  Messaging and strategies should have been focused on that population and limiting contact with the rest of the population that could likely contract this virus, but not suffer any major symptoms or be at risk.

ROCK6  
View Quote
You're not understanding what I'm saying - not a denier, so much as just bad at math.

Yes, it is devastating to a narrow band of the population, and appears to be less lethal than the flu for the others.

But it is lethal enough in that narrow band to skullfuck our hospital system. Countries less than 2 weeks ahead of us on the curve are having fatalities and hospitalizations at several times the rate of seasonal flu.  We simply don't have the beds and staff to let this run.

The most vulnerable in the at-risk age groups can't avoid contact - they're in nursing or retirement facilities where they will get it from the staff, with perfect conditions for spreading.  If we magically keep half of them from getting it and then cut the mortality rate in half, that's still at least a couple hundred thousand deaths and hundreds of thousands of hospital stays.

This isn't some media invention.  The MSM is just now starting to figure out what is up; they got caught flat footed after all of the impeachment nonsense, and aren't exactly rocket scientists on the best of says.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You're not understanding what I'm saying - not a denier, so much as just bad at math.

Yes, it is devastating to a narrow band of the population, and appears to be less lethal than the flu for the others.

But it is lethal enough in that narrow band to skullfuck our hospital system. Countries less than 2 weeks ahead of us on the curve are having fatalities and hospitalizations at several times the rate of seasonal flu.  We simply don't have the beds and staff to let this run.
View Quote
I won’t argue that about over-taxing the medical system and that is a valid point.  While that doesn’t affect most, it can really exacerbate triage.  As I mentioned, you have moms bringing kids into their local doctor’s offices with allergies thinking it is COVID-19 (this coming from a doctor).  A coworker had her dental appointment cancelled and she asked about the severity of pain and what to do if it’s too much to handle? Dentist said go to the emergency room.

There are numerous compounding factors associated with this and I’m not even going to mention that only 6000 people across the US have been confirmed.  Some areas are getting overloaded.

Lot so lessons to learn from this despite my opinion that it is over-blown (the reaction, not the severity).  Biggest lesson for those that are healthy is to stay healthy and take it seriously.  You don’t want to be dependent on a medical system that is likely one of the best in the world when it’s stressed beyond capacity.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just pointing to numbers reported by talking heads gives an inaccurate picture - take one nursing home as an example, the first one to publicly get it.   Half the residents are dead.   1/2 of those are counted as cases.   The others are not because they were never tested.  Just one single building has half as many un-counted deaths as the entire official US total.

View Quote
Stop being a drama lama.

It's a novel virus. It is the same with all of them.

When we figure it out the rates will drop.

Just like sars swine flu aids and every other virus.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wow, you have contributed to the false data just by posting this. Let's take them one at a time, shall we:

1 - So I'm a man of facts! Let me toss some on you. The Coronavirus has killed less than 100 people in the United States!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During the 2010 swine flu, it killed 15,000 American's!!!

OK, data man, here we go.
- Yes, less than 100j.  SO FAR.   Your false logic is comparing a finished epidemic with one that is just starting.  That will double every 5 days or less for months - do the math
- This virus is 10 to 20 times more deadly than flu.  15k Americans die out of several millions infected.  Let's do some more math.  350 Million Americans x 80% infection rate = 330 million infected.  330 million infected x (let's go low) 2% CFR = 6-7million DEAD in the US alone.  Some countries are actually experiencing much higher than CFR than that.  Yes all this is probably worst case, but to say it is less worrisome than swine flu is, I'll be kind - ignorant of the reality.

And as far as ripping people for warning others, well part of a global emergency is communication to warn people so they can pre-empt and plan and help themselves/rest of the world.  So sorry that doesn't fit into your "let's not warn the sheeples" model of survivalism.  As someone on this site once said "you are trying to survive this...you need to LEAD this"

And ripping people for beginning their preps is counter to everything most of us stand for - creating a community of like-minded folks. Being an ass and capping on folks is not constructive at a time when we need constructive behavior.

And guess what? During emergencies unpredictable shit happens.  Groceries go dry, people freak.  Sounds to me you are countering the freak with a freaky-anti freak.

I'm happy if you just go do your business and not worry, hey, hit the bars and have a party, I don't care.  But don't tread on me my friend.......

RW

EDIT:  Sorry, that was a bit harsh and I apologize...but my points still stand.  Follow the facts and data, help others, expect the unexpected.
View Quote
You're flawed! We are going to the warm weather months how many people get the flu in the Summer?

So today 114 people dead know that I can place a K after that number for people dying of heart disease! Or diabetes! Even suicide! That's per day!  You can almost but the K by it! Sure there it might be less but it's not the point! Point is there is a lot more killing people!

Know that 60k people died in 2008-2009 flu? 60k yet nothing on the news about that! I'm not on people for taking action and getting food and water no not at all but if you feel you need to get ALL your food and water NOW! Your apart of the sheep! Do you think 60k will hit? I don't think so we are in March near the end of April is next and flu bugs don't like warm weather! Also, more people are not inside!

I have said this before if we hit 10k people dead I will call this something to worry about! You have about 9,900 people to go with the warm weather coming!

Fear mongers and the media are what is driving this! First, it was the bird flu than the swine flu! Where you even alive at that time or an adult? That's my question!?

Want to be the person who takes and argues with people who work at stores about the amount you take that's fine! You then are a jacka$$!

You don't care about your fellow humans! Your not a good Christian person! If your not religious to me you need to be!

Installing fear people does not make things better! It does not help society! Know I have seen and read far-left talking about stealing and rioting! As they feel it's ok to steal or help a person steal from a store! A woman was proud of her 10 years old son for blocking for a guy as he stole things! Guess your ere ok with this?

I'm sure you're not on with that! I assume you're an upstanding citizen!  I have seen fights over water bottles! Yet none of them touch the water filtration systems! I went to Walmart today and guess what I found the $20 meal survive kit there were 8 of them!

I see people buying the dumbest stuff! People buying eggs but they leave summer sausage alone! How about meal bars and protein shakes. Again left alone! I have seen people wipe out Frozen Salisbury steaks but leave frozen meatloaf alone! Also, pizza can't keep that in stock also! Yet there is a lot of canned chicken, rice and beans or the protein Bisquick!

So if fear mongers are not pushing it why are items like protein shakes and protein bars along with meal bars not being moved? Long shelf life and Don't need refrigeration!!!

Also to add the camping aisle is full! No one buying dehydrated food! Or buying white gas stoves even small propane stoves!  I guess we should ASSUME that electric and gas will be on?

A little over 10k around the world have died from this Coronavirus! 10k from around the world!!!! That's 10k less than the common flu just here in the United States! Again flu season is about at its end!

Gets above 60k people killed from the Coronavirus I'll send you two prime Ribeyes steaks! As thick as you want! That is from the disease only in the United States not from the deaths from fear mongers!
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're flawed! We are going to the warm weather months how many people get the flu in the Summer?

So today 114 people dead know that I can place a K after that number for people dying of heart disease! Or diabetes! Even suicide! That's per day!  You can almost but the K by it! Sure there it might be less but it's not the point! Point is there is a lot more killing people!

Know that 60k people died in 2008-2009 flu? 60k yet nothing on the news about that! I'm not on people for taking action and getting food and water no not at all but if you feel you need to get ALL your food and water NOW! Your apart of the sheep! Do you think 60k will hit? I don't think so we are in March near the end of April is next and flu bugs don't like warm weather! Also, more people are not inside!

I have said this before if we hit 10k people dead I will call this something to worry about! You have about 9,900 people to go with the warm weather coming!

Fear mongers and the media are what is driving this! First, it was the bird flu than the swine flu! Where you even alive at that time or an adult? That's my question!?

Want to be the person who takes and argues with people who work at stores about the amount you take that's fine! You then are a jacka$$!

You don't care about your fellow humans! Your not a good Christian person! If your not religious to me you need to be!

Installing fear people does not make things better! It does not help society! Know I have seen and read far-left talking about stealing and rioting! As they feel it's ok to steal or help a person steal from a store! A woman was proud of her 10 years old son for blocking for a guy as he stole things! Guess your ere ok with this?

I'm sure you're not on with that! I assume you're an upstanding citizen!  I have seen fights over water bottles! Yet none of them touch the water filtration systems! I went to Walmart today and guess what I found the $20 meal survive kit there were 8 of them!

I see people buying the dumbest stuff! People buying eggs but they leave summer sausage alone! How about meal bars and protein shakes. Again left alone! I have seen people wipe out Frozen Salisbury steaks but leave frozen meatloaf alone! Also, pizza can't keep that in stock also! Yet there is a lot of canned chicken, rice and beans or the protein Bisquick!

So if fear mongers are not pushing it why are items like protein shakes and protein bars along with meal bars not being moved? Long shelf life and Don't need refrigeration!!!

Also to add the camping aisle is full! No one buying dehydrated food! Or buying white gas stoves even small propane stoves!  I guess we should ASSUME that electric and gas will be on?

A little over 10k around the world have died from this Coronavirus! 10k from around the world!!!! That's 10k less than the common flu just here in the United States! Again flu season is about at its end!

Gets above 60k people killed from the Coronavirus I'll send you two prime Ribeyes steaks! As thick as you want! That is from the disease only in the United States not from the deaths from fear mongers!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I posted this earlier in this thread. Here it is again.

Quoted:
Hope is not a course of action. But when you lack skill, knowledge, and materials, hope is all you have.

What you are seeing is a panicked populace. Same thing happens on a smaller scale when a storm is coming. Same result....just on a more localized scale than this.

This is human nature. You are seeing it in action.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, you have contributed to the false data just by posting this. Let's take them one at a time, shall we:

1 - So I'm a man of facts! Let me toss some on you. The Coronavirus has killed less than 100 people in the United States!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Yes, less than 100j.  SO FAR.   Your false logic is comparing a finished epidemic with one that is just starting.  That will double every 5 days or less for months - do the math
- This virus is 10 to 20 times more deadly than flu.  15k Americans die out of several millions infected.  Let's do some more math.  350 Million Americans x 80% infection rate = 330 million infected.  330 million infected x (let's go low) 2% CFR = 6-7million DEAD in the US alone.  Some countries are actually experiencing much higher than CFR than that.  Yes all this is probably worst case, but to say it is less worrisome than swine flu is, I'll be kind - ignorant of the reality.

And as far as ripping people for warning others, well part of a global emergency is communication to warn people so they can pre-empt and plan and help themselves/rest of the world.  So sorry that doesn't fit into your "let's not warn the sheeples" model of survivalism.  As someone on this site once said "you are trying to survive this...you need to LEAD this"

And ripping people for beginning their preps is counter to everything most of us stand for - creating a community of like-minded folks. Being an ass and capping on folks is not constructive at a time when we need constructive behavior.

And guess what? During emergencies unpredictable shit happens.  Groceries go dry, people freak.  Sounds to me you are countering the freak with a freaky-anti freak.

I'm happy if you just go do your business and not worry, hey, hit the bars and have a party, I don't care.  But don't tread on me my friend.......

RW

EDIT:  Sorry, that was a bit harsh and I apologize...but my points still stand.  Follow the facts and data, help others, expect the unexpected.

@tayous1

Most of us here are just conversing about whats going on in society, and game playing the situation at hand.  Its the best real or simulation (depending on your "opinion") country wide SHTF we have seen in a very very long time.  None of us here are making the federal, state, and local governments do what they are doing, or making the media report what they are reporting.  Calm down, and grow up.  "anti exclamation point emoji"
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#20]
There is no evidence that warm weather will kill this epidemic.

Couple reasons:
1. your extrapolations are based on influenze, not coronavirus
2. what happens in summer? less social distancing
3. Singapore, Malaysia, etc... are hot weather....guess what - folks blast the AC...so if it's hot outside and it's 67 inside, are you in a warm environment or a cool one?

As for the rest of it, I've said what I've said....you can compare whatever completed epidemic you want to any other one that is in process...matching the numbers won't work.

EDIT:

I'll add these comments...

Harvey was the biggest event down here in the years I've been here.  What's going on now is way worse than pre-Harvey.  Is it due to panic? Yes.  Is it stupid to buy stuff? No.  This behavior is merely a stress response that occurs over and over and over, especially in Hurricane season as storms (which may or may not hit) approach.  It is important to factor in the behavior of the herd and talking about what we are seeing is important.

Secondly, nobody knows what is going to happen in the end.  Epidemiologists use mathematical models based on science, empirical facts to predict things.  They are the experts.  And even they get it wrong all the time.

We here are in the business of preparing ourselves, and hopefully others, for the worst case, not the best case. Understanding the math around the worst case isn't fearmongering, it is practical for those who don't lose their shit when they see the numbers.

I can't help that people are buying up shit they don't need, won't use or don't know how to use...it's human nature.  But damned if I'm not going to remain situationally aware.  And I'd be doing others a disservice if I didn't share.  Tell you what, if the mods tell me shut up, I'll gladly stop posting.

In the meantime, can you share with me your thoughts about how we best inform people without fearmongering?  I'm not baiting you, I'd really like to understand what approach you would take.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 4:38:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There is no evidence that warm weather will kill this epidemic.

Couple reasons:
1. your extrapolations are based on influenze, not coronavirus
2. what happens in summer? less social distancing
3. Singapore, Malaysia, etc... are hot weather....guess what - folks blast the AC...so if it's hot outside and it's 67 inside, are you in a warm environment or a cool one?

But damned if I'm not going to remain situationally aware.  And I'd be doing others a disservice if I didn't share.  Tell you what, if the mods tell me shut up, I'll gladly stop posting.

In the meantime, can you share with me your thoughts about how we best inform people without fearmongering?  I'm not baiting you, I'd really like to understand what approach you would take.
View Quote
Yeah, there is a little talk about more outdoors exposure and increased UV to hinder the virus spread, but there's nothing conclusive.  The biggest factor during the fall and winter is that there's more indoor activity where the viruses can thrive and spread.

I agree about staying situationally aware, that's not panicking, it's just being prudent.  This thing is still evolving and while I hate how the media can sensationalize the worse-case scenarios, a little common sense goes a long ways.

Me personally, I'm not worried about this pandemic.  I do worry about my parents and older relatives.  It's going to be impossible to inform people without fearmongering, only because it's the worse-case scenarios that shock them into taking it seriously.  This event will pass and I hope a fraction realize how being prepared is better than freaking out over not having TP; but I also fear, life will go on again and people will ignore all the lessons from this event.

We have at least one city (Philly) not arresting anyone except violent criminals.  Guess what that means?  A lot of people have family members living with them who have certain autoimmune diseases or they have older, more susceptible family members living with them.  Knowing how to set up your own decontamination or quarantine system is something to really consider.  Stay as healthy as you can, this is the one time you don't want to have to go to the doctor's office or emergency room if at all possible.  Surviving is about being flexible and modifying your routine lifestyle; this is a great opportunity to test how well you do.  Use this opportunity to calmly explain why being prepared is beneficial and not like the prepper-morons on TV.

My wife is down in GA, yesterday was her first day of tele-teaching.  Schools are out, but she spent the entire day engaging kids on their assignment.  She's always allowed me to do my thing but did make fun of the large stock of TP I would toss up in the attic.  She acknowledged just that simple preparation done during good time when the shelves are empty of TP...and that goes for everything else.

There is one significant caution that we always mention regarding OPSEC.  Price gouging is an integral part of the free market, but usually only seen during localized or regional disasters as it encourages companies to shift inventories to the needed areas (at a profit of course); however, some less scrupulous individuals have taken it to another level.  These individuals aren't being prepared, they're hurting the normal supply systems.  As you increase your inventories over the year or rotate certain stocks, practice OPSEC as any event like this will raise eyebrows as to why you have several hundred rolls of TP stashed in the attic (or canned food, dry food, etc.).

I've already identified some shortages and gaps in my personal supply system.  I will have to wait to correct those when this even slows down as does demand for those items...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So I'm a man of facts! Let me toss some on you. The Coronavirus has killed less than 100 people in the United States!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During the 2010 swine flu, it killed 15,000 American's!!! Yet there were not running to the store and buying all the TP and food that will go bad in a week!!!

So I asked why? Let's see the fear of the apocalypse drove down the economy and stock market!! Who do you think the donkey is going to blame? We all know who because if a Clinton was in the office this would have been only a few lines!!

Fact 30,000 people this year have died of the common flu! The one you might have caught and taken a week off for! In the worst flu year, 2017-2018 60,000 people died from the common flu!!!!!

Yet we have maybe 100 people who were above the age of 60 and most had health problems that died! Sounds a lot like the people who die of the common flu!!!

I have seen grocery store stockers be jumped for toilet paper also be stabbed for toilet paper in my area and we don't even have anyone less than a 5-hour car ride who has the virus!

We prep right? We were talking about being crazy during the swine flu of 2010 when the Obama administration was in! I'm I wrong? I know I was looked at as a crazy for stocking up more on canned food and buying a water purification system! Sure most of you saw the same BUT the old times who have gone through are many times before!

No flame to people starting out with prep work! Just picked a $hitty time to start or want a lot more stuff!

Remember this "A person is smart and can think rationally about what needs to be done!"

Yet " People are dumb stupid and irrational!"

Mob rules! Don't be a sheep or feed into the sheep!
View Quote

I’m gonna guess you live close to me, but it is here now
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:49:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So I'm a man of facts! Let me toss some on you. The Coronavirus has killed less than 100 people in the United States!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

What do the facts tell you now? Do you consider geometric growth a fact?

US has as of today reported 5k deaths, and the rate is accelerating; today it was about 1k per day.

If that does not slow down soon, covid19 will overtake the typical  yearly flu deaths within the month.

Let's hope the social distancing is making a real major dent in transmission rate. The virus cannot transmit itself
without help from people; you have to walk up and cough/spray/sing/talk/shout it near someone. How hard is
that to do? Surely we can use our big brains and outsmart the thing. We need to get masks for everyone,
low tech but should be very effective if everyone can just wear them when out and about in public.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#24]

During the 2010 swine flu, it killed 15,000 American's!!! Yet there were not running to the store and buying all the TP and food that will go bad in a week!!!
View Quote

Let's start the day you posted this-

US coronavirus deaths:

3/15 65
3/16 87
3/17 111
3/18 149
3/19 195
3/20 263
3/21 323
3/23 541
3/24 704
3/25 938
3/26 1195
3/27 1588
3/28 2043
3/29 2419
3/30 3004
3/31 3835
4/1 5116

Regular Flu killed 35K last year, we'll be blowing bast that in another couple weeks and still keep going.

Going to come back and admit you are wrong?

Info obtain by a post from @thesilvercord in GD
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#25]
But I just bought a case of hand sanitizer to flip!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
But I just bought a case of hand sanitizer to flip!
View Quote

Guy in my area has four 12-packs of TP stashed in the trunk of his car. He's selling them for $65 per roll.

Unless you're a hot chick, ... then he says:  "We'll work something out."  
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Guy in my area has four 12-packs of TP stashed in the trunk of his car. He's selling them for $65 per roll.

View Quote

Sounds like a guy that will get disappeared if this gets bad
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I plan of feeding fear and writing a blog, a book and moving to Canada because health care is better along with the education system so my child can see the world while we cosleep....
Make sure you check my blog for how to fight like a mountie.....

Step back, breath deep, embrace the Corona...i have
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Let's start the day you posted this-

US coronavirus deaths:

3/15 65
3/16 87
3/17 111
3/18 149
3/19 195
3/20 263
3/21 323
3/23 541
3/24 704
3/25 938
3/26 1195
3/27 1588
3/28 2043
3/29 2419
3/30 3004
3/31 3835
4/1 5116

Regular Flu killed 35K last year, we'll be blowing bast that in another couple weeks and still keep going.

Going to come back and admit you are wrong?
View Quote

I am clearly not defending the OP in any way BUT according to the CDC, 80,000 died due to the flu last year:

I would guesstimate deaths due to the flu to be somewhere about 40K /year over the last few years based on this from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

BUT then there is the following article where the CDC says 80K+ died in 2019 due to the flu:

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc-us-flu-deaths-winter/

Excerpt from article:

Last fall and winter, the U.S. went through one of the most severe flu seasons
in recent memory. It was driven by a kind of flu that tends to put more people
in the hospital and cause more deaths, particularly among young children and
the elderly.

The season peaked in early February. It was mostly over by the end of March,
although some flu continued to circulate.

Making a bad year worse, the flu vaccine didn’t work very well. Experts
nevertheless say vaccination is still worth it, because it makes illnesses
less severe and save lives.

“I’d like to see more people get vaccinated,” Redfield told the AP at an event
in New York. “We lost 80,000 people last year to the flu.”

CDC officials do not have exact counts of how many people die from flu each
year. Flu is so common that not all flu cases are reported, and flu is not
always listed on death certificates. So the CDC uses statistical models, which
are periodically revised, to make estimates.

Fatal complications from the flu can include pneumonia, stroke and heart
attack.

CDC officials called the 80,000 figure preliminary, and it may be slightly
revised. But they said it is not expected to go down.

It eclipses the estimates for every flu season going back to the winter of
1976-1977. Estimates for many earlier seasons were not readily
available.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Damn!  

And don't forget those cheap Canadian MAIDS that work so cheap, then you can write "SHTF" horror stories about your blender being broke and the maid having the day off and you had to squeeze your own orange juice- oh the suffering!

Sorry couldn't resist.
View Quote
Actually.....
I just posted how tropical fruits are hard to find here. My wife loves oranges and fresh juice....but up here in cottage country we get random power outages. So my cuisinart juicer wouldnt work.
Luckily, growing up as a poor Floridian in the 1980s, i was blessed with the knowledge to use a Tupperware juicer. Harvest orange in color.
After several tedious minutes of twisting and squeezing i was able to provide the much coveted juice to my wife.
Julia our maid. Whose from Quebec and speaks rough english was set back and amazed at my skills in the kitchen, and has asked me to teach her how get my juice when squeezing fruits.
It's a shame that people of her financial standing dont know such simple skills.
I sent her home with few oranges and a old thrift store aluminum juicer i had in the back of the cabinet,  i can only imagine the joy this small trinket and fruit brings to her 450 sq ft studio household of 5.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Facts: In fall of 2019 schools were already shutting down due to illnesses.

Facts: I was forced to wear a make during the swine flu epidemic.

Fact: Well never know how bad it truly could have been because of the measures.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess if he wants to "work something out" with chicks who have poopy butts...
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 4:18:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I am clearly not defending the OP in any way BUT according to the CDC, 80,000 died due to the flu last year:

I would guesstimate deaths due to the flu to be somewhere about 40K /year over the last few years based on this from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

BUT then there is the following article where the CDC says 80K+ died in 2019 due to the flu:

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc-us-flu-deaths-winter/

Excerpt from article:

Last fall and winter, the U.S. went through one of the most severe flu seasons
in recent memory. It was driven by a kind of flu that tends to put more people
in the hospital and cause more deaths, particularly among young children and
the elderly.

The season peaked in early February. It was mostly over by the end of March,
although some flu continued to circulate.

Making a bad year worse, the flu vaccine didn’t work very well. Experts
nevertheless say vaccination is still worth it, because it makes illnesses
less severe and save lives.

“I’d like to see more people get vaccinated,” Redfield told the AP at an event
in New York. “We lost 80,000 people last year to the flu.”

CDC officials do not have exact counts of how many people die from flu each
year. Flu is so common that not all flu cases are reported, and flu is not
always listed on death certificates. So the CDC uses statistical models, which
are periodically revised, to make estimates.

Fatal complications from the flu can include pneumonia, stroke and heart
attack.

CDC officials called the 80,000 figure preliminary, and it may be slightly
revised. But they said it is not expected to go down.

It eclipses the estimates for every flu season going back to the winter of
1976-1977. Estimates for many earlier seasons were not readily
available.

View Quote

@Fatboy148

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza

Also, the article you linked to is from 2018. They're probably talking about a flu season from 2016 or 2017.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@tayous1

Most of us here are just conversing about whats going on in society, and game playing the situation at hand.  Its the best real or simulation (depending on your "opinion") country wide SHTF we have seen in a very very long time.  None of us here are making the federal, state, and local governments do what they are doing, or making the media report what they are reporting.  Calm down, and grow up.  "anti exclamation point emoji"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RW

@tayous1

I think we can all safely say at this point that this is much worse than the "flu."  This is the reason we prep.  It may not be the SHTF many wanted but its the one we got.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think we can all safely say at this point that this is much worse than the "flu."  This is the reason we prep.  It may not be the SHTF many wanted but its the one we got.
View Quote

That may be the statement of the decade!

There are just too many unknown factors.  While the spread is bad for COVID-19, so is the seasonal flu.  There are still too many unknowns and while I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic, I'm just not certain how this will end and if there will be fall-time resurgence...not to mention a lot of misinformation from the media and conflicting reports from government agencies.  I'm also convinced there are a few different strains and mutations of COVID-19 out there, and while some healthy and/or young individuals have died, it's hard to say that their age or perceived health are exceptions until after an autopsy.  There's no doubt that the targeted demographic is older and most have one or more underlying/chronic health conditions, some are being affected more than others which makes this more disconcerting.  

Current estimates from CDC for the 2019-2020 flu season is somewhere between 24,000 to 63,000 deaths, which is why morality rates are hard to predict.  How many had the vaccine?  How effective was the vaccine? How many had underlying or chronic health conditions? How many contracted the flu, but just stayed home for a few days to let it runs its course and never calculated into the total number who contracted the flu this past year? And with a relatively mild winter, there were more people outdoors than compacted indoors.  So many factors that relating the two is interesting, but not conclusive for a correlation = causation hypothesis or comparison.

The flu season runs for about five months; we are at two-months since the first COVID-19 death and yes, the rate is pretty significant despite the raw number of deaths.  While I still think the majority of healthy Americans are not at serious risk...I think the biggest lesson from all this is how fast and far this particular surface-contact/airborne virus spread in just a few months...that was pretty significant.  If this affected more of the healthy population, it would likely have crippled many logistics, service, and support sectors running this country...something worse than COVID-19 will occur in the future again, so lessons learned now are pretty damn important whether you are fearful or nonchalant about current events.

I've got my "travel papers" and have to drive back up to VA this weekend.  I'm being more exposed than a I wish, but will take as many precautions as I can. At least with our new telework agreement, I can self-quarantine for longer periods if needed, but my work still requires on-site visits a couple times a week.  

But as @thederrick106 said, "It may not be the SHTF many wanted but its the one we got" is pretty telling and that this is still SHTF whether you want to minimize the impact/threat, or not.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Being a man of facts you should know how illogical it is to comare a death count that spanned a couple weeks to one that spanned a year.

As another poster has said we may have 'flu deaths' that were really coronovirus deaths.

But I'd point out 17 days ago the death count was under 100, today it's over 5600.  While that averages out to roughly 323 deaths a day, the problem is it's not linear.  It's still ramping up - and that's WITH stay at home orders in the most effected states.

I don't think this is TEOTWAWKI but it's also no longer 'just the flu'.  This is what we all prepped for - you have your supplies and know how to keep isolated.  Help others as you can and hunker down.  This will end at some point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being a man of facts you should know how illogical it is to comare a death count that spanned a couple weeks to one that spanned a year.

As another poster has said we may have 'flu deaths' that were really coronovirus deaths.

But I'd point out 17 days ago the death count was under 100, today it's over 5600.  While that averages out to roughly 323 deaths a day, the problem is it's not linear.  It's still ramping up - and that's WITH stay at home orders in the most effected states.

I don't think this is TEOTWAWKI but it's also no longer 'just the flu'.  This is what we all prepped for - you have your supplies and know how to keep isolated.  Help others as you can and hunker down.  This will end at some point.

Well this certainly didn't age well for the OP. Currently at 7,402 deaths and we haven't even begun to peak. But muh govern'mant is "bad"!
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Well this certainly didn't age well for the OP. Currently at 7,402 deaths and we haven't even begun to peak. But muh govern'mant is "bad"!
View Quote

Some people are just not good with math.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 2:51:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah OP just doesn't get it and still ignores the fact.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 3:23:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don’t blame the OP, for the past 3 years our government has told us that Trump is a Russian agent, the press spreads fake news on a daily basis and the scientific community is a mess with fake global warming bull crap.

I don’t trust the numbers one bit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total death estimates have been revised down two or three times this week to the point of looking like a really bad flu season.  I think the new estimates are sitting somewhere around 60,000 on the low end and that is after they were already revised down to account for mitigation efforts.

Also, CDC guidelines on what counts as a "COVID-19 related death" might be inflating the numbers:  https://www.foxnews.com/media/physician-blasts-cdc-coronavirus-death-count-guidelines

I'm not a COVID denier by any stretch but something isn't adding up.  Throw in the blatant constitutional violations that are going on right now and it is clear that people have every right to be skeptical.  

Only time will tell for certain, but I for one am not very happy with "muh gove'mant" right now.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Don’t blame the OP, for the past 3 years our government has told us that Trump is a Russian agent, the press spreads fake news on a daily basis and the scientific community is a mess with fake global warming bull crap.

I don’t trust the numbers one bit.
View Quote

Regardless of blame....

I felt the original post was a call to not heed the  the possible outcomes of the worst case scenario.  

I was under the assumption, the worst case scenario was kinda what this forum is all about.  While I would agree not to panic or feed a panic, I've never sensed a panic here, among people who intelligently consider and discuss the possibilities of the future.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#45]
@tayous1

What’s your thoughts now?
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@tayous1

What’s your thoughts now?
View Quote

Don't know if they would make any more sense than the first ones...
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's because fear mongers and the media made this worse! Also as I said we don't have a president that is a Democrat!

Notice if you look at facts that the Coronavirus has gone up a lot more since it's publicity! Why? People freaking out hoarding TP and other stuff! If social distancing and people only going out for essentials worked why are there so many cases? Everyone should be at home!

I work at a grocery store and see many of the same people each day hoarding food and water and TP! They don't need it they are just going out and buying what they can!

I also noticed that healthy ideas are always left behind! Have to get the sodium-rich meals! Yet if it's healthy we stay away! Our produce is awesome yet fewer people are buying fresh veggies! Yet they buy fresh meat and I'm guessing 95% of the people don't know how to preserve it!

So how many of you got time off work or got a check during the flu epidemic in 2017-2018 that killed 60,000 people? My guess is none!

"A person is smart but people are dumb, stupid and panicky!"

The more we restrict access to essential things for life the more we risk people getting this! Stores that limit hours! So now you have more people in a store with less time span!

Yet our government and companies that run grocery stores are only worried about the $$$! We have a system that will allow people to get what they need and not be in the store at all! Yet corporate will not pull the trigger and say it! Why because of $$$$!

Also thanks for showing your one of the FEAR MONGERS out there! I act like this is every day because I know that more people die of the flu each year then the Coronavirus! Again fact 2017-2018 60k people died in the US alone because of the common flu! Again you would have never head much about this flu if a Clinton or a Democrat was in office!

Yes I ask about weapons this is AR-15.com, right? To ask about weapons not fear mongers.com like you want it to be! Where you do not hear back in 2010 with the swine flu or bird flu before that? Fear mongers have made this worse with people hording and not staying at home!!

Not saying the flu is not real just saying it would not be as big if fear mongers did not take over!

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Perhaps your comments would be better posted on CNN or MSNBC, I don't recall anyone on this forum ever panicking or feeding a panic.

I did see you panicking about the panic, and mongering fear of the it though....

Perhaps some of the DISCUSSIONS here are bit out there at times, but in general there is less panic on this type of forum, simply because by our nature, we don't need to.

Since all this shit went down, I really didn't do much but make a few normal yet bigger grocery trips,  and prematurely pick up some crap I use normally, and I didn't really even need toilet paper.

Because of my forethought and supplies in this case, I've done what I can help those panicking and in need in the current situation. We've been sewing masks, making ear straps, sharing the best intel we can to those who don't know where to look, and getting things like hand sanitizer and N95's to the young parents,single moms, and hospital workers.  Doing what we can to calm it, not make it worse.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's because fear mongers and the media made this worse! Also as I said we don't have a president that is a Democrat!

Notice if you look at facts that the Coronavirus has gone up a lot more since it's publicity! Why? People freaking out hoarding TP and other stuff! If social distancing and people only going out for essentials worked why are there so many cases? Everyone should be at home!

I work at a grocery store and see many of the same people each day hoarding food and water and TP! They don't need it they are just going out and buying what they can!

I also noticed that healthy ideas are always left behind! Have to get the sodium-rich meals! Yet if it's healthy we stay away! Our produce is awesome yet fewer people are buying fresh veggies! Yet they buy fresh meat and I'm guessing 95% of the people don't know how to preserve it!

So how many of you got time off work or got a check during the flu epidemic in 2017-2018 that killed 60,000 people? My guess is none!

The more we restrict access to essential things for life the more we risk people getting this! Stores that limit hours! So now you have more people in a store with less time span!

Yet our government and companies that run grocery stores are only worried about the $$$! We have a system that will allow people to get what they need and not be in the store at all! Yet corporate will not pull the trigger and say it! Why because of $$$$!

Also thanks for showing your one of the FEAR MONGERS out there! I act like this is every day because I know that more people die of the flu each year then the Coronavirus! Again fact 2017-2018 60k people died in the US alone because of the common flu! Again you would have never head much about this flu if a Clinton or a Democrat was in office!

Yes I ask about weapons this is AR-15.com, right? To ask about weapons not fear mongers.com like you want it to be! Where you do not hear back in 2010 with the swine flu or bird flu before that? Fear mongers have made this worse with people hording and not staying at home!!

Not saying the flu is not real just saying it would not be as big if fear mongers did not take over!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just, wow
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top