Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2019 5:57:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll got shot by the "muh property rights bruh" crowd.

In seriousness though, there are worse places than a state with an ever renewing source of protein.

Don't count on it though. Pigs and deer are smart. When the hinting pressure increases, they makes themselves scarce.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The biggest problem with the whole I plan to go somewhere during SHTF because the location has _______ is that 10,000 other people already have the exact same plan.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Screw the wild game supply. Fo for the women.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, moved my neighbors down the supply chain
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought that at first but it became so crowded I decided it wasn't worth it.
That and while delicious I not sure wild hog is a good survival food source with the potential health issues.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
read some accounts of the great depression era in rural america.  A time, btw, with a lot fewer people and a lot more open land.

Big game like deer and the like were wiped out pretty quickly......
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
There's plenty of deer and wild pork in Texas because 99 percent of the population currently gets their meat from Krogers, HEB, Albertson's, Brookshire, Wal-Mart, Sam's and Costco.

If those grocers go away, so will the deer and wild pork.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#8]
It was my understanding that those pigs carry disease and eating them is ill advised?
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was my understanding that those pigs carry disease and eating them is ill advised?
View Quote
They can yes. You need to be sure they are cooked properly and be selective about the ones you eat but many people eat them without issue
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Game and fish here went from cook well to shoot them and leave them where they fall. Don't even touch them.
Dressing them and cooking needs to be done carefully.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of lakes in east Texas too....Also HOT and HUMID half the year.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#12]
only if you buy a lot of land. Texas is like 98% private land, and we are a long time pro gun, anti tresspasser state. Most of the guys that hunt hogs down here have night vision, thermal, cans, and enough land that nobody would ever find you if you chose poorly.

I'm in Dallas on like a quarter acre. So hunting is out for me. The good news is though you'll probably never freeze to death, but otherwise it will be swampy balls 1/2+ of the year.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#13]
we
are
full

sorry..Bama...

besides Texas is HORRIBLE

Hot
Humid
Hurricanes in the south
Tornadoes in the north
Liberals in the middle.
1/2 swamp and 1/2 desert
no public lands
MASSIVE Gun restrictions
Democrats run the state and like vampires suck the Liberty right out of you.
People are mean
MOST woman are ugly and the purty ones only put out for rich oil men from NYC
it's mandatory you buy a pick up upon arrival and electric cars are damn near forbidden
2/3 of the men are gay(ugly woman)and very aggressive pepper your angus..

oh and we HATE anyone east of Beaumont, West of El paso and NORTH of the Red River though
we love our Mejican overlords.
.so...stay home, go to Florida and I hear New Mexico is nice...just don't use I-10 to get there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#14]
As mentioned before...when the economy goes in the crapper, people will poach the hell out of wildlife.
Wars in Africa and then the economic downturn in S. Africa showed me that. We collected snares to the point that we had to store them in the warehouse! Easily 10 snares a week on our private land. Snares made of barbed wire catching animals like duiker, impala and once a kudu (much bigger than deer). Got to the point where there was almost no game left. We stopped hunting completely. So I suspect with the amount of shotguns and rifles around, the wildlife will get hunted out really fast.
As far as disease in wild hogs - just cook the hell out of them. No cured meats off wild hogs. Even with our pasture raised pork I'll run into one once in a while that I won't make cured meats out of because of the way it looks and smells...but that's probably just me being picky (taint etc).
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There's plenty of deer and wild pork in Texas because 99 percent of the population currently gets their meat from Krogers, HEB, Albertson's, Brookshire, Wal-Mart, Sam's and Costco.

View Quote
This.

Texas population - 28 million souls

Deer - 3.6 million (estimated)

Wild hogs - 1.5 to 4 million (estimated)
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Plus, I'm sure Texans generally would be very welcoming, in the Post-Apoc/Post-SHTF era, to dealing with an invasion of folks from Alabamy, Kentucky, Ohio, and Missouri, looking to hunt down and eat whatever game animals Texas still has roaming wild.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
we
are
full

sorry..Bama...

Hot
Humid
Hurricanes in the south
Tornadoes in the north
Liberals in the middle.
1/2 swamp and 1/2 desert
no public lands
MASSIVE Gun restrictions
People are mean
it's mandatory you buy a pick up upon arrival and electric cars are damn near forbidden

oh and we HATE anyone east of Beaumont, West of El paso and NORTH of the Red River though
.so...stay home, go to Florida and I hear New Mexico is nice...just don't use I-10 to get there.
View Quote
You forgot venomous snakes, mosquitos, ticks that will make you sick with lyme an allergic to red met, chiggers, cactus, and locust trees.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#18]
just remember our summer temps can get up to 110 for 60 to 90 days and unless you have a well water ain't exactly easy to find.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're ok if you cook it before eating it.  Pig tartar is a bad idea, wild or not.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

SHTF better hurry up or those pig numbers won’t be as appealing. I’m doing everything I can to get TX to take depredation seriously and implement an official program.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You forgot venomous snakes, mosquitos, ticks that will make you sick with lyme an allergic to red met, chiggers, cactus, and locust trees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
we
are
full

sorry..Bama...

Hot
Humid
Hurricanes in the south
Tornadoes in the north
Liberals in the middle.
1/2 swamp and 1/2 desert
no public lands
MASSIVE Gun restrictions
People are mean

Ah, dude, ... it's called 'Deep Woods DEET.'  Kills everything. Monster ticks, chiggers, red bitey ants, mosquitoes, et al.

For areas likely to be rich in snakes, you just wear those things called 'snake boots.'

Easy-peasy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd never make it in the heat. I'll stay where I am.

Besides, I like fresh water.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I love it here, but hogs will be hunted to extinction within a few years easily. It won't take long for the 25 million people in texas to take care of the entire wild animal "problem" in the state.

And humid Texas in the summer w/o AC is brutal.  When you're a kid it's not so bad, but one once you get a bit older enjoy that wonderful AC, not having it for a week is doable.  Not ever having at again AND not having running cool water to shower with will really suck ass.

There's better places to be for SHTF.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
read some accounts of the great depression era in rural america.  A time, btw, with a lot fewer people and a lot more open land.

Big game like deer and the like were wiped out pretty quickly......
View Quote
This. Every jerkwad with his grand daddy’s rifle is going to blast away at anything that movies a week after grocery stores close. IMHO The first month after any kind of major event is going to be bedlam
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Dude, you're already in one of the best states to ride out any unrest event. You just got to find the right part of the state which is not hard. Just find a place that you like that's as far away as possible from a major population Center. And a major population Center in Alabama is nothing compared to a major population Center in Texas. Set in your supplies, have a secure source of water, and enjoy Dixie it's actually pretty good here.

Oh, by the way we're full , I was just talking to a guy that already here
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dude, you're already in one of the best states to ride out any unrest event. You just got to find the right part of the state which is not hard. Just find a place that you like that's as far away as possible from a major population Center. And a major population Center in Alabama is nothing compared to a major population Center in Texas. Set in your supplies, have a secure source of water, and enjoy Dixie it's actually pretty good here.
View Quote
Generally I'd agree ....

But I just read a Fox News story about how AL is undergoing a mass infestation of aggressive yellow jackets that build these super-huge nests all over the state.

It said this happens every 7 years or so after a few mild winters and early wet springs. The story had a picture of a nest attached under the awning of a house that was said to be almost the size of a VW 'bug' and contained like, 8K 'worker' yellow jackets in it. Bigger nests were said to hold 10K bees.

No likely at all ... I think I'd rather take my chances up in Michigan's U.P.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top