Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2018 10:12:36 AM EDT
Wanted to get some feedback on this.

Personally, I wrap a certain quantity of bills in 3 layers of aluminum foil, then vacuum seal it.

Stored in a fire resistant safe as well. 45 minutes at 1300F IIRC.

My logic is that the paper bills wrapped in aluminum foil will be more protected from combustion/burning if there was a house fire like food on a backyard grill is when placed in aluminum foil.

Seeing the after effect of a fire in a paper store room is that reams of paper did not fully combust as they were tightly stacked.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
While I get the idea, of long term storage is your end game why not wrap them in insulation of sorts inside the safe? The whole thing is a bit overkill, but if you’re going that far you might wrap insulation  and an air gap around said vac bag to create a heat barrier. Flames can’t get into the safe but sheer heat can eventually and the foil might be best worn as a hat without indirect temperature isolation
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#2]
My safe has an insulated document compartment. Cash goes there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy two asbestos m60 gloves fill one with cash stuff other one over it. Put in safe!
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wanted to get some feedback on this.

Personally, I wrap a certain quantity of bills in 3 layers of aluminum foil, then vacuum seal it.

Stored in a fire resistant safe as well. 45 minutes at 1300F IIRC.

My logic is that the paper bills wrapped in aluminum foil will be more protected from combustion/burning if there was a house fire like food on a backyard grill is when placed in aluminum foil.

Seeing the after effect of a fire in a paper store room is that reams of paper did not fully combust as they were tightly stacked.
View Quote
how bout not keep it where there is likely to be a fire
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Convert it to cheap gold.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Convert it to cheap gold.
View Quote
And keep that in a stone bowl so it doesn't end up mixed in the rubble?

I know fires are a thing that can happen anywhere, but I put more effort into preventing a fire, and then preventing a big fire over protecting individual things.

Spend some of that cash on more fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, cleaning chimneys and hardening around your fireplace/wood stove.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
My bank protects my money from fire pretty well.

I keep some walking around cash in small bills on the top shelf of my safe for hitting the local yard sales.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Exhaust pipe insulating wrap, wrap it and place it in the safe.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a fat 50 with two layers of 5/8 Sheetrock on all sides and top and bottom along with a list of denominations and count.

Stored in the safe ,on the floor .
Holds quite a bit of cash and easy to move if necessary. .

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I use my safe.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]
PVC pipe buried in the backyard?
I keep mine in my gun safe though.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]
When we built the house the plumber sank 3' of 12" pvc vertically in the basement floor, put a brass cap on it amongst the rest of the plumbing.  Totally not noticed, sealed and below grade. I keep mine there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Worried about a house fire? Why not store the cash somewhere unlikely/impossible to be affected by fire?

PVC pipe underground, a bank, at the bottom of your pond. Whatever.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Glass Mason jar and a shovel will solve your fire worries.  Has worked for generations, just remember which rose bush marks the spot.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Duplicate due to computer freezeup.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I use one of the small document fire safes inside my fire rated gun safe. Hopefully that will be enough to protect it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Hopefully you have a fireproof safe with fireseals. If you are really worried get a small document safe with fireseals and put it in a large fireproof safe.

Que ice cube meme.

Could also just get a sprinkler put in the safe room.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:06:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I use one of the small document fire safes inside my fire rated gun safe. Hopefully that will be enough to protect it.
View Quote
That's how I do it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I live less than a half a mile from a two engine 24 hour fire station.

I have a 1 hour rated UL safe.

Some of my funds are paper and some is in silver.
View Quote
While I get where you're going with that I can say, from first hand experience, that doesn't mean a thing.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's how I do it.
View Quote
#metoo
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#24]
A good gun cabinet with a decent fire rating and fire seals probably will be fine. However, it wouldn't hurt to put the cash in an auxiliary fire safe box in the gun safe. You could also put the cash inside a cork box. Cork is an amazing fire shield. It was used on some of the early space capsules as reentry shields for that reason (and it was light).
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#25]
a few bottles of water in the safe will  increase your hold time add more if wanted.
put in various places, limits temp to 212 or so
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Generally just carry JIC cash, separate from wallet w/ DL & CCW. Docs (titles/deeds/savings bonds/ etc.) that need to be secure are in a Fireking vertical file cabinet. Rated for 1 hr @ 1700/ 30' drop / water resistance (hose/sprinkler).
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a small fire safe inside my big 90min safe.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Buried some cash a few years ago. Vacuum sealed it twice then put in a zip lock bag then sealed it into a PVC pipe capped sealed on both ends. Buried it in a corner of a shed few inches down in the dirt. Couple years later we had moldy money. Sure it cleaned up and was OK but I fear if I waited any longer it would have been wasted.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#29]
https://www.foxnews.com/us/woolsey-fire-destroys-australian-directors-home-burns-savings-kept-in-fire-proof-safe

This article is telling. He didn't trust banks. I think there must be some ratio of cash to keep in a safe, but you need to be prepared to lose it all.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/woolsey-fire-destroys-australian-directors-home-burns-savings-kept-in-fire-proof-safe

This article is telling. He didn't trust banks. I think there must be some ratio of cash to keep in a safe, but you need to be prepared to lose it all.
View Quote
Totally thought about this today.  I think the story is BS by the way.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Go to Amazon and enter “fireproof document bags”. There are many models and sizes and they don’t cost very much.  Then just put it in your safe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Go to Amazon and enter “fireproof document bags”. There are many models and sizes and they don’t cost very much.  Then just put it in your safe.
View Quote
This is what I was going to say, if your going to go through the trouble of packing in aluminum foil vac sealing/ zip lock bags etc just get one of these to keep your docs inside and put it in the bottom of your safe.  If you have room to spare I would go with a small hard safe in your bigger safe.

I just got one of these to keep cash and important docs in my bigger gun safe which is pretty full...  If I had room to spare I would go with another hard safe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V44H34/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top