Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 9:05:17 AM EDT
I am getting me a 2006 Ural Gear Up in a couple weeks... They are 2-wheel drive and are great off road. They carry 1200 pounds. You can even get them with the Machine gun mounts

Newer technology with old world looks. They are maintenance intensive though...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I think they are awesome. Not exactly famous for reliability, but awesome none the less. Have you driven a hack before?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Never driven one. Saw this and started researching. Can't wait to get mine
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never driven one. Saw this and started researching. Can't wait to get mine
View Quote

I haven't either. But I hear it is an enlightening experience. Of course there is that old saying...a sidecar " is a fine way to screw up a perfectly good motorcycle". At least you can haul gear.

Is this the model where the sidecar wheel can also be engaged.

ETA: looking at this picture more...seriously, that thing is awesome. Also I seem to remember that the spare tire will fit all wheels from that time frame but the newest ones wont, which is dumb. But, the newest ones do have disk brakes. Most guys seem to prefer the older model. On advrider there is a forum dedicated to hacks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always thought a dual sport motorcycle would make a great BOV.  I have pannier racks on my KLR and strap on soft-bags and go camping pretty regularly.  Even with a load I can get back to some amazing and remote places.  My friend that I camp with has aluminum panniers on his bike and will regularly load up w/ 75 lbs of stuff and he can still maneuver around quite well.  I have seen some pretty cool off-road trailers for motorcycles as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi watch and the videos on YouTube on of off road Ural riding there is one that shows a one wheel drive hack that keeps getting stuck and the two wheel drive Ural making it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Why did you choose the Ural over some sort of ATV?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Because I can use the Ural for everyday road use. Commuting and just general fun. ATVs are limited in daily use.. While an ATV is more robust for off-road use it is illegal to drive them on the road here in NM
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with playing on adv rider and reading up on these.

They are simpler older tech in many cases but do have their things to watch.

One fella rode his across the country after buying it, flew in and got it and stayed here and there on the way back.  Took his wife as well.  Good ride thread.

As far as why this over an atv, street legal can mean a lot.

Don't know about bugging out, just depends on what your goals are.

If going fast with no time to really load up, fine.

If you have time to load up, not going to haul much.

If you live bugged out, they make sense as a get home vehicle that does not care as much about the weather and it can get around wrecks and stuff in the road if there is space off road for it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a friend ride one from San Diego to the southernmost tip of Argentina. He spoke highly of it and its ruggedness. Around here is a club of them that ride all back roads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top