Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2015 6:23:52 PM EDT
I have noticed most preppers seem to spend more money on one or 2 items far more than others. Some food, seed etc. others guns/ammo, communications, facilities, medical supplies. The list goes on and on, granted at some point you must set priorities; some are dictated by what you are expecting. Most cannot prepare for every scenario, so how do you set your priorities and what do you spend the most on?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Prepping wise the homestead. Kind of broad, but I will drop about 5 grand on a dairy setup and Dexter cow this summer alone.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Reloading components. Nothing can be substituted.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Land with agricultural potential.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Guns and ammo came first and I've probably spent the most there, but I've pared down.

Land is the other one. When constructed the dwelling will be an easy number one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Guns, Guns and more Guns.  More of an addiction to collect than prepping but I do that also..  2015 I need more ammo, food, fuel, and gear.  I need to add some NV and finish some projects too.  I could get by on what I have, but more is always better.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Over the years...

Real-estate and planes...  

Then T&M equipment and machinery.

Made the most $$$ in independent transactions, in RE.

A beach front condo I owned and later sold to a stupid cardiologist prior to the recent economic panic, is notable.

He was a total dishonest asshole in the transaction and some years later after the deflation, when he sold it, he lost abt $1mm.

I never figgered out what the saying...

"What comes around goes around"...

Means...

But it probably applies to him.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm more or less done with the homestead.

Other than some 'nice to haves' we are all set.

Now it's going to getting my financial preps squared away.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think the question is quite fair.  I spend far more money on food every year (with very little put back) than I spend on anything else.  

However, my biggest priority is water.  Our town has had problems twice with it's water supply this year, and without water stored here it was bitterly obvious where we were lacking.

Since then, my list of priorities is made by doing without everything.  The first thing that I desperately need (like water) becomes priority one.  After that, I get hungry....so food becomes two.  Then I get cold, so clothing and shelter become three (in a kind of combo...).  And so on.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#9]
We budget and spend about $60 a month on things like: ammo, food storage, LTS food, home security, tools, gun stuff, first aid, Appleseed event, etc.

We are at the ‘rotation & replacement’ phase, so we spend a lot of time on the ‘hobby of prepping’ like practicing cooking with storage food, rotating gas, and running the RV fridge & generator.  

Our biggest single expenditure is saving/investing for retirement/future; about 28% of our income.  Some pre-tax and some after taxes.  

During the gear gathering phase we budgeted monthly for things.

Cheap stuff that I like to do is read this and other forums, participate in political action, and write emails, snail mail, and phone regarding political issues, things that piss me off and things that deserve a note of congratulations or encouragement.   I tend to use snail mail for the encouragement/congratulation notes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Reloading components. Nothing can be substituted.
View Quote

This is a key thing imo. Consumables are a big thing to us; whatever the category, not just regarding gun stuff. Ammunition & reloading components sure, but food & medicine, toilet paper, whatever. Most major problems - whether short term or long term - cause disruptions in supply lines & delivery.

So If it's something that we can't grow or make, I like having a lot on hand.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:51:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Reloading components, the last ~3 years has been tough finding components. It looks like pistol powder is finally starting to break loose. Other components have been more readily available for the last 6-8 months.

Fortunately I had stocked up and have been able to keep shooting as much as I like. I'll be restocking soon though.

I convinced my oldest daughter and her family to plant a big garden this Spring. I'll get to pay a lot of the expenses, fuel for the tractor to turn the ground, fencing to keep deer out, seed and so on. We worked a deal with a neighbor for composted cow and horse manure as fertilizer.

We've been taking AG courses on canning and preserving our harvest.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#12]
MOST spend more on guns they don't train with enough and ammo they refuse to shoot in practice cause it's so expensive more than anything else.

Would venture to bet that most preppers have more weapons than months of food in storage.

I.e, if you have 12 total weapons do you have AT LEAST 12 months of food?

Single biggest $$ category for most over the long term (if they are serious enough) usually ends up being land and infrastructure.

The last few years it's been a close tie in expenditures between infrastructure upgrades and thermal and night vision.

Replacing a lot of storage food and pretty much only buying Mt. House now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Debt.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#14]
land/home is probably at the top of the list for most people.. it's expensive, but it's also the best tool you have for prepping. Bugging in to a somewhat fortified (don't go crazy here) place that you know like the back of your hand and can live on is a big plus in any type of "disaster".

Outside of that, my biggest prep is buying tools that can help me to live life today the same as I would if we encountered a disaster. I build a lot of my own furniture, I repair everything myself, I make a lot of other things myself as well...Even if you currently work a job, live your life so that you can support yourself if the flow of money stops, if you can't work the job, or if you have to fix things because nobody else is available to do so...

Sorry if this seems like I'm just rambling, I'm just spewing out what I find important. Guns, yeah, they have a place, ammo and reloading components have a place too; you need to be able to protect what is yours from thieves and robbers, but you also need to protect it from attrition, Mr. Murphy, and other things that will knock your important gear off-line. I've prioritized having a way to fix things; some people may prioritize having spares...

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Food / water / debt
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#17]
University!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MOST spend more on guns they don't train with enough and ammo they refuse to shoot in practice cause it's so expensive more than anything else.

Would venture to bet that most preppers have more weapons than months of food in storage.

I.e, if you have 12 total weapons do you have AT LEAST 12 months of food?

Single biggest $$ category for most over the long term (if they are serious enough) usually ends up being land and infrastructure.

The last few years it's been a close tie in expenditures between infrastructure upgrades and thermal and night vision.

Replacing a lot of storage food and pretty much only buying Mt. House now.
View Quote

Agree.

If you look at total overall costs my house and land come in as number one.  

Vehicles and gas expenses come in as number two.  (can probably throw original purchase price of dual sport and ATV in this category as well.)

Every day living expenses to included food and electricity come in as number three.  

Construction and out building project, fun outdoor gear and equipment consumables like chainsaw parts, tools, ATV parts for plowing and logging etc. come in as number four.  

And the last I would probably list would be extras, like electronics, TV, internet, phone etc.

I used to spend a lot on guns and ammo but haven't bought anything in at least a year.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo. Even after all debt, make sure retirement is secure, and funds are tucked away. Although an all out apocalypse would be interesting, I know reality sits on loss of job, disability, major disaster (i.e. hurricane, tornado, home fire, etc) are where my real 'preps' are at.

Lately, I have been thinking of house fire (we had a major gas pipeline explode in my county this morning). If I lost everything, would I have enough insurance or capital to replace it or rebuild my life??....
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#20]
My most expensive purchase was also my cheapest expense, I paid 50k for my acreage 15 years ago, I saved 65k in rent alone in that time, and 100k if you include the taxes I didn't have to pay on the 65k I didn't need to earn. land clearing and road building cost 15k, the cabin was only about 1.5k at 1999 prices, next is probably tools and hardware, but even these were purchased at estate sales and such. building materials are next, used stuff when I can. just about everything I own was bought used (except personal items and high tech stuff). Food is probably as cheap as it has ever been in history, there is no reason not to fill many mortar cans with beans ,peas and grains.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Bingo. Even after all debt, make sure retirement is secure, and funds are tucked away. Although an all out apocalypse would be interesting, I know reality sits on loss of job, disability, major disaster (i.e. hurricane, tornado, home fire, etc) are where my real 'preps' are at.

Lately, I have been thinking of house fire (we had a major gas pipeline explode in my county this morning). If I lost everything, would I have enough insurance or capital to replace it or rebuild my life??....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The S may never H the F, but I WILL become to old to work, and I WILL have emergency financial expenditures.

These are certainties.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Animal feed and reloading components. I'm buying a small wood mizer sawmill in the spring since that is going to be cheaper than the lumber I need to replace the barn that came with this place.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Animal feed and reloading components. I'm buying a small wood mizer sawmill in the spring since that is going to be cheaper than the lumber I need to replace the barn that came with this place.
View Quote

Which model and how much does it cost?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lt-10. Buying and picking up direct in Indianapolis for 3,400ish.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Lately, I've spent most of my "survival" funds on items that will ultimately end up saving me money while making me more self sufficient. Long term food storage is a big part of this. I simply can't afford to buy all of the #10 cans of stuff I want in the quantities I desire from the prepping companies. That is where a small initial investment in items like a pressure cooker, Food Saver with Mason jar attachments and a dehydrator come in very handy. The more stuff I can grow and put away myself, the less expensive stuff I have to buy. The dehydrator allows me to do pretty much all of my own fruits and vegetables. The Food Saver and jar attachments allow me to pack my own powdered/granular foods, small grains, drink mixes, etc. The bigger bulk grain items can go into buckets and will get the Mylar bag and o2 absorber treatment. And with the pressure cooker I can put away a number of meat items I like that will store up to three years in good conditions. So that leaves far less items I have to purchase from the prepping companies. I'm of the mindset that prepping doesn't have to be an activity that totally drains your wallet. In fact, I kinda enjoy being frugal and continue to look for new ways of doing things cheaper or more efficiently.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:29:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Infrastructure .....
Before that it was...debt....lts....ammo...etc.
Now its homestead cost.....
Just spent a few bills getting a secondary water source going on my place....

Next few purchases will be gear related or more infrastructure ......I see the funds going into the land before the gear locker.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top