Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 7:58:22 PM EDT
or any other southern river fish?

Is it even possible?

My father is an avid fisherman, and I am competent.  I was just thinking about how many fish we pull out of the river through trought lines and hoop nets.  It seems that fish would be an easily dried and used prep.

Thanks for any input.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, we used to do it fairly often. Fish has been salt dried for many centuries.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, we used to do it fairly often. Fish has been salt dried for many centuries.
View Quote

I was just wondering if catfish would work, or did I need a flakier fish.  I found absolutely nothing on the internet about it.  That lead me to the conclusion that either:

a.) any fish would work, or
b.) catfish was a poor choice
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the only concern that I would have is fat content... catfish is fairly fatty IIRC, that may make it more challenging to salt-dry but I'm sure it can still be done...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top