Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Trying for the jillionth time......

ETA #5:  Screw it, here's a direct link:

Aaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!

Try this--- Click pics for vid:

Compression makes the vids crappier, but that's the best I can do.

AAR:  

1.)  Whoever said the MSS Intermediate bag (the black one) is good from 30f to 0f is a lying bastard!  My ass was only saved because I brought an SOS Escape bivvy with me as back-up.  That little sucker was marvelous inside the intermediate bag.  The difference was night and day immediately.

2.)  Trying to carry 5 liters of water inside the hydration compartment of a Rush 72 bag sucks.  It deforms the pack and kind of crucifies you while wearing it.

3.)  Apparently there is some kind of technique to lacing your boots for downhill treks, and I didn't do it right.  Stubbed and bruised toes sucks.  Note to self, experiment with lacing next time.

4.)  Don't drink the night before a hike.  It makes you even more dehydrated and miserable feeling the next day.  I knew better.

5.)  Waldo, JNK556, and CarbineDad are pretty cool fellows, and I thank them for the trip!

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
AAR

On WEDNESDAY morning, my left big toe nail decided to turn grey and sore, in sympathy with Variable I guess.

Teen Spirit?  Smells great but is forking heavy.  --- 7 1/4 lbs is to much for a tent.  It was 20 years ago too -- what was I thinking then.

Took but did not use -- fleece pants (made a OK pillow), goretex rain pants, SAK and fix blade knife, and tent stakes .

If you thought process when pitching the tent includes "What is the wind direction" and "it should be OK in this wind", get out the god darned tent stakes, find a rock, and stake out the tent.  A boot, water bottles and pack stuck in the inside corners after the wind comes up is not a real alternative.  A Sierra Designs Meteor Light will really move in a big wind.

Took 6 1/2 liters of water -- had 1/4 liter at the truck.

One esbit tab didn't get my dinner water boiling.    Thank you JNK for the use of the stove.

Cheese in Mountain House Lasagna is a sticky as they say -  easily came off in camp with a scotch brite and a very little water.

Trekking poles do NOT require fencing pliers to lock them in position.  

Advil is a gift of the Gods.

Great bunch of guys to camp with, once I caught up to them on the trail after they were in the camp site.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys are great, and did good for your first trips, and for jim bob first trip in like 20yrs.  Really, the key to backpacking is find what works, and stick with it.  I got lucky, after my first trip of almost dying with waldo, I ordered up my stuff, figure out what worked, and stuck with it.  I don't change anything from trip to trip, only thing I changed this trip was minusing the filter for extra water, and coats and such.  Once you find the combination, never change it.  K.I.S.S

Oh, and Variable, we are not giving you any more beer, you are one gibbering sob when you get a little in you.

It was a great trip guys, next spring, they'll be more, and you'll be the first on the contact list when waldo and i hash it out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Great trip report guys...this is what it is all about: recreational trips for camaraderie while learning valuable lessons about your gear and your environment!  Some humorous comments, but still good lessons that we call all associate with or more importantly learn from.

Water is the biggest challenge and carry enough water for a few days is not easy task.  You really highlight the challenge.  Again, great AAR,

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Carrying water causes it's own problems. The more you carry the more you sweat climbing, the more you burn through it.  I probably carried the least amount due to my knee and still ended up with some left at the end of the trip.

The other PITA was the cold and wind up there. It was fleece, watch cap and gloves cold up there when you weren't moving. After you started humping a bit you had to stop, strip off all of that, put it in your pack and take off hiking again. Stop to take a break and you had to start putting it all back on again or get pneumonia.   When we were moving, I had nothing but a T shirt on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great trip report guys...this is what it is all about: recreational trips for camaraderie while learning valuable lessons about your gear and your environment!  Some humorous comments, but still good lessons that we call all associate with or more importantly learn from.

Water is the biggest challenge and carry enough water for a few days is not easy task.  You really highlight the challenge.  Again, great AAR,

ROCK6

Carrying water causes it's own problems. The more you carry the more you sweat climbing, the more you burn through it.  I probably carried the least amount due to my knee and still ended up with some left at the end of the trip.

The other PITA was the cold and wind up there. It was fleece, watch cap and gloves cold up there when you weren't moving. After you started humping a bit you had to stop, strip off all of that, put it in your pack and take off hiking again. Stop to take a break and you had to start putting it all back on again or get pneumonia.   When we were moving, I had nothing but a T shirt on.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Variable, that last vid you have must have been on a side trail that waldo and i didn't explore.  I don't remember seeing that view.  I know it had to be twords the end there, as that mountain across the valley where the road is is the dead giveaway....

BTW, here is my Chimney Top vid: http://s67.photobucket.com/user/joe7170/media/north%20fork%20hike/100_2015_zpsfb4982fb.mp4.html
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

We're pretty liberal with water and it's an area I don't take much risk...it's a bitch to balance when you start planning routes with water source access and calculating water needs.  I've seen too many heat injuries from very healthy Soldiers who just pushed themselves a little to hard and far.  Most don't know their body well enough to notice the signs but it's something that you really need to pay attention to.

Yeah, this is the biggest challenge when backpacking, especially with fluctuating temperatures.  Layers are you friends, but you bring up a good point about when you stop; your body cools off fast, sometimes too fast.  On the flip side, once you get moving, especially over rough terrain, you heat up quite fast as well.  Layers are critical as are fast drying clothes.  

Good stuff all around and enjoyable AAR,

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Waldo,

Do you ever have any issues with the suspenders under the pack's waist belt?

I wore my suit with the suspenders today, and realized how good that must be.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:34:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like you guys had fun

I'm glad I didn't go though...I started a new job Monday which requires me to work in the warehouse for the first 2 weeks for training.

I haven't spent a week laboring in a long time and my ass is fucking beat

Idk how I would have done it starting out sore from a hike...I'm getting old and soft

Speed
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm glad I didn't go though...I started a new job Monday which requires me to work in the warehouse for the first 2 weeks for training.

Idk how I would have done it starting out sore from a hike...I'm getting old and soft

Speed
View Quote

Oh for fucks sake
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh for fucks sake
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

Oh for fucks sake

Yep, that is my department.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Thats a nice area guys. Was  there last summer.  Thanks for all the pics and details.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top