Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2013 2:05:21 PM EDT
Anyone used one of these?

I'm looking for a stove (starting to hunt now before the season starts) to go in a smaller spot in the house.  Been checking Craigslist, and there are several stoves available, at good prices, but they are a bit big for the spot I am wanting to use.  Home is only 1100 square feet.

Pros:  well made?  from reviews I've read
           made in the USA
           small (important to me for where I want to place it)  only 25 inches tall, and 10 inches wide?  seems very small - could be a con too lol
           portable (only 56 pounds, there are pics of people using them in RVs and boats)
           very efficient (very low waste compared to other stoves
           supposed to heat up to 1500 sq ft
           can add a thermo electric generator to charge batteries
           can add a coil to heat water (I mean easily add, as in buy and put in from the dealer)

Cons:  small firebox vs other stoves, which would require more work on the front end to chop the wood up smaller.
            price (about 3700 from the dealer)

Anyone with any experience with these stoves?  Thanks   (IIRC someone posted about them a while back, but I couldn't find it)

link 1
link 2
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:51:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Max wood size and firebox size are limiting factors.  Frequent loading, limited burn time.

If you are using it as a regular heat source, estimate the amount of BTUs you need, then dig in their literature or call them and ask how long of a burn that stove can maintain your required BTU output.

Light weight likely means little or no firebrick, not too good for keeping coals glowing.

That looks like a work of art.  Looking at the Price and Value page under About, it is very expensive.

Just for comparison, in 2007 at our previous house I installed the biggest stove made by Pacific Energy, cost $1700.  In 2012 I replaced the Class A chimney that they say you don't need (much of) and roof flashing, with the double wall insulated stuff from Menards.  Chimney sections 6 of them, rain cap, Tee, elbow, a little double wall black pipe inside, and a new roof flashing ran about $800.  A new hearth pad was $350.

Of course, it didn't look like a spaceship, but it heated our 1700 square ft house through the winter.

Here's another fancy parlor stove in a similar size if that is what catches your eye.
http://thelinco.com/product/parlour-t-4000-wood-stove/

Finally, search the Arfcom of woodburning Hearth for that model see if anyone has reviews.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top