Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2012 4:48:43 PM EDT
Well, looks like a chance  Winter Storm watches are up for my area, for tomorrow night -Saturday.  Looks like 6-10" is the forecast, although we don't normally ever get what they forecast, except for that Sandy storm thing, when I sit on arf all night saying it wasn't going to be bad, only to wake up the next morning in the dark, and 2 feet of snow outside.

I'll just go ahead and say it again, it won't be bad, I ain't worried  Maybe it'll be a fun storm, instead of a big ol PITA
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes being your northern neighbor I wouldn't mind alittle snow either
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
you guys just got done with the last one.

Yanno they have forecast snow here and i have plans to travel all over the area (200 miles) on saturday. I have an order of cast bullets to pick up too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
you guys just got done with the last one.

Yanno they have forecast snow here and i have plans to travel all over the area (200 miles) on saturday. I have an order of cast bullets to pick up too.

Well, the cleaning up of trees still continues in some places, snow was all gone in about a week

There was a dusting up on middle mtn. last weekend when me and Waldo did some hiking....

Call me nuts, but i have a itch to go again this weekend, too bad it's fucking Christmas and I have shit to do
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I'm preparing for a downright blizzard this time.  Currently it is raining, but wind is well up over 40mph, had to drive home holding the steering wheel slightly to the right to off set wind

Tomorrow is looking like temps in the 20's, maybe lower, winds up over 40mph, and heavy snow possible.  Sounds like a fun time driving to work in the AM
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope so. I haven't drained the 2 stroke genny from the Sandy threat and I need an excuse to run it so the carb doesn't gum up

That and if we get a terrible blizzard on Saturday, I can close up shop and take a 4 day weekend instead of 3

Speed
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I hope so. I haven't drained the 2 stroke genny from the Sandy threat and I need an excuse to run it so the carb doesn't gum up
That and if we get a terrible blizzard on Saturday, I can close up shop and take a 4 day weekend instead of 3

Speed

Well, I don't give a fuck if it snows knee high on a 10ft Indian, but i hope the damn power don't go out.  That is a PITA in the winter.  I don't wanna have to dig out the wood stove again.  Although my 3 new Dietz lanterns did come in, unfortunately I don't have any lamp oil yet
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Well, I don't give a fuck if it snows knee high on a 10ft Indian, but i hope the damn power don't go out.  That is a PITA in the winter.  I don't wanna have to dig out the wood stove again.  Although my 3 new Dietz lanterns did come in, unfortunately I don't have any lamp oil yet

No way to run your furnace off a genny?

My plan is to run the furnace off the genny in the day, then switch to the kero heater in the bedroom at night. I have 2 quarts of lamp oil on hand, but I'd rather burn candles

Speed

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

My plan is to run the furnace off the genny in the day, then switch to the kero heater in the bedroom at night. I have 2 quarts of lamp oil on hand, but I'd rather burn candles

Speed

No gennie.

Plus, I still live with the folks
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Speed

No gennie.

Plus, I still live with the folks

Harbor Freight genny: $90

Do it yourself pigtail/single outlet box: $25

You're set

Speed

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, this is the warning up right now....

.WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM FRIDAY TO 2 PM EST SATURDAY...

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES...WITH UP TO A FOOT AND A HALF ALONG NORTHWEST FACING SLOPES ABOVE 3000 FEET.

* WINDS...WEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH.

* TIMING...HEAVIEST AMOUNTS FRIDAY THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...UNTREATED ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED. STRONG WINDS WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW...WITH NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER WINDWARD TERRAIN.

* TEMPERATURES...MOSTLY IN THE 20S.

* WIND CHILLS...IN THE SINGLE DIGITS EITHER SIDE OF ZERO.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Well, I don't give a fuck if it snows knee high on a 10ft Indian, but i hope the damn power don't go out. That is a PITA in the winter. I don't wanna have to dig out the wood stove again. Although my 3 new Dietz lanterns did come in, unfortunately I don't have any lamp oil yet

winter is the best time to loose power.  you dont have to worry about spoiling food.  just stick it outside in coolers.

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

.WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM FRIDAY TO 2 PM EST SATURDAY...

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES...WITH UP TO A FOOT AND A HALF ALONG NORTHWEST FACING SLOPES ABOVE 3000 FEET.

* IMPACTS...UNTREATED ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED. STRONG WINDS WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW...WITH NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER WINDWARD TERRAIN.

here is mine:

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM FRIDAY TO 7 PM EST SATURDAY...

* HAZARD TYPES... SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS... 4 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING... RAIN WILL CHANGE TO LIGHT SNOW LATE TONIGHT. SNOW INTENSITY WILL INCREASE FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT.

* IMPACTS... STRONG WINDS WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW. TRAVEL WILL REMAIN DIFFICULT DUE TO AREAS OF REDUCED VISIBILITY AND SNOW DRIFTING OVER ROADS.

* WINDS... WEST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES... FALLING INTO THE UPPER 20S.

* VISIBILITIES... LESS THAN ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES IN SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#13]
We've got a few inches on the ground here in the Midwest and I love snow I just don't like the 50mph winds that are with this snow...
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

here is mine:

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM FRIDAY TO 7 PM EST SATURDAY...

* ACCUMULATIONS... 4 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING... RAIN WILL CHANGE TO LIGHT SNOW LATE TONIGHT. SNOW INTENSITY WILL INCREASE FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT.

* IMPACTS... STRONG WINDS WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW. TRAVEL WILL REMAIN DIFFICULT DUE TO AREAS OF REDUCED VISIBILITY AND SNOW DRIFTING OVER ROADS.

* TEMPERATURES... FALLING INTO THE UPPER 20S.

* VISIBILITIES... LESS THAN ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES IN SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

I gots you beat
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, power is out in a few sporadic places in town I hear....
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well, looks like a chance  Winter Storm watches are up for my area, for tomorrow night -Saturday.  Looks like 6-10" is the forecast, although we don't normally ever get what they forecast, except for that Sandy storm thing, when I sit on arf all night saying it wasn't going to be bad, only to wake up the next morning in the dark, and 2 feet of snow outside.

I'll just go ahead and say it again, it won't be bad, I ain't worried  Maybe it'll be a fun storm, instead of a big ol PITA

i want this.

we got cheated last year - just one real snow fall. and it didn't even last 24 hours.

The weather is one of the few things I miss from NY state.  (The others are family, wegmans, and apples).
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I gots you beat

I have lamp oil.

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Ugh, looks like we're getting ice...
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I gots you beat

I have lamp oil.

I also has plenty of LED lights and a ton of batteries

I still have one Dietz Blizzard about half full
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll push some of the 8-10" I just had to go out and shovel down your way...
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#21]
They ain't sure of the timing in my neck of the woods, but they know it is coming.
Let 'er rip. The woodshed is full, the generator(s) are full, the freezers are full.
I would prefer it wait until Tuesday, when my MIL gets on the big bird and flies home, but I am thinkin' she is gonna get her first taste of real weather in 20 years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#22]
How is it that OP is south of me (actually most of the posters) and has had so much more snow?

Not from a snowy clime, I consider White Christmases overrated
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How is it that OP is south of me (actually most of the posters) and has had so much more snow?

OP lives a bit higher than you, just guessing??  Also, I'm in the mountains
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i want this.

we got cheated last year - just one real snow fall. and it didn't even last 24 hours.

The weather is one of the few things I miss from NY state.  (The others are family, wegmans, and apples).

Don't forget the fried cakes, the grapes, the wine and the sweet corn.

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I forgot to go by walmart and see if the TP, and the bread was sold out yet

I did stop by Tractor Supply to see if they had a can to put kerosene in, and all they have is retarded 1 gal gas cans.  Store was empty though
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#26]

And the big ski
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP lives a bit higher than you, just guessing??  Also, I'm in the mountains

Well, PA is a state where they put an observation tower on top of the high point

And the big ski area claims to have 700 vertical feet to ski.  The lift lines at Heavenly or Squaw Valley have more vertical change than that.

And Overscoped storm warning covers me too.

One thing I am sure of is that the Mayans never even imagined snow.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I am sick of winter. And tired.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

Well, I don't give a fuck if it snows knee high on a 10ft Indian, but i hope the damn power don't go out. That is a PITA in the winter. I don't wanna have to dig out the wood stove again. Although my 3 new Dietz lanterns did come in, unfortunately I don't have any lamp oil yet

winter is the best time to loose power.  you dont have to worry about spoiling food.  just stick it outside in coolers.

That and it's always easier to heat a place than to try and cool it off.

If it got real bad, I could crawl into my down sleeping bag and go to sleep. If it's 100 F out with humidity, I just have to suffer

I'll take cold and no power over hot and no power any day

So, anybody else in the mid-atlantic see anything yet? We have some flurries so far...

Speed

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Shoveled and ran the snowblower for about two hours this morning.
Heavy winds combined with 12 inches of snow yesterday.
Light snow with lots of wind today.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#30]
looking for an update on WV , heading through there this afternoon on my way from Fort Bragg, NC to Ludington, MI.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Snowmaggedon has just started. There is a tenth of an inch on my sidewalk.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll see your skit and raise you about 4" or so.

Been snowing like all get out all day, white out conditions most of the time.  No idea how much snow is out there, as the winds have been 40mph all day.  I do know I have a 2' drift out back here by the house
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
looking for an update on WV , heading through there this afternoon on my way from Fort Bragg, NC to Ludington, MI.

If you are planning on going over the Alleghenies, I would suggest against it
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

We got about 1/2 an inch now. We have wind and blowing snow too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still blowing like mad here, I have drifts all over my yard.  I ain't going out to look, but there are foot deep drifts easily....
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still blowing like mad here, I have drifts all over my yard. I ain't going out to look, but there are foot deep drifts easily....

they are still saying I am going to get something.  I am near Washington PA.

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST SATURDAY...

* ACCUMULATIONS... TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW FOR THE NORTHERN WEST VIRGINIA PANHANDLE... FAR EASTERN OHIO... AND PITTSBURGH AREA. TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES IN INDIANA... LOWER WESTMORELAND... LOWER FAYETTE... MONONGALIA COUNTIES.

* TIMING... SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO SATURDAY BEFORE BEGINNING TO GRADUALLY DIMINISH LATER IN THE DAY.

* TEMPERATURES... IN THE UPPER 20S.

* VISIBILITIES... LESS THAN ONE-HALF MILE AT TIMES IN SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Brother and his wife are spending the night somewhere in Elkins. We were headed that way but we will probably go to Roanoke in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Brother and his wife are spending the night somewhere in Elkins. We were headed that way but we will probably go to Roanoke in the morning.

Lets see, your down next to Lewisburg right??  Yeah, I would not come up this way at night, and have to cross those mountains on that road.  The snow isn't really the bad part the 40mph winds driving it are.  The further south you are the better you are.  Go to VA, the sun is probably shining

Still calling for 6-10", although like I said you can't tell as it is blowing like mad.  I'll give a report when I decide to get up in the morning.  Storm warning is through 2pm tomorrow, and is forecast to end tomorrow afternoon, although I normally expect a extra 6-12hrs of snow up here as it seems to hang in the mountains longer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 4:36:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Snow report:

I can still see the tops of my grass.

My plans for today will happen.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Still snowing pretty hard, wind seems to have died a bit, probably 6" or so in the yard, and drifts over a foot in places.  This is just what I can see from the kitchen window, I haven't went outside yet
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Still snowing pretty hard, wind seems to have died a bit, probably 6" or so in the yard, and drifts over a foot in places.  This is just what I can see from the kitchen window, I haven't went outside yet

Have fun, we got shit There might be 1/2 and inch.

Speed

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have fun, we got shit There might be 1/2 and inch.

Speed

I'll take a pic or so when I decide to go out later...
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#43]
 I don't understand.  

Christmas just means that we make sure and bring up a stock tank and some hay close to the house for the reindeer.  

What is this WHITE

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
 I don't understand.  

Christmas just means that we make sure and bring up a stock tank and some hay close to the house for the reindeer.  

What is this WHITE

You got Reindeer in TX??  Now this I need to see.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Here's some shitty pics to make you guys happy.

Not much snow on my truck, I already sweeped it off, but wind did most of that for me....

Nice 3-4' deep drift next to my deck
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I swept my walk with a broom to sweep off CarbineMom's car this mornig.  We got little, but quite breezey at times
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Just went up to the local market, main roads are just slushy, the secondary road I live on is packed snow/ice.  Came the back way home, and those roads have not been plowed, but not very slick in my truck with 4x4, and good tires, and a good foot
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes!  It snowed Christmas Eve!  We have a white Christmas this year!!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#49]
BOHICA
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Calling for a ice storm here, 1/4-1/2" ice
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top