Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2012 2:14:38 PM EDT
Been looking at setups for a while, mostly DIY type stuff though.  Went to the 2012 Solar tour up in Fairbanks yesterday and had the opportunity to look at some commercial collectors and systems and was quite impressed with them.  

Anybody here dealt with them and have advice to offer?  I'm looking to reduce my heating costs for hot water mainly.  I've got a boiler for heat (and a wood insert stove to supplement) and hot water.  I hate hearing my damn boiler run in the summer.  My 'plan' is to set up a system that will either preheat water going into my hot water system or completely heat my hot water in the summer and some during the shoulder seasons.  I realize winter is really out of the question b/c of where I live
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
tankless water heater.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
tankless water heater.

That's a 'tankless' job.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
tankless water heater.

Guessing you're suggesting using that in the summer and then using the boiler in the winter?

ETA: I've got a 2.5 bath home w/ dishwasher and washing machine.  Roughly 1800 sq ft if that matters
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
tankless water heater.

Guessing you're suggesting using that in the summer and then using the boiler in the winter?

you can use it year round IF you can get LPG delivered. if not there are electric ones. the electric ones arent as nice as the LPG versions but they do get the job done. no water to keep hot wasting fuel/electricity all year long. the initial cost comes with some sticker shock but after your first utilities bill it will lessen the shock some. LOL.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
tankless water heater.

you can use it year round IF you can get LPG delivered. if not there are electric ones. the electric ones arent as nice as the LPG versions but they do get the job done. no water to keep hot wasting fuel/electricity all year long. the initial cost comes with some sticker shock but after your first utilities bill it will lessen the shock some. LOL.

Yeah I was looking at the sticker... DAMN!  Propane sucks up here in the winter.  Gets to -60+ F here
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
the electric ones are ok and can handle up to 5gpm depending on the model. you can go one of 2 ways, either a large single unit or several smaller POU units. the problem is you will have to have each wired in and they require a good chunk of power. Rheem makes some really good ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top