Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2012 8:57:25 AM EDT
So a friend of the family has a 1995 ext cab 1995 f-250 diesel 4x4 that he was talking about selling to me for 2,000. I am a Ford fan and have owned many but never a diesel. Im not a total noob on the subject as I drive truck and know this and that but I was wanting to hear some oppinions on the truck. It would be about perfect for what I want but I want to hear what you guys have to say, the good and the bad. What say you?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Great trucks/engines.. Few issues (icp among them)..
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Great truck with an engine that will run forever but notorious for the under valve cover wiring harness coming unhooked . Mine did at 180k that the ICP, CPS and HPOP o rings are common problems. All the above has been replaced on mine but the CPS and I have a new one sitting on my toolbox waiting.

Miles ?

Price sounds ok if not beat to shit
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The engines themselves are great, but i hope you are good at diagnosing sensor/ electrical issues.  Every time something fails on mine i want to set it on fire and just walk away.  I hate messing with wiring gremlins with a pasion.  What sucks about powerstrokes is if a sensor or input device fails, it doesnt just run poorly.  It simply dies, and usually without warning.  Mine only has 180,000 miles on it, hell its just barely broke in.  But its still an older truck, and requires a small fortune in maintinence.  Also take a good lool at the oil pan the older ones have a habbit of rotting out and leaking.  Consider changing the uvch as a matter of preventive maintinence, it will fail at some point.  Get a code reader.  Get one that runs on a laptop if you can swing it.  You will be glad you did.  There is little on these trucks you cant fix yourself, you just  need to know what what to look for.  Diagnostics is key.  Dont just throw parts at it till its fixed, you will be broke and pissed.  I had to learn that the hard way.  Also realize than any piddly service parts like belts and hoses and whatnot are rediculously over priced compared to the same part on a gasser.  Thats pretty much true for any diesl truck regardless of ford, gm, or dodge.  Regardless,  $2000.00 is a steal if its decent.  I dont regret buying one, but there is a learning curve involved.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Best motor that Ford ever built.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ford didn't build it so that explains a lot!
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got the same truck as a 94.5 model year and it's a powerstroke, but barely.  $2000 is a steal, I paid $8K about 5yrs ago for one with 125K on it, has around 150K now.  Things I've replaced that were outside of expected maintenance items - 2 fuel pumps, had the TTB rebuilt (new balljoints, etc), CPS, glow plug system - the plugs, harness, and relay, $60 for clutch pedal bushings, JB Weld to patch the fuel bowl.  Starting to get a little cancer on the rockers and over the fender wells.  Mine was a farm truck and was cosmetically decent, but needed some TLC.  I also went through all the brakes, U-Joints, new shocks, fluids, etc. She's good to go now mechanically and when the bed rots off I'll go flatbed.

If you're at all mechanical you can do most of the works yourself as it comes up.  I did everything except rebuild the TTB.Between Google and Youtube it's all been covered.

The drivetrain and that 7.3 will last forever.  You can comfortably pull 10,000 pounds with it.  There's enough power to get the job done(220 HP, 400 torque), but it's not a hopped up Cummins or a newer Ford.  If it's not going to be your daily driver and you'll use it as the beast of burden you can't go wrong at that price.

- JP
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#7]
If it is an automatic, the tranny is suspect. The 95 is better than the older ones, but still a suck system. The manual trans in them is quite good, however.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it is an automatic, the tranny is suspect. The 95 is better than the older ones, but still a suck system. The manual trans in them is quite good, however.

My 94 with 260k never had any tans problems other than the tree stump that put a big dent in my pan smashing my trans filter

As someone said diagnosis is the big problem there are sensors for the sensors one thing goes out and you need a good scanner to track it down

I'm wanting a AE scanner pretty bad it would pay for its self with the first use.

ETA that year has the crappy independent front suspension (my biggest gripe) so will probably need ball joints

ETA2 someone told me parts are a lot cheaper at an International dealer vs Ford but I cant confirm
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

2nd best.  The 3.0 L is the best
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the 7.3 and love it!They will run on veggie blend also so it cuts fuel cost.Run from the 6.0 unless you have lots of money!CPS is 22 dollars get one for your glovebox!
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one, great motor.
I'd still have it if it was 4x4.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]
its a steal as long as its not beat to hell with 800K miles on it or something.
you'll find diesels are going for much much (2-3-4 times that amount) higher than 2K.
i have a 93' gas motor 250 that just wont die. wish it was a diesel like my 350 though

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top