Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2010 1:56:32 PM EDT
They are everywhere, easy to catch & to keep caged, they will live very well off scaps so would be easier to feed than rabbits, large litters, fast growth and large size, especially when pen fed.

When I was a kid my Mom said my Grandpa loved possum and would catch them, cage them and fatten them up before eating them. I have eaten some unusual animals, raccoon, groundhog and muskrat but never a possum. I have caught some large ones and thought about it but the smell kept me from it.

I know after living off can food and rice for a month that a fat possum roasting over some hot coals would look pretty tasty.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Diner pic
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a few recipes on the web, might make em tastier.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#3]
In other news, some guy on here had the brilliant stroke of genius to raise lizards and survive on their tails, since they can regenerate them.  You martians with these crazy ideas realize there are creatures on MY home planet of EARTH called RABBITS and we regular people EAT THEM.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure would.  I guess it would be better than starving. Probably not too many things I wouldn't eat in a survival situation.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They are everywhere, easy to catch & to keep caged, they will live very well off scaps so would be easier to feed than rabbits, large litters, fast growth and large size, especially when pen fed.

When I was a kid my Mom said my Grandpa loved possum and would catch them, cage them and fatten them up before eating them. I have eaten some unusual animals, raccoon, groundhog and muskrat but never a possum. I have caught some large ones and thought about it but the smell kept me from it.

I know after living off can food and rice for a month that a fat possum roasting over some hot coals would look pretty tasty.

you know rabbits eat grass, right?  where oh where would you find any of that "grass" stuff?
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not saying I wouldn't but I would have to be awful damn hungry...
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not saying I wouldn't but I would have to be awful damn hungry...

I have become fairly good (thanks to help here from you guys) at catching them in leg-hold traps and live traps.  There is no better use for a .22 round than to end the life of these dirty little beasts...LOL.  they smell, hiss, try to bite, and can move fast when they want to.  talk about ugly.  and I hve lost more ducks and chickens to possums than any ther predator - they are pure vermin.  Now if I was starving, I'm SURE i would find them absolutely delicious!

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you know rabbits eat grass, right?  where oh where would you find any of that "grass" stuff?

When I raised rabbits as a kid they didn't fatten up on just grass. We had to feed them rabbit specific food.

With what I know about rabbits and possums, if I had to rely on one for food in a long term survival situation I would pick the possum over the rabbit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I like where your head is at.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I would rather eat gravel than possum meat.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Ummm, no. Possums?? No.

I'll stick with rabbits, chickens, goats, sheep, cows. Of courser it takes a bit of planning, but thats ok. It means I've done my part in preparing before I need to prepare rather than preparing long after I should have.

"Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker."

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw some nature show on oppossums once, said they actually make wonderful pets because they are so gentle and easily tamed...
Lets face it, their battle strategy is to lay there and play dead!  I figure I'll make pets out the oppussoms in the neighborhood, and eat
the illegal mexican neighbors who welfare has been fattening up
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I saw some nature show on oppossums once, said they actually make wonderful pets because they are so gentle and easily tamed...
Lets face it, their battle strategy is to lay there and play dead!  I figure I'll make pets out the oppussoms in the neighborhood, and eat

Straight to hell...

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Once...on the farm....we lost a calf.....after walking for what seemed like miles and miles....we found it.....down in a gully and DRT......went down to verify....my buddy kicked it and a possum crawled out of the pooper.............I'm not saying I wouldn't if I was hungry.....but I'd have to be really.....really hungry......
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I raised rabbits as a kid they didn't fatten up on just grass. We had to feed them rabbit specific food.

With what I know about rabbits and possums, if I had to rely on one for food in a long term survival situation I would pick the possum over the rabbit.

Excellent point.  Not to mention, there would be no grass to feed them during the winter.  I suggested keeping squirrels last week and some guys shit all over the idea.  Someone did make a good point about them chewing through their enclosure, even a wire cage.  Will opossums do the same?  I like your style man.  In a true survival situation you can’t turn your nose up at any source of protein.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I would rather die than succumb to eating possums when SHTF.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there something in the water here or what? Not sure if its some drug floating around in the air. Pretty soon folks will be asking about raising pandas for food since they don't bite much and they get really chubby.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#19]
kangaroos FTW....
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent point.  Not to mention, there would be no grass to feed them during the winter. I suggested keeping squirrels last week and some guys shit all over the idea.  Someone did make a good point about them chewing through their enclosure, even a wire cage.  Will opossums do the same?  I like your style man.  In a true survival situation you can’t turn your nose up at any source of protein.

man, that was you?!!!  LOL. Don't know if I'd let that info get out.... Also, wrong on grass....even here in SC I have Ky31 fescue growing year round.  then in summer, bermuda wakes up...grass year round even up in Ohio....ifyou know what kind to grow.

and more importantly, we're not talking about turning your nose up at anything....what you guys suggested was a system of animal husbandry which ignored teh traditional, tried and proven animals that provide for a man, and instead you suggested husbandry of non traditional even wacky animal selections.  that's what we're talking about.  Tell me this, if this were possible, raising a squirrel farm, a flock of possums, a herd of lizard tails out to pasture, don't you guys think it would have been done already?  And what makes you think you are going to engineer a new method of farming unproductive creatures that eat more than they are worth when the S suddenly hits the F?  when this time comes your day to day activities will consist of putting anything in your bellies, possum tail included, not genetic studies of which squirrel raises young, which lizard has teh fattest tail, and which squirrel can live on table scraps.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, you decided to feed what the pet store sold you.  rabbits do fine on grass, and especially supplemented on greens from table scraps or leftover garden stuff.  I had rabbits when I was a kid, and we were dirt poor so no trips to PetSmart for us!  Besides, ever been out a night with a flashlight?  I have tons of wild rabbits that are fat off of whatever they can get!  The'd LOVE to have more grass!

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
kangaroos FTW....

now I may concede defeat!  You may be onto something there....
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I would rather chew dirty socks...Dang things smell about the same.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is there something in the water here or what? Not sure if its some drug floating around in the air. Pretty soon folks will be asking about raising pandas for food since they don't bite much and they get really chubby.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Come to think of it, you could feed your pandas off of your bamboo firewood patch

possums?  

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent point.  Not to mention, there would be no grass to feed them during the winter. I suggested keeping squirrels last week and some guys shit all over the idea.  Someone did make a good point about them chewing through their enclosure, even a wire cage.  Will opossums do the same?  I like your style man.  In a true survival situation you can’t turn your nose up at any source of protein.

man, that was you?!!!  LOL. Don't know if I'd let that info get out.... Also, wrong on grass....even here in SC I have Ky31 fescue growing year round.  then in summer, bermuda wakes up...grass year round even up in Ohio....ifyou know what kind to grow.

and more importantly, we're not talking about turning your nose up at anything....what you guys suggested was a system of animal husbandry which ignored teh traditional, tried and proven animals that provide for a man, and instead you suggested husbandry of non traditional even wacky animal selections.  that's what we're talking about.  Tell me this, if this were possible, raising a squirrel farm, a flock of possums, a herd of lizard tails out to pasture, don't you guys think it would have been done already?  And what makes you think you are going to engineer a new method of farming unproductive creatures that eat more than they are worth when the S suddenly hits the F?  when this time comes your day to day activities will consist of putting anything in your bellies, possum tail included, not genetic studies of which squirrel raises young, which lizard has teh fattest tail, and which squirrel can live on table scraps.

Hey man, I’m not ashamed of any of my ideas and I don’t give a shit what you think.  I’d eat the boogers out of a dead man’s nose if it meant living another day.  This is only my second week  here and you’ve lit me up twice.  I think you are a bully and a loudmouth and I don’t fucking like you.    Get off my back.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Hey man, I’m not ashamed of any of my ideas and I don’t give a shit what you think.  I’d eat the boogers out of a dead man’s nose if it meant living another day.  This is only my second week  here and you’ve lit me up twice.  I think you are a bully and a loudmouth and I don’t fucking like you.    Get off my back.  

Lighten up, dude.  You're on the interweb, thicker skin required.  This is really a pretty good forum.

ETA:

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#28]
can't resist...

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

In other news, some guy on here had the brilliant stroke of genius to raise lizards and survive on their tails, since they can regenerate them. You martians with these crazy ideas realize there are creatures on MY home planet of EARTH called RABBITS and we regular people EAT THEM.

Ditto to this. I have had possum and it is not a meal that I would look forward to eating. It is worse than chitlins and they are terrible!!! As a pastor of a black church, I had to eat my fair share of chitlins and I dread them!!

Come to think of it, I think I would like the sewer rat the natives fed me in Senegal better than I liked Possum! Needless to say, IT IS NOT GOOD EATS!!!

I would rethink the possum road! I'ld get a possum and eat it, then you can tell us what you think!!!

Just my .02,

Amos1909

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Meat is good I have been told but must be blanched!! My family is from the TN hills and this type of food is everyday food to them! Would I raise them? Well lets say this look at what animals in your area carry rabies mostly! There are one or two that are kings to carry it and you might look in your area what is the king! Really check out Bizarre foods he has a few shows about possum if you have Roku they have them all on there! Also the show just is a great survival tool for food!
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Lets face it, their battle strategy is to lay there and play dead! I figure I'll make pets out the oppussoms in the neighborhood, and eat

Never ate illegal mexican neighbors before, but I would be tempted to start there and only eat the possum when the illegal mexican neighbors were gone!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Meat is good I have been told but must be blanched!! My family is from the TN hills and this type of food is everyday food to them! Would I raise them? Well lets say this look at what animals in your area carry rabies mostly! There are one or two that are kings to carry it and you might look in your area what is the king! Really check out Bizarre foods he has a few shows about possum if you have Roku they have them all on there! Also the show just is a great survival tool for food!

My folks came from the hills of N.C. and I have had it (possum) just about every way you can and there is no good way to eat it!!!!

I have eaten some really weird things as a child on the mission field! I have had cow stomach, fish eyes, rat, mouse , drank coffee with pigeon dung in it, eat a rotten millet meal that we called called Chera-BOOM and a lot of stuff I did not know what it was. Possum is the worse thing that I had!!!

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#33]
nothing used to piss me off more than chasing after the dog half the night to find it treed a @$@$%ng possum.  After one of those times, i poked the rat bastard out of the tree, carried it home, stuck it in one of the rabbit hutches and feed it veggie scraps for a week.  

After butchering, cooking and attempting to eat it, the entire family agreed that the whole exercise was a waste of perfectly good compost and hutch space.  

Now, raising muskrats in your pond?  That is an exponentially better idea.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 4:12:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ford Guy is not trying to bust your balls. He is just very politely pointing out that certain animals are raised for food for a reason. It takes thousands of generation to turn a wild animal into a reliable and profitable food source. Cows didn't look like they do now thousands of generations ago. The farmers who started raising them chose the animals with the best traits to combine with animals with other good traits for over thousands of years.

Ford Guy is giving you the correct information you need to successfully husband animals for food. He is doing you a favor so you might not want to be upset with him. I would recommend goats since the can provide milk and meat and they are small enough to raise in a penned in yard. My best bud raised goats for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ford Guy is not trying to bust your balls. He is just very politely pointing out that certain animals are raised for food for a reason. It takes thousands of generation to turn a wild animal into a reliable and profitable food source. Cows didn't look like they do now thousands of generations ago. The farmers who started raising them chose the animals with the best traits to combine with animals with other good traits for over thousands of years.

Ford Guy is giving you the correct information you need to successfully husband animals for food. He is doing you a favor so you might not want to be upset with him. I would recommend goats since the can provide milk and meat and they are small enough to raise in a penned in yard. My best bud raised goats for a long time.

You and the Fordguy are missing the point.  I don’t intend to be a squirrel rancher as a hobby and I’ve stated this fact numerous times.  I am an experienced survivor who has been prepping for many many years.  My point was that a little squirrel meat with our rice, beans and a bouillon cube would be a nice addition and that any source of protein is a major plus.  If I can keep squirrels, rats, opossums, rabbits or anything else in a pen there is no downside. I happen to have an abundance of squirrels around me so that is what I am planning on having available after TSHTF.  If I can snag a few in live traps good for me.  If they breed, even better.   The guys that turned their noses up at the idea of eating some opossum meat are also missing the point and obviously haven’t considered what it will be like when all the supplies are gone and there is nothing.  I mean nothing and there will be nothing to restock with, ever.  I acknowledge that goats, chickens and pigs are much better but I doubt that there will be a source for them after the collapse.  I live in the suburbs and keeping them now is out of the question.  

I appreciate your advice and hope that we can exchange ideas and information in the future.  Have a good holiday.

Apemanwithferaldog.

Link Posted: 12/11/2010 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Once...on the farm....we lost a calf.....after walking for what seemed like miles and miles....we found it.....down in a gully and DRT......went down to verify....my buddy kicked it and a possum crawled out of the pooper.............I'm not saying I wouldn't if I was hungry.....but I'd have to be really.....really hungry......

Dont you know thats where they start eating an animal? I think because the butthole is soft meat.
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont you know thats where they start eating an animal? I think because the butthole is soft meat.

Yeah....I know.....I could have just went a bit longer in my existence with out seeing that.....
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 4:00:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Just tell me you are kidding about eating these things.  Having seen several of them up close immediately upon death, or right after they were caught in a live trap - I can tell you they are disgusting, bug infested critters with insects crawling all over them.  Not a pretty picture.  

I doubt that they taste any better than they look...

They are also the only animal on God's green earth that I deliberately try to hit while driving down the road....   MournSword
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 4:26:04 AM EDT
[#40]
If You have ever seen a bunch of possums crawl up a dead cow's ass and eat their way out, you will not consider them as a food source.  Same with crows, vultures, coyotes, armadillos, mud catfish , bowfins, and snakes. They are all yours. You will get no competition from me. Get you some Tobasco and enjoy. Bon Appetit!
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lighten up, dude.  You're on the interweb, thicker skin required.  This is really a pretty good forum.

ETA:

APEMAN, Here are your words from teh other thread:

Quoted:
Does anyone think this idea is crazy? ?

Look, when you ask for feedback on ideas, especially crazy ideas, (your word, NOT mine) expect to get feedback, some of which you may not like.  All the other things you just said, so be it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 4:43:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If You have ever seen a bunch of possums crawl up a dead cow's ass and eat their way out, you will not consider them as a food source.  Same with crows, vultures, coyotes, armadillos, mud catfish , bowfins, and snakes. They are all yours. You will get no competition from me. Get you some Tobasco and enjoy. Bon Appetit!

never been hungry eh?
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:14:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

never been hungry eh?

Actually I have , but I am willing to let you have what the OP does not want. There are many,many many better choices for me.  10 million House Flies think dog crap is a good meal . I will pass on this choice also.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

+1. It always amazes me when somebody thinks they have come up with an idea that is so outstanding that they can't believe that no one else has ever thought of it. There is usually a pretty good reason why.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In other news, some guy on here had the brilliant stroke of genius to raise lizards and survive on their tails, since they can regenerate them.  You martians with these crazy ideas realize there are creatures on MY home planet of EARTH called RABBITS and we regular people EAT THEM.

The completely absurd nature of the idea of raising lizards, squirrels, or possums for food in a SHTF situation leads me to suspect someone has a pretty good sense of humor and wants to see if anyone is dumb or naive enough to be willing to publicly state some support for the idea.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You and the Fordguy are missing the point.  I don’t intend to be a squirrel rancher as a hobby and I’ve stated this fact numerous times.  I am an experienced survivor who has been prepping for many many years.  My point was that a little squirrel meat with our rice, beans and a bouillon cube would be a nice addition and that any source of protein is a major plus.  If I can keep squirrels, rats, opossums, rabbits or anything else in a pen there is no downside. I happen to have an abundance of squirrels around me so that is what I am planning on having available after TSHTF.  If I can snag a few in live traps good for me.  If they breed, even better.   The guys that turned their noses up at the idea of eating some opossum meat are also missing the point and obviously haven’t considered what it will be like when all the supplies are gone and there is nothing.  I mean nothing and there will be nothing to restock with, ever.  I acknowledge that goats, chickens and pigs are much better but I doubt that there will be a source for them after the collapse.  I live in the suburbs and keeping them now is out of the question.  

I appreciate your advice and hope that we can exchange ideas and information in the future.  Have a good holiday.

Apemanwithferaldog.

So I gotta ask....have you ever eaten an opossum?
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I know Armadillos carry leprosy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Whistle Pigs man, that's where its at.  Whether you call them groundhogs, woodchucks, or marmots, that's what you need to be raising.  More bang for the buck and they are vegetarian, so they taste better than butt eating opossums.  A big farm raised one would feed a hole squad of zombie killers.

Or guinea pigs.  They are eaten quite abit in South America.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#49]
My Father has possums, and skunks. He is in Fla.  He needed to get special permits to be legal. He also has a few gators too. Once they get 4 foot he trades them in for smaller ones.  He also needed to get a special insurance policy but aint sure if that was becouse of the gators or if he needs it for the skunks and possums too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#50]
The only person I think might want to deliberately raise possums for food over anything else would be someone that had never tasted a possum.

It's edible.  But there's a very good reason you don't see it on the menu next to the chitlins.

The Virginia Opossum also has more teeth than any other mammal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top