Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know if I'd raise them, but I would eat them if I had to and there was nothing else.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Whistle Pigs man, that's where its at.  Whether you call them groundhogs, woodchucks, or marmots, that's what you need to be raising.  More bang for the buck and they are vegetarian, so they taste better than butt eating opossums.  A big farm raised one would feed a hole squad of zombie killers.

Or guinea pigs.  They are eaten quite abit in South America.

Great suggestion!   Groundhogs  have lots of meat on them and they seem pretty docile too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whistle Pigs man, that's where its at.  Whether you call them groundhogs, woodchucks, or marmots, that's what you need to be raising.  More bang for the buck and they are vegetarian, so they taste better than butt eating opossums.  A big farm raised one would feed a hole squad of zombie killers.

Great suggestion!   Groundhogs  have lots of meat on them and they seem pretty docile too.

Groundhogs are not docile!!!!  They will tear you apart if you give them a chance!  They can be somewhat "tamed" but not to the point that you can trust them. Also, while they are a little more palatable than Possum they are not what you would call tasty.  My Grandfather would cook one every now and then but he would have to warn everybody first. You literally could not stay in the house while one was being cooked because it would smell so bad.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Groundhogs are not docile!!!!  They will tear you apart if you give them a chance!  They can be somewhat "tamed" but not to the point that you can trust them. Also, while they are a little more palatable than Possum they are not what you would call tasty.  My Grandfather would cook one every now and then but he would have to warn everybody first. You literally could not stay in the house while one was being cooked because it would smell so bad.

YIKES!  I had no idea they were vicious.  They look so peaceful smashed on the road....  Are you sure he wasn’t cooking badgers?  Old people have pretty bad eyesight.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You and the Fordguy are missing the point.  I don’t intend to be a squirrel rancher as a hobby and I’ve stated this fact numerous times.  I am an experienced survivor who has been prepping for many many years.  My point was that a little squirrel meat with our rice, beans and a bouillon cube would be a nice addition and that any source of protein is a major plus.  If I can keep squirrels, rats, opossums, rabbits or anything else in a pen there is no downside. I happen to have an abundance of squirrels around me so that is what I am planning on having available after TSHTF.  If I can snag a few in live traps good for me.  If they breed, even better.   The guys that turned their noses up at the idea of eating some opossum meat are also missing the point and obviously haven’t considered what it will be like when all the supplies are gone and there is nothing.  I mean nothing and there will be nothing to restock with, ever.  I acknowledge that goats, chickens and pigs are much better but I doubt that there will be a source for them after the collapse.  I live in the suburbs and keeping them now is out of the question.  

I appreciate your advice and hope that we can exchange ideas and information in the future.  Have a good holiday.

Apemanwithferaldog.

So I gotta ask....have you ever eaten an opossum?

Still wondering if you've ever eaten an opossum.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Just raise chickens.  They'll eat anything a possum will eat, and they taste a lot better.
Plus they lay eggs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You and the Fordguy are missing the point.  I don’t intend to be a squirrel rancher as a hobby and I’ve stated this fact numerous times.  I am an experienced survivor who has been prepping for many many years.  My point was that a little squirrel meat with our rice, beans and a bouillon cube would be a nice addition and that any source of protein is a major plus.  If I can keep squirrels, rats, opossums, rabbits or anything else in a pen there is no downside. I happen to have an abundance of squirrels around me so that is what I am planning on having available after TSHTF.  If I can snag a few in live traps good for me.  If they breed, even better.   The guys that turned their noses up at the idea of eating some opossum meat are also missing the point and obviously haven’t considered what it will be like when all the supplies are gone and there is nothing.  I mean nothing and there will be nothing to restock with, ever.  I acknowledge that goats, chickens and pigs are much better but I doubt that there will be a source for them after the collapse.  I live in the suburbs and keeping them now is out of the question.  

I appreciate your advice and hope that we can exchange ideas and information in the future.  Have a good holiday.

Apemanwithferaldog.

Nope, never eaten a opossum.  Here is a list of other foods I’ve never eaten.

1)Turtle
2)Squirrel
3)Rabbit
4)Frog legs
5)Dove
6)Pheasant
7)Duck
8)Goose
9)Carp
10)Pigeon
11)Rat
12)Ground hog
13)Snake
14)Eel
15)Bear
16)Wild boar
17)Elk
18)Moose
19)Monkey
20)Wombat
21)Ostrich
22)Worms
23)Grubs
24)Spiders
25)Maggots
Or
A)spam
B)potted Meat
C)Vienna Sausages

But I would eat them if I  was  hungry.  And I wouldn’t bitch about how it tasted, what it smelled like or how mean and nasty it was when it was alive.  Only a spoiled brat or a ghey would do that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#9]
maggots - since you have never eaten them, I'd recommend you don't start now.  Maggots can transfer botulina to fowl/poultry and pparrently that can also be transferred to people who eat eggs/meat.  I got this second hand so Ihave not confirmed it, nor do I want to.  This is why meal grubs and wax worms are preferred protein sources for poultry, in addition to earthworms.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Out of your list, I have eaten all BUT the following:

11)Rat
13)Snake
19)Monkey
20)Wombat
21)Ostrich (but have eaten emu)
23)Grubs
24)Spiders
25)Maggots
Or
B)potted Meat
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apemanwithferaldog.

1)Turtle
2)Squirrel
3)Rabbit
4)Frog legs
5)Dove
6)Pheasant
7)Duck
8)Goose
9)Carp
10)Pigeon
11)Rat
12)Ground hog
13)Snake
14)Eel
15)Bear
16)Wild boar
17)Elk
18)Moose
19)Monkey
20)Wombat
21)Ostrich
22)Worms
23)Grubs
24)Spiders
25)Maggots
Or
A)spam
B)potted Meat
C)Vienna Sausages

But I would eat them if I  was  hungry.  And I wouldn’t bitch about how it tasted, what it smelled like or how mean and nasty it was when it was alive.  Only a spoiled brat or a ghey would do that.

Hey little boy your mommy is calling for you. You are up past your bedtime.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apemanwithferaldog.

1)Turtle
2)Squirrel
3)Rabbit
4)Frog legs
5)Dove
6)Pheasant
7)Duck
8)Goose
9)Carp
10)Pigeon
11)Rat
12)Ground hog
13)Snake
14)Eel
15)Bear
16)Wild boar
17)Elk
18)Moose
19)Monkey
20)Wombat
21)Ostrich
22)Worms
23)Grubs
24)Spiders
25)Maggots
Or
A)spam
B)potted Meat
C)Vienna Sausages

Wow big letters.  That’s the equivalent of yelling right?  Usually when I argue with liberals or people with an inferior IQ (redundant?)  they eventually start yelling.  That’s a pretty good indication someone can’t keep up intellectually.  Anyway, you really got me that time, and you figured out how to increase your font size.  Good for you Corky.    Also, I don’t get it, what’s your point?
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
maggots - since you have never eaten them, I'd recommend you don't start now.  Maggots can transfer botulina to fowl/poultry and pparrently that can also be transferred to people who eat eggs/meat.  I got this second hand so Ihave not confirmed it, nor do I want to.  This is why meal grubs and wax worms are preferred protein sources for poultry, in addition to earthworms.  

Thanks for the heads up.  Hopefully it won't be an issue any time soon, for any of us.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You and the Fordguy are missing the point. I don’t intend to be a squirrel rancher as a hobby and I’ve stated this fact numerous times. I am an experienced survivor who has been prepping for many many years. My point was that a little squirrel meat with our rice, beans and a bouillon cube would be a nice addition and that any source of protein is a major plus. If I can keep squirrels, rats, opossums, rabbits or anything else in a pen there is no downside. I happen to have an abundance of squirrels around me so that is what I am planning on having available after TSHTF. If I can snag a few in live traps good for me. If they breed, even better. The guys that turned their noses up at the idea of eating some opossum meat are also missing the point and obviously haven’t considered what it will be like when all the supplies are gone and there is nothing. I mean nothing and there will be nothing to restock with, ever. I acknowledge that goats, chickens and pigs are much better but I doubt that there will be a source for them after the collapse. I live in the suburbs and keeping them now is out of the question.

I appreciate your advice and hope that we can exchange ideas and information in the future. Have a good holiday.

Apemanwithferaldog.

Nope, never eaten a opossum. Here is a list of other foods I’ve never eaten.

1)Turtle

2)
Squirrel

)Rabbit

4)
Frog legs

5)
Dove

6)
Pheasant

7)
Duck

8)Goose

9)Carp

10)Pigeon

11)Rat

12)Ground hog

13)Snake

14)Eel

15)Bear

16)Wild boar

17)Elk

18)Moose

19)Monkey

20)Wombat

21)Ostrich

22)Worms

23)Grubs

24)Spiders

25)Maggots

Or

A)spam

B)potted Meat

C)Vienna Sausages

But I would eat them if I was hungry. And I wouldn’t bitch about how it tasted, what it smelled like or how mean and nasty it was when it was alive. Only a spoiled brat or a ghey would do that.

Wow big letters. That’s the equivalent of yelling right? Usually when I argue with liberals or people with an inferior IQ (redundant?) they eventually start yelling. That’s a pretty good indication someone can’t keep up intellectually. Anyway, you really got me that time, and you figured out how to increase your font size. Good for you Corky. Also, I don’t get it, what’s your point?

I have eat all the things in red and Possum is not in the same league with them!!!

I did eat boiled maggots in Africa and it was pretty bad, I would not recommend it to anyone. But Possum is a lot worse!!!!

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up.  Hopefully it won't be an issue any time soon, for any of us.

No problem.  One thing I wonder about though, Vultures which are really just aerial possums.  Reckon a fella could raise these for food if SHTF? See, how it works is you take a side of beef and lay it in a field of wheat. Yeah, i know you can eat beef, and wheat, but I'm trying to get past that as beef poops a lot and wheat is damn hard to grind unless you have one of those fancy wheatgrindey thingies. So back to the SHTF plan, you take a side of beef, whole black angus cow if you 'can has' one, and you lay it in a field of wheat. Now when these aerial possums land to eat that cow out, starting with it's bung meat which I hear is the softest, you catch them and eat them. Yes, I know they stink -well,  they eat rancid cow bungholes, what do you expect? Are you some kind of fancy boy for poo-poo-ing the notion of eating an aerial possum? I have eaten worse, including rotten cow bungholes. No, I have not yet eaten an aerial possum, but that's what this post is all about. So back to the specifics of my shtf plan for these yummy critters, you can even pen them up in your chicken pen (remove the chickens first, as chickens smell horrible and are loud.) and raise teh vultures for emergency food. You will need to obtain beef and chickens for the aerial possums to feed on. That will be the only tough part.

The fat ones weight about a pound. (mostly gristle, shankmeat, and rancid parts) Remember to remove the crop, which will be filled with dead cow bung holes, beef, and chicken.  Throw that away, or feed to the other vultures.

Ape man, just messin with ya....hope we can laugh together.  thanks for keeping a good attitude through this.    Serious note, we have a member name "Rizzo" who likely has eaten both possum an vulture as this is his arfcom "thing."  I will pm him to see what he says.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes, I know they stink -well,  they eat rancid cow bungholes, what do you expect?

That's sigline stuff right there

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#17]
They don't taste to bad and yes they are the other, other, other white meat
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, I know they stink -well,  they eat rancid cow bungholes, what do you expect?

That's sigline stuff right there

LOL, all yours brother!

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#19]
http://possumfarming.com/

http://www.happypossumfarms.com/

It can, has and will be ate.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://possumfarming.com/

http://www.happypossumfarms.com/

It can, has and will be ate.

"To my friends This site is brought to you by me. For when you really need a good laugh."

And a good laugh has been had by all.  I loved the part about possum milk.  
Ease of milk collection - Intelligent possums are trained to hook themselves up to and disconnect themselves from the milking machine. As Bill Bob says “That's Easy Farming”

I just laughed so hard I woke my whole family up.  They asked what was so funny.  I told them, nothing, just possums, just possums.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top