Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2010 7:23:50 PM EDT
We all know that after the "big one" peoples idea of normalcy will be turned on it's head and people will long for the simple pleasures and conveniences that will ease their situation. Sometimes very small things can make a big difference to people, cheap, easy to get/store things...

Things I have thought of that will be worth considerable amounts in trade...

Chapsticks

Combs/Brushes

Toothbrushes/Toothpaste/Floss

Bars of soap

Shoelaces

Garbage bags

Glue/epoxy

Light bulbs

Bandaids/gauze pads

Duct/electrical tape

Needles/Thread

Pens/pencils/paper

Nails of varying types

Tarps

Bottles of saline solution

Eyeglass repair kits

Razor blades (Shaving and cutting types)

These are just off the top of my head...It's not always the big things that are valuable. While the big things may keep you alive, many times the little things will make things tolerable or take peoples minds off things. People will pay/trade heavily for that luxury.   All of these things can be stock piled cheaply and easily in a small space and will be usable to you as well. Such things can serve you well or make you a target....Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Gasoline.
Heating oil.
Propane.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
PIE.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Gasoline.
Heating oil.
Propane.

Think smaller. Those are much more difficult to store, are costly, and take up lots of space. Think things people will want but not need.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
toilet paper, cigarettes and liquor
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Wooden matches are dirt cheap at walmart 3 250 count boxes for like $5 at walmart all wrapped up. Sote easily and in a small place. People will trade for the convenience of flicking a stick rather than hitting steel and flint together...

Disposable lighters as well as ZIPPO flints/wicks/fluid too....

Cheap ass scissors
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Rolling papers and bulk tobacco yes...

TP maybe (takes up alot of space if you want enough to trade...

liquor, no, cost and space to store is too valuable. If you were able to make your own in the aftermath with a still as needed then yes....

I would say yes to coffee filter and cans of CHEAP coffee. THe filters will have multiple uses and people won't care how bad the coffee is if they can actually get some.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

this and chocolate.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

this and chocolate.

Could be hard to store but if you lick that, then yes, definitely.

Packets of seeds

Concentrated fertilizer (Miracle grow)

Cheap finger nail clippers

Zip ties

Rolls of para cord (trade it by the foot, NOT the roll)

Vacuum packed and Oxy absorbed Aspirin and Tylenol (Generic of course, in the big bottles, trade in 10 counts of pills.)
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Lamp oil would be pretty popular I think.  I've got a couple gallons of it, certainly not enough to trade.
Activated charcoal
duct tape
bailing wire
seeds
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Think of skills or equipment that let you provide a service to others that they can't or don't know how to do.

Electrical, knife/axe sharpening, alcohol distillation, small scale farming, animal care (Vet), Medical care (nurse, MD, EMT, mid-wife), construction. A skill not widely possessed can be just as good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

liquor, no, cost and space to store is too valuable. If you were able to make your own in the aftermath with a still as needed then yes....

I would say yes to coffee filter and cans of CHEAP coffee. THe filters will have multiple uses and people won't care how bad the coffee is if they can actually get some.

I don't know.  When there is nothing left around, I think a bottle or 2 of absolute or Johny Walker Red could get you quite a bit and nicotine addiction is a very strong addiction.  A pack of stale Marlboros would look like prime rib to smoker who hasn't seen a cigarette in a couple of days.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#12]
IV fluids
antibiotics
medications
medical knowledge

that would be my "revenue" stream in a bad scenario

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know.  When there is nothing left around, I think a bottle or 2 of absolute or Johny Walker Red could get you quite a bit and nicotine addiction is a very strong addiction.  A pack of stale Marlboros would look like prime rib to smoker who hasn't seen a cigarette in a couple of days.

As long as you understand that once it's gone, you have no more....

I agree with the smokes but remember, we want a investment in things that store easily and will be cheap to stockpile. Rolling papers and bulk tobacco will be cheaper than buying pre-made packs. I would buy a $200 still on EBAY on make up mash on demand for an ongoing revenue stream.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IV fluids
antibiotics
medications
medical knowledge

that would be my "revenue" stream in a bad scenario

Good start but you need to diversify. Think of this as the TEOTWAWKI retirement. You want to get your fingers into as many things as people want as you can so you don't have to wait for someone to need/want your service/item.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
fishing line
leaders
sinkers
hooks
spools of heavy thread
sewing needles
buttons
cough drops
+1 on the paracord by the foot
+1 on the chapsticks
if you wanted to do tp i would look at the large industrial rolls, and sell by the foot
feminine hyg. products
cheap reading glasses
cheap jersey or knit gloves (buy by the multi-pak)
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#16]
The ability/equipment to make/grow alcohol, beer, and weed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Sugar, coffee, tabbaco, "Shoe Goop", various types of Super glue, needles and thread, sewing timbles.
Even that hole punch and rivet/grommet  set they sell at Harbor Fright would give you an "up" for trade.
I would also think skills/knowledge as to working with leather & canvas would be a needed PAW craft.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
fishing line
leaders
sinkers
hooks
spools of heavy thread
sewing needles
buttons
cough drops
+1 on the paracord by the foot
+1 on the chapsticks
if you wanted to do tp i would look at the large industrial rolls, and sell by the foot
feminine hyg. products
cheap reading glasses
cheap jersey or knit gloves (buy by the multi-pak)

YES, those types of items will be GOLD.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sugar, coffee, tabbaco, "Shoe Goop", various types of Super glue, needles and thread, sewing timbles.
Even that hole punch and rivet/grommet  set they sell at Harbor Fright would give you an "up" for trade.
I would also think skills/knowledge as to working with leather & canvas would be a needed PAW craft.

Hole puch and riveter is a good idea, just stock alot of rivet and grommets. Sugar could be hard to store as bugs and moisture could ruin it. If you are in the country get a small bee hive going and use the honey as a sweetener as it stores indefinitely and is renewable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Good idea about the bees. Let those little critters do all the work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Just imagine the last camping trip you went on. Think of what it was that made that trip miserable... then provide a solution to that misery.

Too cold? Blankets!
Too many bugs? Insect repellent!

Too much anxiety? Tobacco, booze, or other OTC or non-OTC tranks.
Too much monkey butt? Lots of nice preparations for that. I keep Tucks available for that unpleasantness.
The list is endless...but a friend of mine postulates that .22 LR ammo would serve as "pocket change" in the barter economy that would result.

Most survivors will have the 'basic necessities..." COMFORT items will be the order of business once the S stops flying off the fan.

Booze will likely be a very hot commodity. And if you have a rowdy customer in your post-SHTF bar, slip him some Rohypnol and drag him out to the desert (minus his guns, of course).

ETA

Some other posts have gotten my attention. Toilet paper is light but very space-intensive. Instead, I suggest you provide a Napoleonic solution: the "little bucket" or "bidet."

SHOWERS or HOT BATHS will likely be very welcome.

ENTERTAINMENT (a la the movie theater in "A Boy and His Dog") will be welcome.

One of the benefits of providing "creature comforts" is that (provided you have basic protection) your establishment will become a sort of "neutral zone" between otherwise unfriendly factions. The hot springs of the American Southwest were usually considered such by otherwise unfriendly Indian tribes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 1:20:50 AM EDT
[#23]
cigarettes!

Having been on a few FTX with the Army there are people who would trade their

mothers soul for a cigarette  
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 1:42:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:05:37 AM EDT
[#25]
What about Ham radio with a way to keep it powered. How much do you think people will give to try to find out news in other parts and news on family in other areas? Could be very valuable if a major SHTF and the grid went down.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:47:12 AM EDT
[#26]
duct tape
xacto knives and blades
cheap tarps (most hardware stores run specials on the crappy ones)
dental floss
saw blades
yarn
knitting needles
mason jars with lids for canning (that you don't need)
save all the travel size hotel soaps and lotions that you get
cheap flat ware (i.e. walmart .25 cents per fork etc)
salt
sugar
arrow heads
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:55:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Simple carpenter tools: saws, hammers, nails, squares,  hand drills and bits, etc
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:42:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Diapers.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I would add the following, you can get the little travel size items by the case pretty cheap if you look around.  During the Y2k scare days a former friend of mine had a case each of the following.  These were all in those travel size - just a quick search found me this  Economy travel size items  prices aren't that bad.
deodorant
toothbrush
toothpaste
tampons
disposable razors
hotel soap bars
shampoo
sewing kits
comb/brush
finger/toe nail clippers

other items would be as mentioned before, antihistamines, Imodium AD, aspirin, non-aspirin, vitamins, band aids, screws/nails, duct tape and probably two dozen other items.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Have seen some other items listed that I forgot that were very good and a few others that unless you have lots of space, not so much. But yes you could be the oasis is a desert of despair and like drugs today, people will pay out the ass for "relief"

Providing such things could make you wealthy and influential, hated, even a threat in a post disaster time. Just remember that too. On the plus side, it could make you the center of trade and information, an enviable situation to be in when the world is falling apart.

Another idea, as in a recent post apocalyptic movie, have the ability to charge car batteries

On my trip to wal-mart today I will take the time to wonder some  to see what other simple, small, cheap items that often overlooked for basic preps, if thought of could make you very much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Idea for a post SHTF business...As part of your little trading center you can have a lay-overbarber shop /shower facility.  You can buy and store shampoo by the 5 gal bucket, have basic finger and toenail clippers, scrub brushes/loufas, solar porta showers in stalls... Good barber scissors, straight razors with good stones, and electric beard trimmers (beards will be in as shaving will be difficult real quick). I have a rechargeable Norelco trimmer that I have use 3x week for my Goatee and 2x week for shaving my head that has lasted FIVE YEARS with just a bit of mineral oil.

Barber shops and trade stores are the centers of information and gossip, men will still want to get with women and so will want to look better than other guys, women will still want to look feminine and not have to braid their armpit hair and wash their hair in crick water, and lets not forget keeping the poonta fresh...

Other items noticed at Wal-mart...

Epsom salts ( another service for the above business )
Q-tips
Big jars of vitamins
Big jars of antacids.
Mineral and castor oil
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Have seen some other items listed that I forgot that were very good and a few others that unless you have lots of space, not so much. But yes you could be the oasis is a desert of despair and like drugs today, people will pay out the ass for "relief".

Especially if the ass is being relieved.  Immodium and Ducolax would fetch a king's ransom.  Right along with potable water!
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have seen some other items listed that I forgot that were very good and a few others that unless you have lots of space, not so much. But yes you could be the oasis is a desert of despair and like drugs today, people will pay out the ass for "relief".

Especially if the ass is being relieved.  Immodium and Ducolax would fetch a king's ransom.  Right along with potable water!

Good catch. Also, cheap generic cold meds.

There are ALOT of small, cheap to stock up items that can pay big dividends if the world goes tits up. Great thing is, you can use most of the stuff anyway so if the world never ends, you'er not out anything... The stuff isn't so specialized that you will never use it and so expensive that you have to eat Ramen noodles to stock it up.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#34]
the same stuff that makes money today
hookers and blow
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Canning jar lids.

Window screens.

Drop spindles.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#36]
disposable shavers, soap and shampoo !!! ya know what women would give for these after a few weeks without??  
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#37]
McDonalds franchise.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Motor oil.  Carb cleaner.  Soap.  Talcum powder.  Tampons.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Very smart.  JB Weld?
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#40]
prescription medication

and water treatment systems that last a long time.

Thats my guess
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#41]
bacon?
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#42]
silver

ammo

mags

matches

solar/wind/hydro energy equipment

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#43]

ME!  

I'll be a merc for hire...by the local towns folk who are sick of the bandits and marauders taking their stuff and women...and after I clean house with my homemade chest rig and home assembled AR15 in 22LR, they'll shower me with women and booze....I got it ALLLLL worked out....

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Lack of compassion for my fellow man will allow me to raise a small fighting force, and take what I want.

Then when the downtrodden peasants rise up and kill me, probably doped out of my mind on opium sitting in a pit full of the most beautiful females in the land, I'll die happy.

Because if it's truly the "End of the world as we know it" who says what rules I should follow?

Like one of my buddies says, his bug out kit for TEOTWAWKI is a Glock 19 and three magazines.   That will allow him to get whatever he needs.

To all the people who disagree, suck it.  The brilliance of my plan is, the hungrier you get, the more viable it is.

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very smart.  JB Weld?

'Zackly.
We now live in a throw a way world, with fresh "stuff" brought in for sale just in time.
Right now, two hours plus a few minutes of work at Oregon minimum wage - about $8 something, will buy a really decent pair shoes/boots, courtesy of the Chinese who cheerfully work for pennies an hour.
(On sale at Big Five of course)
Once that's gone, how long do you think it will be  before someone tools up a shoe factory stateside?
Developes a power source and material suppliers?
Baby gotta have shoes
I can see the boot and saddle maker doing well.
( Reminds me: have to get that book mentioned in Lucifers Hammer, title to the effect :"How Things Are Made)

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I would take a slightly different tack.  If you stockpile stuff that cant be replenished then you will eventually run out and be spending whatever you traded it for to get some to use for yourself.  So I would stockpile items that allowed you to produce goods, also do it for stuff people will really need, not just convenience items they will want.  I am not saying that all of the above ideas are bad, there obviously not, I would just concentrate on different stuff.

Chickens, cows, horses, goats, sheep, turkeys and pigs, animals that reproduce and provide you with a stream of food to sell/trade.  

Veggie seeds, enough to plant for you to eat, sell/trade and harvest seeds from to sell/trade and replant.

Fruit and nut trees.

Bees for wax and honey.

Hemp would be great to make rope and other stuff but unfortunately its illegal.  So you will just have to wait until SHTF and go get some wild seeds.

Tool parts, example shovel blades, hammer heads, axe blades etc.

Knowledge, books, lots of books on everything about rendering as many products as possible from the above items.  IE learn how to cut that cow up properly, store the meat, turn the hide into leather, make butter from the milk, make cheese from the milk, etc etc.

Maybe one of the most lucrative assets you could have is the knowledge and skill to make and repair things that most people dont.

besides that, if I was going to stockpile stuff it would be kit guns or cheap milsurp guns and ammo, salt, baking soda, vitamins, medicine, gelatin, canning lids, wax, snare wire, fishing line and hooks, chlorine tablets, desalting tablets, needles and thread, I could go on and on.  Of course some of those have already been mentioned, and some wouldnt be necessary in certain locations.  If you live near large salt deposits or the ocean then obviously salt would not be a priority, but it sure as hell would be here in the middle of the plains.

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Salt

Coffee

Alcohol

Matches

Clothing and leather repair goods

books

first aid stuff (others know a lot more about this than me)

.22lr

ETA: water purifiers

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Lack of compassion for my fellow man will allow me to raise a small fighting force, and take what I want.

Then when the downtrodden peasants rise up and kill me, probably doped out of my mind on opium sitting in a pit full of the most beautiful females in the land, I'll die happy.

Because if it's truly the "End of the world as we know it" who says what rules I should follow?

Like one of my buddies says, his bug out kit for TEOTWAWKI is a Glock 19 and three magazines.   That will allow him to get whatever he needs.

To all the people who disagree, suck it.  The brilliance of my plan is, the hungrier you get, the more viable it is.

How 'bout you use your pic for your avatar so that when I see you coming across my lawn I can double tap 'ya?
'Cause I won't be following "the rules" either tough guy.
The MULE
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm yer huckleberry.

ETA:I am thinking we are being bated into a troll "I got nothing better to do down here in mom's basement" argument.

Matter of fact, I am sorry I acknowleged this post already.

I vote for the ban hammer here.

I actually think Madcap72's post will help a lot of people realize that the predators are a lot closer to home than one might think.  
I think people might want to consider ahead of time just how they will deal with people with his mindset.  It will save lives.

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm yer huckleberry.

The MULE is being nice with his reply.  

ETA: God I hope this thread doesn't turn into an epic internet pissing match.

I am thinking we are being bated into a troll "I got nothing better to do down here in mom's basement" argument.

Matter of fact, I am sorry I acknowleged this post already.

I vote for the ban hammer here.

ETA again:  Blood...Boiling...     Must not... post...

Gun kid make parole?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top