Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 7:30:06 PM EDT
They wait too late to leave, get in the SUV and drive around until they are stuck in traffic, then decide to drive around off road in an SUV that obviously isn't designed for it until they get stuck, then swim swollen rivers while a hurricane is hitting, then go into a house and stay until the flood waters hit and they have to dig through the roof.......

Are there any other decisions that they can make WRONG??

Doc
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I'm watching it right now...

I do NOT see myself:

low crawling through a CAT3 hurricane towards a house for shelter...
after myself and whoever else swam through a raging river...
after we off-roaded and blew out 2 tires...
once we figured we would be stuck in traffic..
and didn't know that a storm was off the coast that went from trop-D to CAT3...

But then again, why would I prepare for "Global Thremo-Nuclear War"or "Roving Zombie Hoards" that could occur at any time?  Well, I guess it's all about imagination.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Living in Florida for about 30 years now, and being through a few doozie hurricanes, I don't see half of the stuff happening that he showed.  But, it can always happen.  I enjoy seeing how a worst case situation would unfold.  I'm enjoying the series so far.  The simulations are pretty damn cool.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
What show are you talking about?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I was disappointed in the "Hurricane" show as well.

The show seems to be based on what you have to do if the world is literally crumbling around you. Calm, rational planning does not fit into these adrenaline-rush scenarios. I would have preferred to see a show where they were preparing over a 3-5 day period as the storm approached.

The 4WD Ford Expedition seemed to be more than enough truck to get them where they were going. However, taking a short cut through yards and a part in pouring rain did not seem like a good idea me. Nor did jumping into gator-infested waters to retrieve a john boat.

Maybe the show is supposed to illustrate the case where Mr. Murphy constantly shows up to "help" you. Having lived through several hurricanes in Texas, I just did not find last night's episode very helpful.

Next week they cover home invasions. Stay tuned. . .

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Next week they cover home invasions. Stay tuned. . .

"Don't resist! Call the cops! Guns will be taken from you and used to kill you and your dog!"

I can't wait.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I refused to watch the show because of the commercial that showed the airline terrorists as white guys.  There's a pretty long history of airline Hijackings and I'm pretty sure most if not all of them were done by Arabs.  I still have not looked into it yet but when I do Spike is getting an angry letter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I refused to watch the show because of the commercial that showed the airline terrorists as white guys.  There's a pretty long history of airline Hijackings and I'm pretty sure most if not all of them were done by Arabs.  I still have not looked into it yet but when I do Spike is getting an angry letter.

You are wrong....come on...everyone knows all the hijackers are Red headed Irishman....okay a few have been bubble
headed bleach blondes.  

I remember in the 60's hearing about another hijacked plane to cuba, or was it from cuba.    I am sure your right.  Glen beck showed the
same video tonight that MSNBC had doctored to only show the AR-15 that this guy wore to a Obama speech,  The female so called news reporter
tried to play the race card as if this guy was a rascist...carrying a gun, a Black President speaking   TURNS OUT... when Glenn Beck shows the whole video....the guy was Black....

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That seems like an incredibly narrow minded reason for not watching a show.
Couldn't white guys hijack a plan just as well as an Arab? There have been recorded hijackings all over the world, by people of all countries and for all sorts of reasons.  Even the CIA instigated cubans to hijack cuban planes and order them to fly to  US bases.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That seems like an incredibly narrow minded reason for not watching a show.

Any reason is a good reason not to watch this show...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#10]
The other shows in the series have been real good. "Hurricane" is definitely the weakest so far though, if they had shown it as the first show I'd likely not watched any more of them but the first two were good enough I will continue watching.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#11]
There is one on Home Invasions soon.  I don't remember what day but I have the DVR set.  Home Invasions are likely one of the biggest day to day threats we all face and as I assume some know my brother and his family went through one for no other reason then my sister-in-law worked at a bank and these three crack head teen/twenty somethings thought they would kidnap her and force her to open the bank for them.

Well, my brother got shot in the deal and they tossed my sister-in-law from a car at highway speeds.  She has perminant brain damage and likely will never be able to return to work and yea, they didn't get any money from the bank as bank employees don't just have access to teh money at off hours either.

This is one of my many projects that I have locked up as the darned spammers were trashing the place while I was busy with other projects.  I am looking for anybody that is interested in home invasions to help me moderate the spamers and I woudl be willing to turn the site back on to new posts as well...

Here is the link:

http://www.home-invasion.com

The fire show was interesting and I learned stuff in that show that could well be very helpful but I am very anxious for the home invasion show.  My home is my fortress and it was fortified to defend against home invasions as I have seen how one night can ruin your life forever.  

My philosophy:  Train to fight and fight to win and the only way to win a home invasion is kill them before they kill you!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#12]
They wait too late to leave, get in the SUV and drive around until they are stuck in traffic, then decide to drive around off road in an SUV that obviously isn't designed for it until they get stuck, then swim swollen rivers while a hurricane is hitting, then go into a house and stay until the flood waters hit and they have to dig through the roof.......

Are there any other decisions that they can make WRONG??

You don't learn from other peoples' successes. You learn from their mistakes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top