Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2009 11:42:21 PM EDT
Please no flames here but I am thinking about selling off my revolvers and adding to my 9mm inventory with Glock 17's. I have a few .45's which I will keep. I personally like the Glock platform and it's track record. Parts are plentyful and ammo is available everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Please no flames here but I am thinking about selling off my revolvers and adding to my 9mm inventory with Glock 17's. I have a few .45's which I will keep. I personally like the Glock platform and it's track record. Parts are plentyful and ammo is available everywhere.

What revolvers are you going to sell off?
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Since you use the plural in your post, and this is in the survival forum, I am assuming these are SHTF firearms that might not actually be for your personal use.

With that caveat, I suggest you keep in mind that semi-autos demand significantly more training than a revolver in terms of their safe and effective use.  I will ALWAYS have some wheelguns in my preps simply for that reason.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 2:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I would keep at least one 357 and a 44 or a 45 colt around.
You may get a box of ammo that needs a gun.
The glock is a good gun but one or two in 40 s&w plus a9mm barrel is plenty.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 2:22:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Since you use the plural in your post, and this is in the survival forum, I am assuming these are SHTF firearms that might not actually be for your personal use.

With that caveat, I suggest you keep in mind that semi-autos demand significantly more training than a revolver in terms of their safe and effective use.  I will ALWAYS have some wheelguns in my preps simply for that reason.

ALSO:  Glocks can not be re-cocked w/ less than 2 hands , or w/o ejecting that round, (try recocking one while holding a light, a ladder or a zombie w/ one hand)   Glocks require precise, pressure sensitive, ammo, and gag on cast bullets. Glocks can't just " sit around" ready to go w/ ALL the springs relaxed.  Glocks throw their brass where you can't find it.  The longer a shtf, or a libtard ammo crisis , lasted the more practical a revolver might seem. (what with old or jerry-rigged or wrong powdered/primered or dirty ammo)  Auto-pistol advantage is great, but only when everything is 'just right' !
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 3:14:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ALSO:  Glocks can not be re-cocked w/ less than 2 hands , or w/o ejecting that round, (try recocking one while holding a light, a ladder or a zombie w/ one hand)   Glocks require precise, pressure sensitive, ammo, and gag on cast bullets. Glocks can't just " sit around" ready to go w/ ALL the springs relaxed.  Glocks throw their brass where you can't find it.  The longer a shtf, or a libtard ammo crisis , lasted the more practical a revolver might seem. (what with old or jerry-rigged or wrong powdered/primered or dirty ammo)  Auto-pistol advantage is great, but only when everything is 'just right' !

I am sorry but you obviously have not taken any pistol classes other than a NRA "stand on the line and shoot type". I run a Glock 17 and have done so many times while handling a light. I also have run one while shooting accurately while maneuvering my daughter with the other hand (defending others class). I have been taught to do a mag change and drop the slide with one hand (even weak side) and to clear any jams the same way.

Last I knew keeping a spring compressed does absolutely nothing to harm the spring (it is working the spring that will weaken it over time).

If you are shooting jerry rigged, wrong powdered/primered ammo in any firearm you very well may get a lesson in what to do with a stump for a hand. The only weapon that I have ever personally seen blow up is a revolver (guy was using his own reloads and put to big of a charge in one).

With all that said there is something about a revolver that is just plain nice. I really like revolvers and the fact that if it does not go bang for some reason, you can just pull the trigger again is a bonus. The only downside IMHO is the reduced ammo capacity and that personally I find them harder to reload in a big hurry if needed (altho I have never tried speed strips, or speed loaders).
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 3:26:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I say do what you are inclined to shoot the most.  What matters is training, repetition, and proficiency.  So get what you enjoy and will shoot more over time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 3:36:22 AM EDT
[#7]
ms329, why would anyone 'flame' ya for making that choice?

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 3:37:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey, if you have a 3-inch Model 65 you're going to sell, e-mail me . . .
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 3:48:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Please no flames here but I am thinking about selling off my revolvers and adding to my 9mm inventory with Glock 17's. ....

A 9mm glock is about the most reliable pistol available. Ammo, parts, and used low-cost police trade-ins, and good mags are very available.  More to the point,  glocks, 1911s, and similar milspec pistols can be repaired by just about any ham-fisted person like me; trying to re-time a smith K frame is beyond all but the best gunsmith.  There is a reason all the armies around the world switched to semi-auto pistols 70+ years ago.

I think the 40sw is a better GP round and sufficiently available for SHTF use so I have gone with the 40sw glocks, but the 9mm is more likely to be available and 9mm FMJ for reloading are cheap. I have been very happy with the 124g +P golddot that does almost 1350fps out of a glock 34, placing it in the low end of 357mag range. You many need to switch out your front sight to re-regulate the piece with hotter ammo however.

You will need additional training over your experience, however, the glock is about the best choice for former revolver shooter, as many police departments concluded in the 1980s.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 3:53:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't sell the revolver (or any gun for that matter ).  Instead check out Summit Gun Broker or some other online retailer of police trade in glocks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 4:14:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 4:48:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you ever tried to fire a glock from within your jacket pocket?  You can do that with a revolver.  

Just imagine it is a fall day during an TEOTWAWKI situation.  All supply trucks have stopped running for six weeks, the country is in chaos as rogue groups have robbed and hoarded any and all supplies.  You are going into a rogue compound to barter some silver for supplies.  The deal goes sour and the shady shop keeper pulls his gun on you and demands you hand over the silver, or he will kill you.  You just happen to have a revolver in your coat pocket where your hand already is.  You fire two shots through your jacket and the encounter is over.

Three days later you are in your sleeping bag getting some rest and one of the shop keepers buddies has tracked you down at 3AM and busts into your tent.  You are caught off guard and your primary pistol is three feet away, but you did manage to put your revolver in your bag when you went to sleep.  You squeeze off four shots through the bag and end the situation.

Later in the week you are driving out to get further away from the cities and their chaos.  You happen to pick up a lady who is hitch hiking along the road.  Five miles down the road a group if vigilante thugs starts to open fire on you.  Your car is disabled and you have to flee.  You hand your backup revolver to the lady and tell her to run.  She won't need any instructions on it's operation.

I have several 9mm autos.  I carry a 9mm as my EDC CCW.  But if the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, I would also stuff my S&W 66 into my pack.  A revolver has many good features and makes a great secondary weapon (if not a good primary).

I'd personally keep at least one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#13]
That's an excellent choice.
Buy plenty of magazines.

Certain vendors give bulk deals and you'll need a lot.
The Glock 17 is a workhorse.
Reliable, accurate, reliable, reliable.
Perfect SHTF in my opinion.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd keep something in .357 Magnum.

But your choice to sell your other revolvers for the 9mm GLOCK platform is an excellent one.

People can say whatever they want, but you just can't beat a 9mm GLOCK (in my case, a 19) for a utility handgun.

But if/when you do get the GLOCK, don't mess with it.

Keep it completely stock except for maybe adding some night sights (I like XS Big Dots) and maybe a tactical light to the rail. Just, please, don't mess with the internals of it if you intended to use this as a survival handgun.

3.5# trigger bars, metal guide rods, and all kinds of reduced/increased springs are fine for a competition or target pistol, but they do not belong on a fighting gun.

Also, +2 magazine extensions suck, don't waste your money on them.

Again, good choice on the GLOCK
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I was on a Revolver kick this past year and I bought quite a few of them.  My SHTF guns are the 9mm glocks and I have the G26, G19, and a pair of G17s and they are without doubt my primary survival guns.  With that said, the 44mag, 45colt, 454 Casull all are fun guns to shoot and have power to do what a 9mm just can't come close to.

I have far more revolvers then I need and I don't consider them primary SHTF guns.  If your only way you can finish otther preps is to sell what you have as extra then I would do that as opposed to not having what you may need more.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Own and love my g19 but i would still keep at least 1 revolver as they are just about bulletproof/ failproof/ idiotproof.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't get rid of them all, if you HAVE to sell one and get the G17.

I have only sold one gun in my life and I regret it to this day. I often wonder how far I would get if I called that dealer up and tried to track that thing down to buy it back. It bugs the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#18]
+1 on keeping the revolvers.

Save up and buy the glocks as money allows.

Just my .2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Without knowing your complete handgun inventory I would offer this advice. The G17 is an outstanding choice for a SHTF platform, and I would confidently buy these for your group based on reliability, extreme ease of maintenance, mag price points, etc. And personally, 9mm is the way to go. It is cheaper than .40 and .45 and I believe there is minimal differences with a good, hot defensive load.

But I wouldn't eliminate all my wheelguns to do it. I kind of like the fact that revolvers don't need mags to operate. If you find yourself in a situation where you loose the one or two glock mags you happen to have on you, you now have a single shot. A wheelgun makes a great backup.

ETA: I have very rarely EVER sold a firearm without regretting it later.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

<snip>

If you are shooting jerry rigged, wrong powdered/primered ammo in any firearm you very well may get a lesson in what to do with a stump for a hand. The only weapon that I have ever personally seen blow up is a revolver (guy was using his own reloads and put to big of a charge in one).

<snip>

I can see what he is getting at, though. A revolver is going to be more tolerant of poor reloads, i.e. underpowered, wrong OAL, poor crimp, etc. I have seen .38 plinker rounds loaded with shotgun powder and wadcutters. It did not all burn, but the weapon worked fine.

Reloading a .38 is about as cheap as you are going to get once you have the brass. My dad does his with $30/500 158gr cast lead and even cheaper wadcutters.

ETA: Grammar

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Diffrent strokes, I just added a Model 19 to my survival armory.  Revolver just seems more reliable & it is able to shoot two calibres of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#22]
You'll regret it, yeah the glocks are terrific survival pistols but what about shtf block party's were we come together and string the zombies by there feet and have an informal shoot. A 357 will not only give you more range for that one zombie on the back branch it will deliver more power at the delivery point making much more dramatic shots.

Sell the revolver as I want the zombie branch championship.

Nothing wrong with having a couple fun guns without a purpose.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh and another thing.  You can rip off six shots and not leave any brass behind.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you ever tried to fire a glock from within your jacket pocket?  You can do that with a revolver.  

Just imagine it is a fall day during an TEOTWAWKI situation.  All supply trucks have stopped running for six weeks, the country is in chaos as rogue groups have robbed and hoarded any and all supplies.  You are going into a rogue compound to barter some silver for supplies.  The deal goes sour and the shady shop keeper pulls his gun on you and demands you hand over the silver, or he will kill you.  You just happen to have a revolver in your coat pocket where your hand already is.  You fire two shots through your jacket and the encounter is over.

Three days later you are in your sleeping bag getting some rest and one of the shop keepers buddies has tracked you down at 3AM and busts into your tent.  You are caught off guard and your primary pistol is three feet away, but you did manage to put your revolver in your bag when you went to sleep.  You squeeze off four shots through the bag and end the situation.

Later in the week you are driving out to get further away from the cities and their chaos.  You happen to pick up a lady who is hitch hiking along the road.  Five miles down the road a group if vigilante thugs starts to open fire on you.  Your car is disabled and you have to flee.  You hand your backup revolver to the lady and tell her to run.  She won't need any instructions on it's operation.

I have several 9mm autos.  I carry a 9mm as my EDC CCW.  But if the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, I would also stuff my S&W 66 into my pack.  A revolver has many good features and makes a great secondary weapon (if not a good primary).

If you need a pocket revolver to get out of those situations then your a idiot. You shouldnt be in them in the first place

alone to barter, sleeping in a tent w/o security.and picking up hitchickers-you wont last long
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you need a pocket revolver to get out of those situations then your a idiot. You shouldnt be in them in the first place

alone to barter, sleeping in a tent w/o security.and picking up hitchickers-you wont last long

<sigh>

It was a fictional example.......sheesh!  

Ok, is this better?

Quoted:

You went to barter, and ten well armed friends went with you, but the traders would only let you in unarmed.  After you were searched, a buddy slipped you a revolver to stick in your coat pocket. You were not thrilled about going in alone, but the marauders had several .50 cal truck mounted weapons now pointing at your group, so disagreeing was pointless.  At least you had the comfort of your hand now gripping a .357 and no one knew.

The point is, have you ever shot an auto from a coat pocket, in a bag, under a pillow, in a pack, from a fanny pack?  Odds are far better it will jam.  Yes it is the extreme, but in an TEOTWAWKI situation, you have no idea what the extreme will need to be, nor what risks or situations you may need to take to survive.  Having a wheel gun as a secondary or alternative may be beneficial.

Look at what happened in the Civil War.  States seceded from the union over slavery.  With the way politics is going in DC and the states reaffirming their sovereignty, an TEOTWAWKI situation could easily happen.  State legislatures are voicing to DC that the 2nd Amendment is absolute and God given.  State governors are telling DC that the states have control of the state national guard units and not DC.  Even right now Feinstien is waiting in the background for the right moment to push more gun control, even though the Supreme Court has ruled in the favor of an individual.

Look at what happened to Rome when their britches got to big.

But as I digress, the idea is that we have no idea what tomorrow will bring.  Nor do we have the slightest clue as to what situations we may find ourselves in.   I have 9mm pistols, a .357 revolver, an AR15, a shotgun, a 22lr, a 9mm carbine and a .30-.30.  It is enough variety that "should" get me by for just about anything.  it can't hurt to keep at least one revolver in your line up.

If I had to hoof it, I'd take the AR, my XD9, and still stuff the .357 in my pack.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#26]
KING OF PAGE 2

Realisticaly, I don't think it makes a difference one way or another whether you use an automatic or a revolver or is you have all the same guns or all different guns.  Uniformity is good for budget and logistic reasons but makes little difference unless you have a large organization.  Even in a major SHTF you are unlikely to get in a sustained gun battle with a pistol. Having a handgun for defensive purposes is all that counts. It doesn't matter what it is.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Dibs on any S&W Model 27s, 28s, 29s or 2.5" Model 19 Combat Magnums.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Diffrent strokes, I just added a Model 19 to my survival armory.  Revolver just seems more reliable & it is able to shoot two calibres of ammo.

Plus revolvers are more tolerant of underpowered post-apocalypse reloads.

Sidebar: For a kaboom, which would be more dangerous? A Glock or a revolver?

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd much rather have 20 rounds to keep their heads down than 6 while I am fleeing the scene or making my way to my rifle.

ETA:

Regarding the ability to shoot two calibers of ammo, a revolver can do that but unfortunately they are two obsolescent calibers.  Neither 38 or 357 are in widespread use by either law enforcement or the military, the two institutions that will have access to ammo in some kind of breakdown.  The military stocks many millions of rounds of 9mm, surely by far the biggest stock of pistol ammunition in the country, and next to nothing of anything else.  Those stocks will make their way into civilian hands one way or the other, just like M16 magazines did during the ban.

I have heard that the Glock can be made to shoot two calibers as well by getting an aftermarket 9mm barrel for a 40 Glock.  It will then shoot 9mm, the military's primary caliber, and .40, law enforcement’s primary caliber.  How well that works, I can't say.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not a glock fan, but it makes sense to me, OP.  

Except, consider the 19 rather than the 17.  Bit easier to conceal, for no real loss of capability.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#31]

I wouldn't if I were you.  Revolvers are the ultimate weapon for several years into a TEOTWAWKI event.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2cqgoea.jpg

I wouldn't if I were you.  Revolvers are the ultimate weapon for several years into a TEOTWAWKI event.

What movie is that from?
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#33]
My simple answer is to pick a direction and go that way.

Glocks have their points since they are easy to work on and reliable and you can get a lot of accessories for them since they are so common.

I personally kind of like revolvers and I don't get too concerned about 38 special or 357 mag or 44 mag not being military calibers these days.

A revolver handles lead bullets with ease, with glocks you have various opinions on if someone should shoot lead in a stock glock barrel or buy an aftermarket barrel or whatever.

And revolvers can be a pain to work on if they go out of time or something.  I personally have never had that happen though so I don't get too worried about it.

The nice thing about revolvers is they don't throw brass so it is easy to collect it for reloading purposes and since revolvers don't mind lead bullets you can cast your own bullets if you wish to do so.

And if you reload you can load for your needs.  As much as I like owning 44mag revolvers I wind up shooting a lot of 44 special type loads in them because they are easier to shoot so I enjoy them more.  But if I want 44 mag loads I have that as well.

A revolver does not care what load you have in it when it comes to cycling the next load.

But with a glock you can get an aftermarket barrel with threads and stick a sillencer on the end and make things a lot more quiet.

Revolvers for the most part are hard to stick a can on.

But overall it helps to pick one direction, get some training and stick to it instead of second guessing yourself and changing things all the time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I prefer Glocks.  At work I have been accused of being a Glock sales rep.

As much as I love Glocks, I would advise you to keep a few of your revolvers.  If something would ever happen where you lose your Glock mags, you have single shot pistols as someone already pointed out.  Revolvers rounds can still be loaded one or two at a time.

During the months I have to wear a jacket, a S&W snubby "lives" in my right hand jacket pocket.

I have been thinking about adding a stainless S&W model 25, .45 ACP revolver to back up my Glock 21's.

Regardless of what model of Glock you purchase, I highly suggest you purchase an Advantage Arms .22 converison kit.  You will be able to practice more for a lot less money, and it turns your centerfire Glock into a rimfire small game getter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#35]
A revolver has fewer user operating parts, and has fewer concepts to teach than a semi auto.

In practice tho, shooting a Glock or XD trigger is much easier to master than a long DA revolver trigger pull.

A modern semi auto is preferred for a target rich scenario such as The Colony or Katrina. A revolver may be more durable during a long term The Road style scenario.  Which one is more likely? I would argue the first one.. A combat pistol such as a Glock or XD is a much bigger force multiplier against multiple armed adverseries than a revolver.

If you're relying on your revolver and a handful of ammunition against cannibalistic road-warriors, you've already lost. Get a semi auto Glock or XD to prevent that scenario from coming to pass.

-M
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Give serious consideration to the glock 19 if concealed carry has any role in your plans.........  

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I hope you didn't come to this decision based on Mondays podcast.  The opinions expressed are one mans.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Do it.....they're a solid product. Contrary to some poop mentioned earlier, they'll digest a wide variety of ammo; from hot SMG to cast lead with ease. Read up on the quirks of shooting lead...clean well to avoid lead smearing and pressure build-up.

It's called evolution.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#39]
glocks are great guns there are a couple of things i would upgrade though.
if you imagine yourself shooting lead ammo or reloads frequently, i would suggest purchasing a drop in barrel with conventional rifling to keep in your parts kit.

another good upgrade would be some aftermarket steel sights.
just needs to be durable and work well with your eyes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2cqgoea.jpg

What movie is that from?

Looks like "The Road"
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 4:52:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I would keep at least one 357 and a 44 or a 45 colt around.
You may get a box of ammo that needs a gun.
The glock is a good gun but one or two in 40 s&w plus a9mm barrel is plenty.

I agree with this.  You never know in a barter/survival situation what type of gun or ammo you may come up with.  Also, revolvers may easier to use if you have  to enlist the help of a neighbor that is not as familiar with firearms.
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

During the months I have to wear a jacket, a S&W snubby "lives" in my right hand jacket pocket.

And on the 8th day, God created the G26

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I did what you're considering a few months ago.  After coming to terms with the fact I wasn't going to be teaching much any more, I consolidated my "one of every kind" collection and purchased G19's and G26's - enough to outfit the family and friends with the same gear.  Every holster works with every firearm, mags are interchangable (G19 fits in G26, not the other way around of course).  Now I know whatever vehicle I get in, there are mags in the console. I've bought a single set of parts for the top slide and receiver from glockmeister along with a few extra spares.  I'm shortly going to outfit them all with night sites bought in bulk.  I can stock up on one kind of ammo versus having 5 pistol calibers alone.  

Is it boring?  Sure.  The glocks are like SUVs - exceptional at nothing, good at everything.  I don't regret it, though.  Sometimes boring (consistency) is good.  Working on a limited budget, it's also nice to know I have spare parts, plenty of mags, plenty of quality ammo and consistent training for the family.  

Somebody will always be able to concoct a scenario where a revolver is better than an auto or vice versa.  The reality is it's not practical to carry an MBR, an AR15, a 12 gauge, an auto pistol, a revolver, etc., etc.  You are going to have to make a compromise on what you think is reasonable to carry.  In general, I suspect that if SHTF that a pistol will only serve as a back-up anyway and probably won't carry two (particularly if it calls for different ammo and training).  I would rather have less weight or more food, ammo or mags for my rifle.  

As someone else said, seriously consider the 19 versus the 17.  I have a good bit of experience with both, and don't see the 17's extra size/weight as being worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Hope you didn't answer this already and I just missed it but how many revolvers are you talking about? Is it possible to "mix & match". I have a G19 and G26 but also have a S&W M19 and S&W M60 (in fairness "I" don't - my wife is the bigger wheelgun fan although we do cross-train). There are plenty of other pistols/calibers in the "armory" but these are our go-to guns. Are you in a financial position to have a "mixed marriage"?
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#45]
I have done the same but instead I will standardize on the 19 because it's more versatile than the 17.

I have not much use for a revolver, which is an obsolete weapon ––- WHY?  

Because after all, they're all just handguns anyway!
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#46]
We all have our own ideas.  I am an Old Wardog, with most of my best days behind me. That being said, I maintain as my main battle rifle, the AR15, with a couple of M1s and M14s. My main pistols are the 1911s. I have enough of both weapon systems to arm every menber of my family and then some. That being said, I like the Glock and would convent over to the 17 or 19 if I did not already have  ten thousands dollars in 1911s and parts. I am not crazy about the 9mm, but my wife likes it, I like the Glocks that shoot 45 apc. I rebuild my 1911s after about 15,000 rounds. Glocks, I and told, can to 250,000 to 350,000 rounds before they need a rebuild. I like revolers, they a simple to work, what I would let a new shooter use and carry. Just my feelings, their is no right answer.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'll take any 4" Model 19s or 66s

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

<snipped>

As someone else said, seriously consider the 19 versus the 17.  I have a good bit of experience with both, and don't see the 17's extra size/weight as being worth the trouble.

The G17 only weighs 1.93 oz more then the G19 and that's with two extra rounds.  

With a good quality holster the size matters not.  I can conceal my G17 just fine with no printing.  If it is a SHTF, then printing won't matter.  Although I don't carry the glock very often anymore, as it is either my XD9 or Ruger SR9.

But in all honesty with 15 years of concealed carry under my belt, my S&W 66 in a Don Hume holster has always blended in to the body better than any auto.  But in trade off of capacity, I have been carrying my autos more so the last 4 years and leave the 66 at home for the wife.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take any 4" Model 19s or 66s

LOL

Deal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top