Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

On the positive side, you're switching to a multi-purpose weapons platform!  Now you've got both your Firearms & Explosives covered!

Seriously, I think a 38/357 revolver is indispensible in a survival situation!  There's some value to the fact that the casings are kept in the cylinder making them easier to collect & reload!

Could you give me an example of the Survival situation where that would be more beneficial than more ammo in the gun your carrying?

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
On the positive side, you're switching to a multi-purpose weapons platform!  Now you've got both your Firearms & Explosives covered!

Seriously, I think a 38/357 revolver is indispensible in a survival situation!  There's some value to the fact that the casings are kept in the cylinder making them easier to collect & reload!

Could you give me an example of the Survival situation where that would be more beneficial than more ammo in the gun your carrying?

Reloading would be a fairly essential survival aspect, if it's going longterm. If you lose casings from firing an automatic, it's not exactly something most people could recreate at home.

Just my two cents. That said, I'm not a big fan of revolvers. I'd much rather have a 1911 or XD.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reloading would be a fairly essential survival aspect, if it's going longterm. If you lose casings from firing an automatic, it's not exactly something most people could recreate at home.

Just my two cents. That said, I'm not a big fan of revolvers. I'd much rather have a 1911 or XD.
I guess everyone's thought process/mindset is different. When i think survival situation and handgun i think about whats best for using it to defend my life.

Worrying about saving brass isn't part of that process.

I reload having reloading components should be part of your preps for multiple reasons.......

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Beats wiping off your fingerprints on your 9mm ammo.  With a .357 you take the brass with you.

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Although I'm a dyed-in-the-wool pistol guy, I really like revolvers and have several in .38 and .22 caliber. They are more tolerant of marginal ammo and rarely have magazine issues.

That said, I'm still much more likely to be carrying a .45 pistol.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
If it feels right do it, sell the revolvers.  But, before you do take a look around the house.  I bet if you are like most people, there are some other odds and ends you could sell too.  Stuff that doesn't appreciate like firearms do.  

In a SHTF event, you might not find too many uses for much of the clutter around the average American house, but extra guns are always useful.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since you use the plural in your post, and this is in the survival forum, I am assuming these are SHTF firearms that might not actually be for your personal use.

With that caveat, I suggest you keep in mind that semi-autos demand significantly more training than a revolver in terms of their safe and effective use.  I will ALWAYS have some wheelguns in my preps simply for that reason.

ALSO:  Glocks can not be re-cocked w/ less than 2 hands , or w/o ejecting that round, (try recocking one while holding a light, a ladder or a zombie w/ one hand)   Glocks require precise, pressure sensitive, ammo, and gag on cast bullets. Glocks can't just " sit around" ready to go w/ ALL the springs relaxed.  Glocks throw their brass where you can't find it.  The longer a shtf, or a libtard ammo crisis , lasted the more practical a revolver might seem. (what with old or jerry-rigged or wrong powdered/primered or dirty ammo)  Auto-pistol advantage is great, but only when everything is 'just right' !

I'm going to throw this out there. I think this guy is a glock hater.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since you use the plural in your post, and this is in the survival forum, I am assuming these are SHTF firearms that might not actually be for your personal use.

With that caveat, I suggest you keep in mind that semi-autos demand significantly more training than a revolver in terms of their safe and effective use.  I will ALWAYS have some wheelguns in my preps simply for that reason.

ALSO:  Glocks can not be re-cocked w/ less than 2 hands , or w/o ejecting that round, (try recocking one while holding a light, a ladder or a zombie w/ one hand)   Glocks require precise, pressure sensitive, ammo, and gag on cast bullets. Glocks can't just " sit around" ready to go w/ ALL the springs relaxed.  Glocks throw their brass where you can't find it.  The longer a shtf, or a libtard ammo crisis , lasted the more practical a revolver might seem. (what with old or jerry-rigged or wrong powdered/primered or dirty ammo)  Auto-pistol advantage is great, but only when everything is 'just right' !

I'm going to throw this out there. I think this guy is a glock hater.

Now you tell me:   That might be why I only have 3 Glocks......  Including my 'go-to' & CCW!
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Please no flames here but I am thinking about selling off my revolvers and adding to my 9mm inventory with Glock 17's. I have a few .45's which I will keep. I personally like the Glock platform and it's track record. Parts are plentyful and ammo is available everywhere.

I was in the same situation a few years ago and did sell all of my revolvers and went with Glocks. I have never regreted doing it. I have a bunch of 9mms and a couple of .40 w/357 sig barrels...

I would go for it!!!

Amos1909

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I would go with whichever one you are more comfortable with, assuming you shoot both equally.

A guns features are useless if you cant hit shit with it.

I personally prefer the .45 in a 1911 platform ( glocks are great thou), BUT if I were forced to pick only one handgun to have for an extended period, I would choose my 3'' m65 over any auto..

The m65 has fixed sights which I don't have to worry about bumping off zero, or at worst breaking, it can handle a variety of ammo, it is stainless, and I consider it compact allowing for ease of carry. While I know it has its limitations in an urban setting, it is utterly reliable.

I really like your idea of one gun, one mag for everything, but at the least I would keep one revolver handy for "whatever"

YMMV

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Please no flames here but I am thinking about selling off my revolvers and adding to my 9mm inventory with Glock 17's. I have a few .45's which I will keep. I personally like the Glock platform and it's track record. Parts are plentyful and ammo is available everywhere.

I was in the same situation a few years ago and did sell all of my revolvers and went with Glocks. I have never regreted doing it. I have a bunch of 9mms and a couple of .40 w/357 sig barrels...

I would go for it!!!

Amos1909

I am another one that has dumped my wheel guns  (and other autos too) and standardized on Glocks as my primary sidearm.  I went with the G19 because it is more concealable and easier for smaller hands to handle, which I recommend you consider, but the concept is the same.  I have absolutely NO regrets on doing so!  To the contrary, now everyone is proficient and confident with the Glock, and I only have to stock parts and ammo for one type of pistol.  I do have a couple of Ruger MKII .22lr pistols for practice and small game/pest control, but I am in the process of outfitting each G19 with a .22lr conversion kit, so the Rugers will soon be expendable too.  The biggest reason I am considering keeping at least one of the Rugers is that I am in the process of acquiring one with an integral suppressor and I want the other around for practice without over-working the suppressor, but the Glocks are my EDC and go-to pistols.  I have installed the LaserMax Guide Rod laser in a couple of my G19s, which  is an outstanding addition if you are willing to pay the price (around $400 each).  With the LaserMax, all my holsters still work with the gun, and I have the ability to accurately train my pistol on a target, even in low to no light conditions, without having to use tradional methods to gain a sight picture.  BTW, I also have Trijicon Tritium nite sights on my G19s.  Again, I think you are on the right track myself.  Standardization makes so many things a LOT easier....especially when you standardize on something as high quality and reliable as the G17 or G19.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a few wheel guns, that I'll keep forever. A 41 mag, a 38 special and a taurus judge that I just did a trade for some ammo I no longer needed.

I also have a lever action carbine in 41 mag. Great iron site combo for hunting game.

I have standardized my wife and my side arms on Glock 17's though, I just saved up and made it happen.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would go for it!!!

Amos1909

I went with an Advantage Arms .22lr uppper for my G19's.  I had Tornado Technologies thread it for my suppressor.  The barrel is short enough to keep bulk pack .22lr sub sonic.

I am another one that has dumped my wheel guns  (and other autos too) and standardized on Glocks as my primary sidearm.  I went with the G19 because it is more concealable and easier for smaller hands to handle, which I recommend you consider, but the concept is the same.  I have absolutely NO regrets on doing so!  To the contrary, now everyone is proficient and confident with the Glock, and I only have to stock parts and ammo for one type of pistol.  I do have a couple of Ruger MKII .22lr pistols for practice and small game/pest control, but I am in the process of outfitting each G19 with a .22lr conversion kit, so the Rugers will soon be expendable too.  The biggest reason I am considering keeping at least one of the Rugers is that I am in the process of acquiring one with an integral suppressor and I want the other around for practice without over-working the suppressor, but the Glocks are my EDC and go-to pistols.  I have installed the LaserMax Guide Rod laser in a couple of my G19s, which  is an outstanding addition if you are willing to pay the price (around $400 each).  With the LaserMax, all my holsters still work with the gun, and I have the ability to accurately train my pistol on a target, even in low to no light conditions, without having to use tradional methods to gain a sight picture.  BTW, I also have Trijicon Tritium nite sights on my G19s.  Again, I think you are on the right track myself.  Standardization makes so many things a LOT easier....especially when you standardize on something as high quality and reliable as the G17 or G19.

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would go for it!!!

Amos1909

I went with an Advantage Arms .22lr uppper for my G19's.  I had Tornado Technologies thread it for my suppressor.  The barrel is short enough to keep bulk pack .22lr sub sonic.

That's what I've been buying too, the Advantage Arms conversion kits.  They are the best in my book!!!  Not cheap though!  I thought about just getting a can for one of these, but decided that I really wanted to have the dedicated pistol instead.  The integral unit on a Ruger MkII doesn't stand out as a suppressed weapon to the uninitiated, so it doesn't raise any red flags if someone should happen to see it.  I guess you could say it is a form of concealment for what the pistol really is.  Not completely logical reasoning, and I can form a good arguement to take the other direction too, but that's the way I went.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would go for it!!!

Amos1909

I went with an Advantage Arms .22lr uppper for my G19's. I had Tornado Technologies thread it for my suppressor. The barrel is short enough to keep bulk pack .22lr sub sonic.

I am another one that has dumped my wheel guns (and other autos too) and standardized on Glocks as my primary sidearm. I went with the G19 because it is more concealable and easier for smaller hands to handle, which I recommend you consider, but the concept is the same. I have absolutely NO regrets on doing so! To the contrary, now everyone is proficient and confident with the Glock, and I only have to stock parts and ammo for one type of pistol. I do have a couple of Ruger MKII .22lr pistols for practice and small game/pest control, but I am in the process of outfitting each G19 with a .22lr conversion kit, so the Rugers will soon be expendable too. The biggest reason I am considering keeping at least one of the Rugers is that I am in the process of acquiring one with an integral suppressor and I want the other around for practice without over-working the suppressor, but the Glocks are my EDC and go-to pistols. I have installed the LaserMax Guide Rod laser in a couple of my G19s, which is an outstanding addition if you are willing to pay the price (around $400 each). With the LaserMax, all my holsters still work with the gun, and I have the ability to accurately train my pistol on a target, even in low to no light conditions, without having to use tradional methods to gain a sight picture. BTW, I also have Trijicon Tritium nite sights on my G19s. Again, I think you are on the right track myself. Standardization makes so many things a LOT easier....especially when you standardize on something as high quality and reliable as the G17 or G19.

That's what I've been buying too, the Advantage Arms conversion kits. They are the best in my book!!! Not cheap though! I thought about just getting a can for one of these, but decided that I really wanted to have the dedicated pistol instead. The integral unit on a Ruger MkII doesn't stand out as a suppressed weapon to the uninitiated, so it doesn't raise any red flags if someone should happen to see it. I guess you could say it is a form of concealment for what the pistol really is. Not completely logical reasoning, and I can form a good arguement to take the other direction too, but that's the way I went.

Same here!! Advantage Arms conversion kits are the best!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I standardized on the G19 as my common gun. Lots of people can shoot it well. I really am torn between the G21SF vs the G19 as my personal favorite, but the G19 makes sense for a common issue gun. Of course I am a big believer in revolvers too. But, when it comes to work/social purposes, I prefer an auto.

Here is a pic:

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I standardized on the G19 as my common gun. Lots of people can shoot it well. I really am torn between the G21SF vs the G19 as my personal favorite, but the G19 makes sense for a common issue gun. Of course I am a big believer in revolvers too. But, when it comes to work/social purposes, I prefer an auto.

Here is a pic:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/007.jpg

I had the G21s for a while too, but they were just too bulky for EDC, so I found myself leaving them behind in favor of the G19.  My personal evolution towards the G19 was a slow one, but a logical one.  It literally took a couple of years to get there.  The condensed story is I just found myself grabbing the G19 more and more often, without really putting conscious thought behind it, when I grabbed a pistol in spite of the fact that I had MANY others to choose from.  And some of the other choices I had were pretty slick guns in anybody's book.  Finally, when I noticed myself doing this, I began to question my own motives for doing so.  I liked the answers, and here we are today with me and the entire family standardized on the G19 and loving it.

I still have a few special purpose handguns for very specific applications, but the 99.4% honors go to the G19.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you ever tried to fire a glock from within your jacket pocket?  You can do that with a revolver.  

Just imagine it is a fall day during an TEOTWAWKI situation.  All supply trucks have stopped running for six weeks, the country is in chaos as rogue groups have robbed and hoarded any and all supplies.  You are going into a rogue compound to barter some silver for supplies.  The deal goes sour and the shady shop keeper pulls his gun on you and demands you hand over the silver, or he will kill you.  You just happen to have a revolver in your coat pocket where your hand already is.  You fire two shots through your jacket and the encounter is over.

Three days later you are in your sleeping bag getting some rest and one of the shop keepers buddies has tracked you down at 3AM and busts into your tent.  You are caught off guard and your primary pistol is three feet away, but you did manage to put your revolver in your bag when you went to sleep.  You squeeze off four shots through the bag and end the situation.

Later in the week you are driving out to get further away from the cities and their chaos.  You happen to pick up a lady who is hitch hiking along the road.  Five miles down the road a group if vigilante thugs starts to open fire on you.  Your car is disabled and you have to flee.  You hand your backup revolver to the lady and tell her to run.  She won't need any instructions on it's operation.

I have several 9mm autos.  I carry a 9mm as my EDC CCW.  But if the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, I would also stuff my S&W 66 into my pack.  A revolver has many good features and makes a great secondary weapon (if not a good primary).

I'd personally keep at least one.

If you need a pocket revolver to get out of those situations then your a idiot. You shouldnt be in them in the first place

alone to barter, sleeping in a tent w/o security.and picking up hitchickers-you wont last long

A standard practice, send the lady out to sucker someone to pick her up, his mind is on her legs, or tits...we will ambush him around the corner.
If he gets away we will have one more gun and another vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you ever tried to fire a glock from within your jacket pocket?  You can do that with a revolver.  

Just imagine it is a fall day during an TEOTWAWKI situation.  All supply trucks have stopped running for six weeks, the country is in chaos as rogue groups have robbed and hoarded any and all supplies.  You are going into a rogue compound to barter some silver for supplies.  The deal goes sour and the shady shop keeper pulls his gun on you and demands you hand over the silver, or he will kill you.  You just happen to have a revolver in your coat pocket where your hand already is.  You fire two shots through your jacket and the encounter is over.

Three days later you are in your sleeping bag getting some rest and one of the shop keepers buddies has tracked you down at 3AM and busts into your tent.  You are caught off guard and your primary pistol is three feet away, but you did manage to put your revolver in your bag when you went to sleep.  You squeeze off four shots through the bag and end the situation.

Later in the week you are driving out to get further away from the cities and their chaos.  You happen to pick up a lady who is hitch hiking along the road.  Five miles down the road a group if vigilante thugs starts to open fire on you.  Your car is disabled and you have to flee.  You hand your backup revolver to the lady and tell her to run.  She won't need any instructions on it's operation.

I have several 9mm autos.  I carry a 9mm as my EDC CCW.  But if the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, I would also stuff my S&W 66 into my pack.  A revolver has many good features and makes a great secondary weapon (if not a good primary).

If you need a pocket revolver to get out of those situations then your a idiot. You shouldnt be in them in the first place

alone to barter, sleeping in a tent w/o security.and picking up hitchickers-you wont last long

<sigh>

It was a fictional example.......sheesh!  

Ok, is this better?

Quoted:

You went to barter, and ten well armed friends went with you, but the traders would only let you in unarmed.  After you were searched, a buddy slipped you a revolver to stick in your coat pocket. You were not thrilled about going in alone, but the marauders had several .50 cal truck mounted weapons now pointing at your group, so disagreeing was pointless.  At least you had the comfort of your hand now gripping a .357 and no one knew.

The point is, have you ever shot an auto from a coat pocket, in a bag, under a pillow, in a pack, from a fanny pack?  Odds are far better it will jam.  Yes it is the extreme, but in an TEOTWAWKI situation, you have no idea what the extreme will need to be, nor what risks or situations you may need to take to survive.  Having a wheel gun as a secondary or alternative may be beneficial.

Look at what happened in the Civil War.  States seceded from the union over slavery.  With the way politics is going in DC and the states reaffirming their sovereignty, an TEOTWAWKI situation could easily happen.  State legislatures are voicing to DC that the 2nd Amendment is absolute and God given.  State governors are telling DC that the states have control of the state national guard units and not DC.  Even right now Feinstien is waiting in the background for the right moment to push more gun control, even though the Supreme Court has ruled in the favor of an individual.

Look at what happened to Rome when their britches got to big.

But as I digress, the idea is that we have no idea what tomorrow will bring.  Nor do we have the slightest clue as to what situations we may find ourselves in.   I have 9mm pistols, a .357 revolver, an AR15, a shotgun, a 22lr, a 9mm carbine and a .30-.30.  It is enough variety that "should" get me by for just about anything.  it can't hurt to keep at least one revolver in your line up.

If I had to hoof it, I'd take the AR, my XD9, and still stuff the .357 in my pack.

I am not anti revolver, but you mean I cannot shoot my xd45 with a 4inch barrel from my pocket without it jamming. Or from a pillow case.
what does any of the items you shoot it from have to do with it jamming.  Itsn't it a internal malfunction.
I like my 13+1 and I would sleep with it cocked. If I am in that situation, but I would sleep sitting against a tree, with shit stuffed in my sleeping bag.   But since 70pct of us snore to a certain degree, we are all fucked if we have no watch looking out for us.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Flame? Sounds like a very wise move if you ask me.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I have been in and out of Glocks ever since they hit the American market. Several times I have divested myself of all my Glocks in favor of other pistols new on the scene, and always, always come back around to all Glock pistols. This is the last time, I swear it. Long live the G30SF and G27.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok on a more realistic note and in keeping with the OP,
IM me with what you have to trade (if your wanting to trade).
My brother has several 19's he picked up some used some new in the box.
He wans a few god revos to round out his collection. I can put you two in touch.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You will miss them greatly, but in practical terms you will be better served with the G17's or 19's.

Hit up OMB Express Police Supply for parts... you can replace virtually everything but the barrel, slide, and frame for like $50.  If you get a spare extractor, 4 striker springs, and 4 recoil spring assemblies per pistol, you should be pretty much good to go for the rest of your life.  

Get a Glock armorers tool from somewhere, too - they're like $4 and let you completely break it down in no time flat.  Take a look at LoneWolf Distributors, Glockmeister, and Ghost Inc if OMB doesn't have the tool.

Avoid the temptation to screw with the Glocks, beyond getting some metal sights.... this is where you will miss other pistols, in the customization department.

Saving at least one snubbie revolver for pocket use and the ability to shoot .357 and .38 is not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I love your plan.  I'm currently in the process of standardizing to 9mm and 45 in pistol ammo.  My handguns of choice are G17, G19, G26 (one of these) and a G21SF.  The only revolver I'm keeping is a S&W 442, cuz there is the one area where a small revolver beats a small semi-auto.  Its when you have the need for a pocket gun that you can shove in your front jeans pocket or carry in a coat pocket and know it won't jam if shot from the pocket.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<sigh>

It was a fictional example.......sheesh!  

Ok, is this better?

Quoted:

You went to barter, and ten well armed friends went with you, but the traders would only let you in unarmed.  After you were searched, a buddy slipped you a revolver to stick in your coat pocket. You were not thrilled about going in alone, but the marauders had several .50 cal truck mounted weapons now pointing at your group, so disagreeing was pointless.  At least you had the comfort of your hand now gripping a .357 and no one knew.

The point is, have you ever shot an auto from a coat pocket, in a bag, under a pillow, in a pack, from a fanny pack?  Odds are far better it will jam.  Yes it is the extreme, but in an TEOTWAWKI situation, you have no idea what the extreme will need to be, nor what risks or situations you may need to take to survive.  Having a wheel gun as a secondary or alternative may be beneficial.

Look at what happened in the Civil War.  States seceded from the union over slavery.  With the way politics is going in DC and the states reaffirming their sovereignty, an TEOTWAWKI situation could easily happen.  State legislatures are voicing to DC that the 2nd Amendment is absolute and God given.  State governors are telling DC that the states have control of the state national guard units and not DC.  Even right now Feinstien is waiting in the background for the right moment to push more gun control, even though the Supreme Court has ruled in the favor of an individual.

Look at what happened to Rome when their britches got to big.

But as I digress, the idea is that we have no idea what tomorrow will bring.  Nor do we have the slightest clue as to what situations we may find ourselves in.   I have 9mm pistols, a .357 revolver, an AR15, a shotgun, a 22lr, a 9mm carbine and a .30-.30.  It is enough variety that "should" get me by for just about anything.  it can't hurt to keep at least one revolver in your line up.

If I had to hoof it, I'd take the AR, my XD9, and still stuff the .357 in my pack.

I am not anti revolver, but you mean I cannot shoot my xd45 with a 4inch barrel from my pocket without it jamming. Or from a pillow case.
what does any of the items you shoot it from have to do with it jamming.  Itsn't it a internal malfunction.
I like my 13+1 and I would sleep with it cocked. If I am in that situation, but I would sleep sitting against a tree, with shit stuffed in my sleeping bag.   But since 70pct of us snore to a certain degree, we are all fucked if we have no watch looking out for us.

You got it.  I've been in several training classes where we've live fired from inside a coat pocket.  The brass has little room to eject and the odds of it snagging the lining of your jacket pocket are really high with an auto.  The first round may go off fine, but once you try to then pull it out, it may be stove piped, or stuck on the fabric.  A revolver will not do that.  First shot is over and you can almost always pull it out for a follow up and it is ready with out fail.

Not that one would fire from a jacket pocket often, but if EXTREME covert situations were required a good revolver is hard to beat.  You can't be more ready in an inconspicuous manner than already having your hand on a concealed gun pointed at your target and they don't even know it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to the store later in the week to add another Glock to my collection, but I'd NEVER sell my wheelgun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't sell the revolver (or any gun for that matter ).  Instead check out Summit Gun Broker or some other online retailer of police trade in glocks.

Thanks for posting that link. I had been thinking of a Glock for a SHTF gun and this guy's prices on the Glock 22 are outstanding.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not ment as a flame, so please dont take it as one.
Any semi auto (Glock included) can be "re-cocked"  one handed. Please take some advanced combat hand gun/rifle classes. In the magpul dynamics class you will learn how to operate a pistol, as well as a carbine "one handed". Training in malfunction clearing and rechargeing that weapon, strong and weak side,one handed (sorry Criss for saying weak side, I know but others here do not, LOL)
To those that cary regulary you should be training on this and other drills. if you get shot hurt or incompasatated to some degree you need to know this to survive.
Your belt, boot heel, bumper, etc. all act as a "second" hand and your sights the cocking fulcrum... take classes and train, train , train...Its not easy but thats why you train.

To the OP save up and buy the 17 and keep at least one 357/38 and one pocket revolver to round out your tool box.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#29]
G19 would be better.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#30]
For those that have a hard time figuring out how to cock an auto pistol with one hand: You must have a hell of a time reloading a revolver one handed if you can't rack a slide with your boot heel, or belt.

To the OP: Wich do you shoot better? If you're looking for a standard inventoryt for handouts then it's not as important. But if it is gonna be your primary carry gun and you shoot a wheel gun better, then stick with that if  you shoot a Glock better then make the switch. For a genrall hand out weapon I'd prefer the Glock. They are easier to train someone how to run. By run I mean shoot relaod, clear etc.. Revolvers take more practice to reload and clear a jamed cylinder. As far as reliability I would say the Glock, M&P, H&K, Sig, Beretta, etc. are all close to if not more reliable than the average revolver, left unmodded with factory mags.

Again if this is for hand outs. Take most any new shooter teach them the basics and see wich they shoot better. The Glock will likely be easier for them to master the trigger and reloads. Either platform will be just as easy to shoot if you hand ity to someone loaded, neither has a safety. What else do they need to know other than line up the sights and press if this truely is a handing a gun to someone to defend themselves RFN? However thier need to reload will come sooner with a revolver.

Without getting into how much more fine motor skill is required to reload a revolver:
Steps to reloading a Glock:

1. Eject magazine.
2. Insert new magazine.
3. Release slide.

Steps to reloading a revolver:

1. Press cylinder release.
2. Swing cylinder open and hold open.
3. Eject brass.
4. Insert speed loader.
5. Release rounds from speed loader.
6. Close cylinder.

All that being said it's hard to beat a revolver for a pocket gun. It is however at a disadvantage as a primary handgun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would keep at least one 357 and a 44 or a 45 colt around.
You may get a box of ammo that needs a gun.
The glock is a good gun but one or two in 40 s&w plus a9mm barrel is plenty.

+1 If you have a redundant 38 or 357 it could be used as trading fodder toward a Glock 9mm.  (The Glock 34 is the greatest Glock of all time) I'd keep a 357 around even if I wasn't going to stock ammo just because it is popular and if you ran across some 38 special or 357 ammo in a time of need you could make use of it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top