Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2009 12:42:47 PM EDT
im debating getting a M1, and am trying to think of when i would really use it, and for what purposes i would use it for. i could use the M1 for hunting, both now, and if SHTF. but outside of that, i dont see using it that much. i also dont see it being that great as a fighting rifle, compared to what is out there today. but im sure someone will come along to prove me wrong.

on the other hand, i could go with an m1a. its a better fighting rifle, and outside of the big bears, it will do most everything the garand could. it is also 3x the cost though.

so, garand owners, is it going with you if SHTF?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
umm probably not, mostly because garands are too picky about ammo
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Garand but if the SHTF the weapon for me is a FAL.

Edit: There is a damn fine reason to add a Garand to your gear. That is if you can find and afford a decent quantity of AP ammo. But still it is of verry limited usefulness.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Interesting topic and timing.

I have the exact same question and an opportunity to trade away my nice Garand that I have never shot or loaded for a nice AR.

Seems that my FAL w/ 7.62x51 and / or my .308 bolt gun with FGMM will do just about anything the M1 Garand will do.

What can the mighty Garand do that either the FAL with mil-surp or the 700 w/ FGMM cannot do?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Most likely not. Don't get me wrong it is a good weapon and better than many in a SHTF scenario, just better ones to pick from.

Though it could be given out as a weapon to those in your party if they are weaponless. I'm sure there might be some training issues with it for the novice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the 16 inch Bayonet for mine. A copy by IMA. It is my go to gun.

8 rds of 30-06 goodness.

Lightning reloads. Don't even try to tell me that you reload an AR as fast. It ejects the empty clip and sends the bolt home for you.

Make you some dummys and practice until it is muscle memory city.

A buttstroke from this beast will cleave a skull open.

Anything big enough to die within 600 yards is mine.

It turns cover into concealment.

Yes it does announce that it needs fed. I'd bet the MZB's wouldn't know what PIIIIING meant.

Again I practice reloads so even if they feel that Ping means advance it would be very bad for their health records.

Very low prone position.

Ammo from CMP is AVAILIBLE and cheap enough.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#6]
This doesn't exactly fit in with your question, but why not.

I just expanded my armory with an M1A, mainly because my other standardized calibers I felt were somewhat lacking. I have my ar-15 and SKS, but I was looking for a little more range. I'm the kind of person that likes to keep it simple, so up until now, I only worried about .223 and .45, and 7.62x39 was more of a 'want for fun' than a 'need to have on hand'. I chose a .308 just because its readily available, and I chose the m1a over the other .308 semi's based on performance and reliability. Somewhere down the line I will get a bolt .308 as well, and by then I should have more .308 stored.

It all depends on what you see yourself using it for, and if you are like me and would make .30-06 a caliber that you have multiple platforms using. I don't see the Garand as a niche rifle or caliber, so as long as it works for your needs and you get comfortable with it, it should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have plenty of surplus M2 ball, and if that runs out, (not likely), an adjustable gas plug solves the whole using commercial ammo problem.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends. If I have to move on foot I would like something lighter. If I am defending my home I like the power of the Garand. Either way it is a great rifle and a piece of history. For the price of a M1A you could get a Garand and a couple thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#9]
If I was starting from scratch and wasn't on a hyper-tight budget, I wouldn't bother with one aside from the fun and heritage factors. That and CMP M2 is going for about $.32/rd these days. If you weren't concerned about cost, you could do just as well (IMO) with a decent-quality .308 or even a 6.8 upper for your AR, especially with optics on either.

That being said, I got my 50s-vintage Garand for $500 from a friend, I knew first-hand that it was - in my piss-poor, untrained hands - a 2-3MOA rifle and I already had two .30-06 bolt guns for ammo commonality. I place a monthly, rotating order from the CMP and have amassed a good stock of M2 ball, plus I bought a Schuster adjustable plug and tuned it to Remington Core-Lokt 165gr .30-06, which (when any ammo can be found) is pretty commonly stocked. I don't plan on seeing how many gunfights I can survive so Plan A is avoiding trouble. However, I wouldn't feel poorly armed behind decent cover with an M1 and a shit-ton of ball ammo in clips.

Plus I wouldn't have to break cover to skewer someone with my bayonet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If that is the only gun I got, yes. But no. Way too heavy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#11]
But Gunny had on in Lights Out!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Tanker, Arlington Ord, in 30.06. Put a Reese Surplus BM59 Nigerian pistol grip stock on it. It throws to the shoulder and points like no other rifle I have.  Runs like a swiss watch.

With AP 30-06, it will surely be one a few I grab.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#13]
On foot It stays behind.  It is too heavy, and the ammo is also.  I have 5 little ones, two of which will need carried for any distance if we are on foot.  My lightweight AR (suppressed) will be my choice, along with 4 extra mags.

In a vehicle, It would go along, just like all the rest.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#14]
If you already have one, otherwise AR10, FAL, PTR91, etc
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sure it is, and for those who say they are picky get an adjustable gas nut.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

8 rds of 30-06 goodness.

Lightning reloads. Don't even try to tell me that you reload an AR as fast. It ejects the empty clip and sends the bolt home for you.

Yes it does announce that it needs fed. I'd bet the MZB's wouldn't know what PIIIIING meant.

Again I practice reloads so even if they feel that Ping means advance it would be very bad for their health records.

Very low prone position.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Love my Garand. But I love it more for the nostalgia and history of what it means. Sure it can be employed as a battle rifle or even for hunting... but there are much better options for both. If you get one (and I hope you do) do it for its own intrinsic value. If you're really looking for a utilitarian rifle, I'd recommend something else.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
But Gunny had one in Lights Out!!!

This!!!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
<snip>
Plus I wouldn't have to break cover to skewer someone with my bayonet.

Katrina style trouble the bayonet is just for the physiological value at the neighborhood roadblock. I have no use for it in a fire fight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But Gunny had one in Lights Out!!!

This!!!  

Thats the first thing that came to mind when i read this.

IMO.. a person could do a lot better for a SHTF weapon. Capacity/length/weight/ammo availability.. etc..

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Interesting topic and timing.

What can the mighty Garand do that either the FAL with mil-surp or the 700 w/ FGMM cannot do?

You and it can get yourself about eight inched closer to the ground.

While there is prescribed ammo for the Garand, it'll eat damn near any 30'06 round you can find....may not like it, probably hard on the op-rod, but when you need ammo it can be found.

BTW: I own and shoot the hell out both a FAL(s) and a Remington 40X  (had to show down on the FGMM, too expensive!)  

If one rifle fit the bill for everything, we'd have nothing to talk about, since there isn't one and we're never completely happy about our choices it's best to train with different options: Clearing a building or firing from a vehicle: M4, From a hill top bunker: Garand, for movement over open areas or needing to lay down some serious suppressive fire: the FAL or M1A, Around the house: 12gauge.....just got to use the best choice for the situation at hand.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#22]
There has been a lot of interest in this over the past couple months. Who cares about SHTF,  get an M1 because from the CMP it is one of the best values out there and the rifle is an important piece of our history. Get the adjustable gas plug if you are worried about ammunition.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

8 rds of 30-06 goodness.

Very low prone position.

I can't say any of that better than he did.

Quoted: ..... Who cares about SHTF,  get an M1 because from the CMP it is one of the best values out there and the rifle is an important piece of our history......

This.

Bottom line is that while I know many, many people who've regretted buying their AR/AK/whatever, I've NEVER met someone who regretted buying a CMP Garand.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Used mine deer hunting a few years back. Yes it got heavy after tracking/ stalking a few miles (w/o a sling)...but when the buck jumped, it was damned quick to shoulder and fire.
.30-06 is a powerful round
Quick reloads
Enblocs can be wedge mounted on the sling for quick acces to reload
As stated before...a but strike from it WILL leave a lasting impression
.30-06 is readily available

The KEWL factor is through the roof

Am I taking mine with me...uh, no duh.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, It would be with me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#27]
You can get a Garand from the CMP for cheaper than you can get an M1A or other commercial M14, that's true, but the M14 design is an improvement on the Garand. Today there is a good aftermarket for them too with mounts and customizing parts to be had from companies like Sadlak and Smith Enterprise to name a couple. You can have a shorter, lighter, magazine fed rifle in a still commonly used military caliber that will run lots of commercial .308 also. It's one of the best fighting rifle's ever invented I feel and I love the ergo's and handling myself, as many do. There's a reason it's such a popular rifle regardless of what any haters may look to portray. Like any firearm it fits the person, and if it fits you, it's an excellent rifle system.
Don't get me wrong though, the Garand is a fine rifle and still very capable in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.

SmithE

Sadlak
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought a like new Springfield National Match Ultra Match. i recently listed it locally in the classifieds because I have no plan on it comming with me and Ive yet had the time to shoot it. Im actually headding to PA tomorrow and bringing it with just to run some rounds thru it after I dont remember how long owning it.

I plan on replacing it with either a M1a1 squad carbine or ana 18 in FN fal type battle rifle. If its going to be that heavy its going to be a volume / support rifle
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The biggest laugh I have about the Garand being heavy is from the Ar guys.

They put 10lbs of optics, grips and lights on them and then  say their AR15 is lighter than a Garand......lol..Sorry ...I ain't drinking that KOOLAID.

Those Ar15's are just as heavy if not more than an M1.

Tell me I am wrong gear queers.

Your definatly wrong .....

My garand empty is heavier then my Bushy Predator with a scope , bipods , sling and a mag in it. Its WAY heavier then my smith and wesson M&P- OR15 with its flip up iron sights....  The best part is i have no specific aligence to my AR's and feel in no way they are superior to a garand.. they just exsist in the niche I bought them for.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I bought a like new Springfield National Match Ultra Match. i recently listed it locally in the classifieds because I have no plan on it comming with me and Ive yet had the time to shoot it. Im actually headding to PA tomorrow and bringing it with just to run some rounds thru it after I dont remember how long owning it.

I plan on replacing it with either a M1a1 squad carbine or ana 18 in FN fal type battle rifle. If its going to be that heavy its going to be a volume / support rifle

Sad you've never shot it, but it will be worth more money unshot. Rifles do get heavier when you put them in heavy match stocks with heavy match barrels. Just the same I don't find the NM's so heavy they can't be carried. There's an excellent rifle and light compared to carrying a SAW or M240 which I've carried both at times. If you need and/or want a lighter M14/M1A rifle though, the Scout with it's 18 1/2 inch, thinner, usgi contour barrel is it. My bare bones (no optics and mount) Smith hooded GLFS/DC Vortex setup, Scout above in the usgi fiberglass is about 9 lbs.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Depends on where you live.  In GA, gun laws don't restrict my owning a rifle with a pistol grip, detachable magazine (with >10 round capacity), or other 'evil' features.  If I lived in a state that didn't permit EBR's, then a Garand would be on my short list of must-have rifles.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Much of the complaints of weight have alot to do with not carrying it everyday. When I carried my M60, I would do the manual of arms and other neat lil things with it. Used to flip the koreans minds. You get used to the weight of whatever you carry when you train with it. But yes mine will go with me. the m4 for the wife, the sks for the daughter, and the M1 for me, also ill throw the M1A in the truck, or keep it here as I bug in. Im also 6'2" and 275 lbs, so the smaller guns just dont feel right, like the AK I love its simplicity and toughness but its to small for me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Get off my lawn
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Nope.
1) Not enough experience with the Garand.
2) Picky on ammo
3) Low capacity
4) Don't like clip
5) Not tactical enough.

In fact in a SHTF scenario, if I had to choose between, I would take an M-1 Carbine over a Garand. Higher capacity, can carry more ammo, quicker reloads, handier, nore accesories to make a Carbine more tactical.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#35]
YES my $400 CMP Garand with a case of Danish ammo that cost me 27 cents a round in clips will be with me. If one needs to stop a car or truck full of bad guys the Garand will have the job done while the AR is still trying.

Even with the higher prices today the CMP Garands and ammo are good firepower for dollars spent. If the bad days never happen you still have a great piece of history with a rising value.

Red
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#36]
YES! but mainly becuase its my only rifle. Yet I dont feel out gunned by any means.  It will put the hurt on, and is fast to reload. Plus you never have to buy magazines .  With that said, I leave in CA so my options for assault rifles are limited.  Also my budget was tight, so it was a no brainier to go with the Garand.  Just stock up on M2 ball from the CMP.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes in BOV and BOL.

No if need to B O on foot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:08:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes because real AP ammo is readily available in 30/06 unlike .308 and .223.  The only round that beats 30/06 AP for penetration that civies can get is .50 BMG.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Garand if bugging in. AR if bugging out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:54:02 AM EDT
[#40]
for an individual fighter who –– in general –– doesn't need large mags for laying down supressive fire, the grand is still a great battle rifle. I used one for many years as my primary battle rifle until my eyesight degraded due to age and I decided that a rifle that could hangle aimpoints and ACOGS would be better.

The garand has two key factors that may it very useful in todays market and legal environment. First, its fairly low cost makes it a great value (you can obtain a solid 1950s vintage garand with little use from the CMP for $600); I would much rather have a garand than a mini14 or AK47. Second, the garand has one of hte best PC/effectiveness ratios; there are many states where this is the best battle rifle you can own. Any even for those living in free states, the Feds probably will be eventually ban lots of other stuff while the garand is the last solid semi-auto battle rifle that you will be able to own. This also makes it an ideal travel rifle to many locations and it can disassemble into pieces that will fit into a large locked suitcase.

For these reasons, I think everyone who has some spare cash should own a garand.

ps - the prices are not going down so they make good investments as well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#41]

Yeah, the Garand is a piece of junk. I still don't know how they were able to win WWII with it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, the Garand is a piece of junk. I still don't know how they were able to win WWII with it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

8 rds of 30-06 goodness.

Lightning reloads. [violet]Don't even try to tell me that you reload an AR as fast. [/violet]It ejects the empty clip and sends the bolt home for you.

Very low prone position.

You mean 4 9rnd clips to equal one AR 30rnd Pmag. Or 3 clips to one 20rnd DPMS .308.
That is more like slow as molasses then your lightning crap.

Got rid of my M1 long time ago. Heavy rifle, heavy ammo and not as accurate as AR15 or AR10.
Sure do wish I would have kept it just to have.

Yes you can use it like a baseball bat on people or use a pistol or bayonet on AR.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Most definitely as well as my m1a's Fn Fals Ar's and mini 14's Cause I don't own any commie ....stuff.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You can barely find ammo now.  Where do you think you're going to be finding it if SHTF?

Besides, just buy an adustable gas plug, and you're Garand can shoot just about any commercial load below 180 grains.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Some of you guys might remember in the 80's when the "wonder 9's" were all the rage, but too many found the 9mm to be lacking the horsepower Americans demand, they tried and tried to get more power and that's when the 10mm came along then S&W had the idea to de-tune it for a balance between more power and higher capacity, all the time poo-pooing the venerable 1911 and it tried and true cartridge the .45acp  Today the 1911 is THE most popular handgun in the US with the classic .45 chambering.
Why this statement and what does it have to do with SHTF weapons selection?

did you think about it?

Have the answer?

I thought so.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can barely find ammo now.  Where do you think you're going to be finding it if SHTF?

Besides, just buy an adustable gas plug, and you're Garand can shoot just about any commercial load below 180 grains.

SHTF = Everything will be hard to find. 30-06 can be found ANYWHERE ammo is sold. Not to mention all the one hunting gun hunters that have a box or two at their home.

You will only be able to carry so much of any ammo if you are mobile during a SHTF event. The smart money is on calibers that are easily scavenged. You know the basics, 9MM-.22-12ga.,-30-06,30-30. Hell even my beloved .223 is going to be hard to find during SHTF.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Probably not, the difficulty of mounting optics is the biggest drawback IMHO.

I don't think it is especially heavy, I like the cartridge, I can shoot commercial ammo with my adjustable gas plug and I think the clips work well with a little practice.  It is well made, reliable, accurate and inexpensive.

I tried putting optics on a forward mount and it really just ruined the balance of the rifle.  I didn't try a micro Aimpoint though, which would probably be close to ideal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Love my Garand. But I love it more for the nostalgia and history of what it means. Sure it can be employed as a battle rifle or even for hunting... but there are much better options for both. If you get one (and I hope you do) do it for its own intrinsic value. If you're really looking for a utilitarian rifle, I'd recommend something else.

This.  It is a piece of history and an amazing battle rifle, but I think there are better choices.  Besides if I'm in the move, I have MUCH lighter choices.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

^ This. They don't do all that well with heavier loads.

And the heavy ammo thing sucks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top