Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 4:17:08 PM EDT
A tricky challenge, I know.

everytime I look at the suckers getting gasoline in water jugs, milk jugs or being stranded on a packed highway... OUT OF GAS.

Now, I don't plan on using my car for most BOB situations... the versatility of a 4wd pickup is hard to deny in a situation that requires immediate departure.  However, 30+ MPG is hard to deny...

So, how do I store an extra 7 or 8 gallons of fuel in a car most likely in the trunk?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
NOT..Confined in the trunk..trunks get hot , gas expands , fumes and possible fire hazard . Not really a good idea I'm thinking..
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
small boat gas tank

you could add the appropriate plumbing to siphon into the tank of your car

just one idea
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
BMW makes a "donut" fuel can that fits in the spare tire location in the bottom of the trunk.

At least they did for E30s but it was a lot more common in Germany
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
NOT..Confined in the trunk..trunks get hot , gas expands , fumes and possible fire hazard . Not really a good idea I'm thinking..

Well you got another idea?

Granted I would not have a spare gas can in the trunk of a car 27/7, but for a one time evacuation the benefits may override the risk.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
would you consider a fuel trailer? I 'have seen those before for commerical use. A used one isn't that expensive.
I saw one on Craigslist that was 300 gallons - you could travel anywhere with it, and when you get there, still have fuel for camping, etc.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
2" receiver hitch w/ a small rack like you see on some PU's. Might need to fabricate one for the size of the car but ...........
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Small trailer, there were a couple made here.  You can hang a couple of gas cans on it, lots safer. Also you can keep it partially loaded, at least the heavy things.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Agreed.  I would not store extra gasoline in a car on any kind of regular basis because of the fire hazard.  If it were diesel I would obviously be less concerned.  The dedicated gasoline trailer ideas are interesting.  Have you thought of mounting 5 gal metal jerry cans on the outside of the car?  That is usually a practical option only in a Jeep/truck, but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The small marine fuel tank is one I have looked at, hoped someone had tried this before me...

I hadn't yet worked out in my head a way to get the fuel to the tank, but a siphon hose is a good one.

Of course I am concerned with fumes in an enclosed space... thats why I'm asking and not just lugging a jerry can in the trunk!

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
buy a bigger tank, the good ones 300-500, not stopiing for gas priceless
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Almost ever race car in the country has a fuel tank in the trunk.

In my Malibu I have an Aluminum fuel cell which is vented outside the trunk with whats called a roll over vent. In a nutshell the vent is a piece of aluminum tubing with a bulk head type fitting attaching it to the fuel cell ( which has a sealed and latched cap)  then vent is then run thru the trunk floor to the outside of the car.....

I personally would NOT do this in a daily driver as it will take up alot of trunk space.

I would personally go with somthing like this and use Jerry cans or somthing  Hitch Haul

What type of vehical do you drive? Ive seen extended range fuel tanks put in trucks and SUVs that haul trailers and want a certain range  out of them

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Auxilary tanks by Downey

A bit expensive; but, perhaps the safest. I do not have one yet; but, I've certainly been tempted. It's the most likely to be with you and possibly filled when you need it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The small marine fuel tank is one I have looked at, hoped someone had tried this before me...

I hadn't yet worked out in my head a way to get the fuel to the tank, but a siphon hose is a good one.

Of course I am concerned with fumes in an enclosed space... thats why I'm asking and not just lugging a jerry can in the trunk!

In the boating dept of Academy they have a variety of quick connect fittings to fit the different brands of boat motors.  Look a t the types and pick you favorite.  Get enough male and female fittings to do your plumbing.  Get a 12V electric fuel pump.  Plumb the fuel pump so that you can pump from the marine tank into the main tank of your car via the regular gas cap.  You will need enough hose to reach your gas cap and enough wire to reach the cigarette lighter socket.

I know a guy that used to buy 2 weeks worth of gas at a time and haul it home in rubbermade (Bought at WalMart back in the day) gas cans in the back of a 2 door blazer.  Those blitz type cans did not seal, to deal with the fumes just vent the blazer by cracking the windows and the back hatch.  Hint: It would be unwise to become involved in an accident with 35 gallons of gas in the back seat

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.

You can't, really.  You will blow yourself up.

That said, there are some super high quality, crush and vaporproof fuel cans (typically 1-2 gallons), like the BMW one mentioned above.  My dad kept one in the front 'boot' of his sports car.  Back in the 1980's, they were $100 gas cans.  I'd use one of them, if I was carrying gas inside.  But I wouldn't personally.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 2:27:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I drove old VWs for years and I always kept a gas can in their trunk since some didn't have gas gauges and I was always running out of gas. Always forgot which way to have the reserve handle. I just used one of those old Safety Stainless steel gas cans or just a plain round steel can. Think they held like 2 1/2 gal. Never had any problems and with these VWs up front trunks you have all the dash electricals right there.
Found a neat little round gas can once in a junk yard Volvo that mounted in the trunk and I put it in the cap covered bed of an 85 Toyota truck I drove for years.
I don't carry any gas with me right now but am thinking maybe I should get another one of those little safety cans I see all the time at the flea market and start. In the small chance I have to "Bug Out" I would just put a couple old GI gas cans in the trunk and not worry about it.
 Guess I can see how something bad could happen from being in a crash with a gas can in the trunk but you might be in a worse position with a can strapped on the outside where it could be more easly damaged and throw gas all over the car....T.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 4:09:44 AM EDT
[#16]
The best solution is to get a regular 4/6 trailer (about 300 bucks if new) and stack on Scepter MFCs (5 gallons each) so you can remove each to fill it, split it up, etc.  7 fit across the width of the trailer, and you can get 4-5 rows.  Easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top