Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2009 6:20:29 PM EDT
I'm new at prepping and was wondering what everyone thought of storing protein powder for a shtf.  It seems like it would provide a lot of essental nutrients and does not cost too much or take up too much room.  Can anyone think of any potental drawbacks?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
depending on tha fat content, it could go rancid, and once opened, it begins to oxidize, but I keep a good supply on hand and rotate it, so while I don't have any tucked away specifically for shtf, if it hit today, I'd have several jars on hand...
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
depending on tha fat content, it could go rancid, and once opened, it begins to oxidize, but I keep a good supply on hand and rotate it, so while I don't have any tucked away specifically for shtf, if it hit today, I'd have several jars on hand...

Likewise. GNC soy powder.
M
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
i keep some on hand. but yes, rotate as normal
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

M

just a little heads up-   most protein powders come from China nowadays.   Not sure how much i trust them to be unadulterated and human safe.

soy products contain plant hormones that closely mimic some human hormones, and have shown decreased brain size after consistent use.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]
ive tried many protein powders over the years since i work out 4-5 days a week and everyone ive seen do have an expiration date so best to rotate if you wanna go that route
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I got single serving packs of myoplex before ykk, they have been out of date since
2005, I tried one last month, still edible.

I thought they would be good for the bob because of good shelf life and ease of prep
for a guy on the move, but I think tuna in oil combined with pasta would be a higher
concentration of calories for the weight, not as good shelf life but a foil pack of tuna
is cheap enough to rotate.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're going to stock for SHTF, I'd get a "meal replacement" type protein mix.  They have a higher fat content (a little higher) and have more vitamins and amino acids than regular protien powders alone.  Another bonus with these is that most come in individual packages per serving.  I recommend Leanbody brand.

Now, let me say this.  If the S really does HTF and you rely solely on meal replacement mixes, you're going to drop body weight like a MF faster than you think and you'll be in a world of hurt.  These will not sustain you long term IMO. There's just not enough calories etc. if you're doing alot of physical labor.

I think that a "meal replacement" mix would be a great add on to stocking other items.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#8]
FYI for any of my fellow weightlifters or anyone who wants to stock supplements for SHTF, www.overstockedsupplements.com has a lot of good deals on name brand stuff. It's like a Steep and Cheap for nutrition supplements. Right now you can get 10lbs. of Prolab mass gainer for 45 bucks. Just make sure you keep your supplements rotated like everything else in your pantry, as they do expire.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M

just a little heads up-   most protein powders come from China nowadays.   Not sure how much i trust them to be unadulterated and human safe.

soy products contain plant hormones that closely mimic some human hormones, and have shown decreased brain size after consistent use.

I buy Optimum Nutrition whey.  It has a shelf life of two years.  it is made in the USA.

That being said if you are not used to protein powder start taking it slowly.  I take it every day because I work out.  But it will mess your stomach up if you take to much at one time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top