Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/25/2009 9:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FordGuy]
EDIT as of March21, 2010 - I think these are the last batch I will plant for a few years.  This makes somewhere approaching 400 trees overall.  

YOU "so what are you going to do with those apples?

ME  "I intend to make a pie."

Sorry, no pics...

I was out there friday evening opening my delivery from Stark brothers, counting trees, looking at the sizes or "caliper" of the trees as they were grouped together by size.

They all looked very healthy, and were "Campbell Red Delicious" grafted onto a M7 rootstock.

I had spent much time getting the rows ready, installing irrigation pipe, plowing up the rows, figuring how many trees would fit in each zone, etc.

I have 50 "Coe Fuji" trees, also on M7 rootstock, coming next month.

Not sure how this can help anyone, but if you guys have questions hit me...

EDIT: yall know I am a soldier: I also talked two of my buddies, also soldiers, into planting apple trees - one got 12 trees, the other got 6.  Consider the message it sends when we soldiers begin to prepare for hard times...

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#1]
How long do you figure before they'll bear fruit?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By FordGuy:
Sorry, no pics...

I was out there friday evening opening my delivery from Stark brothers, counting trees, looking at the sizes or "caliper" of the trees as they were grouped together by size.

They all looked very healthy, and were "Campbell Red Delicious" grafted onto a M7 rootstock.

I had spent much time getting the rows ready, installing irrigation pipe, plowing up the rows, figuring how many trees would fit in each zone, etc.

Ford, what did you get for the pollinator.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been thinking about this and have a few questions:

Do you have any nut trees planted?
How far apart do you need to put the apple trees?
How do you water them?  (i.e. sprinklers, soakers, or something else?)
Since you a have this many trees, I assume you're in a rural location - Do you have a fence around the entire area to keep deer and other things out?
Have you planted all this in a level area or can it be done on a mild slope?
You mentioned zones, are you talking about watering zone or are you grouping similar trees together?

Thanks for sharing.

R.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Using the money from all of Pelosi's carbon offsets?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Good job Johnny!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By freemanesq:
I've been thinking about this and have a few questions:

Do you have any nut trees planted?
How far apart do you need to put the apple trees?
How do you water them?  (i.e. sprinklers, soakers, or something else?)
Since you a have this many trees, I assume you're in a rural location - Do you have a fence around the entire area to keep deer and other things out?
Have you planted all this in a level area or can it be done on a mild slope?
You mentioned zones, are you talking about watering zone or are you grouping similar trees together?

Thanks for sharing.

R.

I have about 10 pecans that are young, planted about 3 years ago.  I will be long dead before they produce anything of worth.

I have 50 chestnut trees ("Colossal" variety) coming next week.  They will produce for me in 7-12 years.

how far apart: depends on rootstock.  since mine are on M7, 12 feet is ok.  I chose 10 feet, with 20 feet between rows so I can drive pickup down the the rows.

I spent the fall installing around 3000 feet of underground main and sub-main, to supply water to surface "black line" dripline.  

The first orchard (140 trees) has deer fence all around.  This one will also have 6-7 foot fence...that's the only thing that worked for me.

Slope or flat, the apples don't care.  If slope is steep, "boomerang" dirt under the lower side to accumulate moisture in that dirt, and prevent erosion.

My first orchard was a test orchard to see what grew best in zone 7b of south carolina.  Campbell Red Delicious was the most "disease free."  My fuji's also surprisingly remained free of disease.  

When planting an orchard in the south, we don't have the luxury of planting just the ones we like - rather we have to focus on disease resistance first, among those that have market potential.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Subconscious:
How long do you figure before they'll bear fruit?

unlike grapes, which bear on that year's growth, apples bear on 2 year old wood, or wood on second leaf.  The fruit is produced on "fruit spurs" as opposed to vegetative spurs whihc produce leaves and shoots.

Since these are on m7 rootstock, I expect a few apples after 2 years growth.  If they were on say, M111 which is a popular rootstock, it may be 5 or 6 years before I see any production.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rusteerooster:
Sorry, no pics...

Ford, what did you get for the pollinator.

I also have granny smiths in the orchard next to it, that is a few years old.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:22:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FordGuy] [#10]
Originally Posted By Ares337:
Using the money from all of Pelosi's carbon offsets?

no, using the money everyone else pumps into a dying stock market.  You guys have shares of "Apple."  I have apples.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ferfal308] [#11]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:31:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FordGuy] [#12]
Originally Posted By ferfal308:
Sorry, no pics...

Dude... go and take some pics.
I want to see those trees.

Are you using thorny bush to create some sort of perimeter against animals/thieves?

FerFAL

Ferdinand, the trees are delivered as whips, or branched whips, meaning they may be 6 feet tall, but their real value is in a developed root system.  They actually get snipped off at "belt buckle" height after planting, this is done to put the tree on a diet so it can conserve energy the first year, and so it can re-develop those tiny microfiliment root hairs that were broken when it was pulled up to be shipped to me.  I mean to spend the first year and a half on any new apple tree just growing a strong root system.  In fact, if I see blooms next year, their first year, I will pinch them off so the tree's energy can be totaly devoted to producing a root system that will last longer than I am alive.

I have a large property - my perimeter is a road I built with a bulldozer.  I am always thinking of the land in terms of defendability.  I have to drive to my nearest neighbor, which is good and bad, for obvious reasons.  This rules out any kind of fence that would keep 2 footed animals out.  My home is just a litle farmhouse, and does not suggest wealth or anything worth taking.  

I have a short fuse when it comes to strangers.  Intruders have only been a problem once.  No security light, as around here, I "own the night" so to speak.    I'm sure intruders will be a problem in the near or distant future, and we prepare for this contingency as a family.  rather judged by 12 than carried by 6, I say.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Fordguy, where did you pick up all the info on apple trees and or fruit trees? Internet or did you find a book or several?
I am ordering my few trees tomorrow along with a couple of grape vines.
Have any suggestions as far as pear trees go?
Thanks, rustee
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:09:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FordGuy] [#14]
Fordguy, where did you pick up all the info on apple trees and or fruit trees? Internet or did you find a book or several?
I am ordering my few trees tomorrow along with a couple of grape vines.
Have any suggestions as far as pear trees go?
Thanks, rustee

I have studied this for years RR.  The (state) clemson extension folks are all but worthless for a variety of reasons, most recently due to money problems in the state.  The internet is the only option now and I think you can get some bad info on the net.

Pear - Asian pear, Shinko variety on Betulafolia rootstock.  Fowler nursery in California is where I got mine.

The blight resistant pears around here are shekel and Keifer.  I don't think either one tastes worth a count.

What kind of grapes? down there where you are, you'd be limited by Pierce's disease to muscadines or maybe Mars.  Did you get them from Ison's nursery?  I like them, but they'd sell you an orange tree and a bananna tree and tell you they both will do well in your zone.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:12:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rusteerooster] [#15]
My Mother did pretty well with concord so I thought about a couple of concord vines.
I have irrigation from the pond so drought isn't a worry.

I am ordering my apple trees from Stark, I was hopeing to get it all at one place.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:47:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BaxterStockman] [#16]
that's great!  I hope you'll humor a few more questions:

1. How old are they when you plant them?

2. How much did you pay per tree/did you get a bulk discount?

3. Do you expect a certain % to not survive or should they all stay alive?

4. Do you sell them, and if so how quickly will you make your money back?

5. Does it matter what time of year you plant them? Seems like they might not like being transplanted in the middle of winter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BaxterStockman:
that's great!  I hope you'll humor a few more questions:

1. How old are they when you plant them?

2. How much did you pay per tree/did you get a bulk discount?

3. Do you expect a certain % to not survive or should they all stay alive?

4. Do you sell them, and if so how quickly will you make your money back?

5. Does it matter what time of year you plant them? Seems like they might not like being transplanted in the middle of winter.

1 they are first year whips, so one year old
2 around 7 bucks a tree - yes, I bought wholesale and got a deep discount
3 if my experience holds true, they will all live
4 sell the trees?  no, once in teh ground, I'm done...do you mean apples?  maybe in 15 years when this country is very different, yea, I'm counting on that.  You don't plant fruit trees for this year's market - you plant for the market 15 years from now.  Roll the dice, take your chances...at least I won't be hungry.
5  you say, "seems like they might not like being transplated in the middle of winter."  

I got a chuckle out of the last one - see, that's the best time to transplatn - when they are dormant.  what they dont' like is being transplanted when they are awake and growing, in spring  when most lowes/home depot buyers are doing their tree buying...this error probably also was the origin of your question about how many will live/die...all mine will live. plant in summer and half might die....

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Granny Smith's make some wicked good pies.

One hundred walnut trees planted along a fenceline or some other unuesed area, will be worth at least half a million, in hard cash, to your kids or grandkids someday. if the creek don't rise.

I've thought about orchards, but dad was an ag chemist and said sprayings and maintenence would wipe me out. Dad was a perfectionist.

Fordguy, what's the lowest time spent on annual spraying/maintenence for your trees, so you can still get significant benefit from your orchard?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I called Stark Bros today to order my few trees, unless I order atleast 30 trees they will not guarantee what root stock I will get and the trees will be $20+ each.
Oh well back to the drawing board.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool thead.  Where are you buying the trees?  I'm looking to plant some honeycrisp trees and some blueberries.

Bucky145

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:51:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FordGuy] [#21]
Originally Posted By Bucky145:
Cool thead.  Where are you buying the trees?  I'm looking to plant some honeycrisp trees and some blueberries.

Bucky145

stark brothers is a good source...
Van Wells is good also
Fowler Nursery for pears and nut trees.
Isons nursery for grapes.  

I post this now for a reason - you need to order now to get them.  ONly place to get them in the spring, when normal joann and joe sixpack think of planting trees...is home depot or lowes, if you still have one around next spring.  ORder now, plant now, or wait till 2010.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:54:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FordGuy] [#22]
Well I called Stark Bros today to order my few trees, unless I order atleast 30 trees they will not guarantee what root stock I will get and the trees will be $20+ each.
Oh well back to the drawing board.

RR, I have 50 coming from Van Well nursery in February...all mine are around 8 bucks because of the type of apple - Coe Fuji.

If you want to piggy back on my order, feel free...I think you would need to stick with the Coe Fuji I already ordered, but they may let me try another variety.

RR is a friend of mine, but i will do this for anyone else here, at no cost  - just pay for trees and shipping, then come to my house and pick them up.  

The easiest thing forme to do would be to increase my Fuji order rather than change varieties.

What say, RR?  (IM received, got you covered, see you in FEb!)

Anyone else?  need to let me know right away!

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't know anything about that type but I am in. IM inbound.
Thanks, RR
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#24]
how ill these do planted in say a 55 gallon drum first year or so? (rental house now)
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:22:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FordGuy] [#25]
Thanks, RR

I am paying 7.80 per tree, plus shipping.

I just called, they are out of Coe Fuji, but they will give me other varieties at the same price...!!!(bwahahaha)Not too shabby, eh?  

So I ordered for RusteeRooster the following varieties

Jonagold
Cameo
Valstar
Cortland
Granny Smith for pollination

You're all set RusteeRooster!

check out van well nursery here - Van Well

By the way, "reselling" is something they encourage, so this is acceptable to the company, and the stark bros folks actually suggest it.  I am not a reseller, so I won't charge anything for the trees besides cost+shipping.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks, RR

I am paying 7.80 per tree, plus shipping.

I just called, they are out of Coe Fuji, but they will give me other varieties at the same price...!!!(bwahahaha)Not too shabby, eh?  

So I ordered for RusteeRooster the following varieties

Jonagold
Cameo
Valstar
Cortland
Granny Smith for pollination

You're all set RusteeRooster!

check out van well nursery here - Van Well

.That is way cool, I can't thank you enough.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
how ill these do planted in say a 55 gallon drum first year or so? (rental house now)

should do awesome.  ON M7, They need about 100 cm of width, and about 50-75 cm depth if they are irrigated.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#28]

I got a chuckle out of the last one - see, that's the best time to transplatn - when they are dormant.  what they dont' like is being transplanted when they are awake and growing, in spring  when most lowes/home depot buyers are doing their tree buying...this error probably also was the origin of your question about how many will live/die...all mine will live. plant in summer and half might die....

Thanks for the replies! I guess my ignorance is showing...   The only tree I've planted was a lemon tree in a pot on my porch, which doesn't grow any lemons.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I may want to get in on this. I'm out of town now but when I get back Weds. Il'l take a look at my scheme and see what trees are going to grow where I live.

I'm deploying for 14 months in March and would liek to have them in the ground by then. Otherwise I will have to wait until 2011 to plant them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Tested:
I may want to get in on this. I'm out of town now but when I get back Weds. Il'l take a look at my scheme and see what trees are going to grow where I live.

I'm deploying for 14 months in March and would liek to have them in the ground by then. Otherwise I will have to wait until 2011 to plant them.

happy to help, but you'd have to pick them up at Fordguy Ranch!  (I'll do this for whever wants, but I'm not a UPS, FEDEX, or USPS, so don't expect me to ship out a bunch of live plants!  yall would end up kicking me out of arfcom whenhalf of them die from my shoddy shipping...haha.)  they survive being shipped once to me, but twice - then from me to you - doubtful.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#31]
What variants would you recommend for a bit north of you?
(tidewater va right now, but likely to move inland in a years or so)?

as for the dormancy, when it is cold you can do pretty suprising things to trees as long as they do not dry out.    ( I am a forester, but frankly do not know much about fruit trees, now if you want to grow some Loblollys... )
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#32]
fordguy - do you have any recommendations for "low maintenance" apple trees - our bol is a bit far to travel to as frequently as I'd like. I'd like to get some started, if I can keep the bears away from them.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#33]
What variants would you recommend for a bit north of you?
(tidewater va right now, but likely to move inland in a years or so)?

as for the dormancy, when it is cold you can do pretty suprising things to trees as long as they do not dry out.    ( I am a forester, but frankly do not know much about fruit trees, now if you want to grow some Loblollys... )

I have about 4.5 acres of loblolly's I put in 3 years ago.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By jj01:
fordguy - do you have any recommendations for "low maintenance" apple trees - our bol is a bit far to travel to as frequently as I'd like. I'd like to get some started, if I can keep the bears away from them.

ah, I think they are all low maintenance...but I maintain many on a medium scale, not just 3 or 4 trees.  If you prune in DEC/JAN time frame, monitor for blight in summer, you should be ok.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Tested:

happy to help, but you'd have to pick them up at Fordguy Ranch!  (I'll do this for whever wants, but I'm not a UPS, FEDEX, or USPS, so don't expect me to ship out a bunch of live plants!  yall would end up kicking me out of arfcom whenhalf of them die from my shoddy shipping...haha.)  they survive being shipped once to me, but twice - then from me to you - doubtful.

Yea the commute would prolly negate any savings. Guess Il'l just order them the old fashion way.

Glad to know I need to plant them ASAP in order for them to survive.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Dang... Honeycrisp trees are sold out for 2009 already.  I think I'm going to place an order for 2010.

Bucky145
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I just ordered the following from Stark Bros.

Allstar Strawberry June Bearer
Marquis Seedless Grape
Stark® Tre-Pep™ Fertilizer 13 oz.
Stark® Golden Delicious Apple Semi Dwarf

Hoping to get them soon so I get can get them in the ground. That way when I get back from Iraq in May 2010 they will hopefully be ready for me to start harvesting a little something.
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#38]
any recommendations from what they have left?

Link Posted: 2/6/2009 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#39]
any recommendations from what they have left?

Hey, OSR...Without knowing much about your zone and climate, I have general recommendations based on disease resistance:

1. Enterprise (red apple)
2. Goldrush  (yellow delicious "type" apple)
3. Campbell Red Delicious

M-7 rootstock suckers but will provide a stable root system with fireblight resistance, and will eventually be outside of deer browsing range.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 9:31:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Orion_Shall_Rise] [#40]
thanks

7-a tidewater Virginia,

do those three include a pollinator?
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#41]
thanks

7-a tidewater Virginia,

do those three include a pollinator?

Your question just got me thinking as I just planted a Fuji and a Gala so I went out to the old interweb and found this.
According to this if the intersecting square is white they will pollinate each other:

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#42]
UPDATE: met with rusteerooster today - wonderful guy.  He got 5 trees, hope you can update with pics RR!

another update, since the original post I planted 50 more trees, so 132 apple trees, 50 chestnuts, mostly all by hand on weekends and days off...and also put in a well head today...
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I will get some pics on Monday and post.
Thanks again FG for the effort you put into getting me the trees. It was a pleasure to finally meet you.
This will give me 8 apple trees, 4 pear trees, 4 peach trees, 2 plum trees, a fig tree and 4 grape vines.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Now that you have the trees planted the real work begins.

Did you try to stagger the harvest a bit, or go for all-at-once harvest. I planted some fruit trees a few years ago, and went for a staggered ripening, to have fresh apples for a bit longer.

One of the trees I planted, an Arkansas Black, had an apple on it the same year I planted it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Well thanks to Fordguy for the trees, I got my mini orchard planted today, all that is left is to stake them and a barrier to keep the beavers away from the trees. Pics up tomorrow
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:49:47 AM EDT
[#46]
OST
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#47]
FG, what if anything did you do to prep the ground for your trees, besides tilling?  we have a perfect area for an orchard, but the ground is the worst on our property - classic oklahoma red clay.  also, if you don't mind me asking, how much property do you have?
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 10:10:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FordGuy] [#49]
Originally Posted By Cacinok:
FG, what if anything did you do to prep the ground for your trees, besides tilling?  we have a perfect area for an orchard, but the ground is the worst on our property - classic oklahoma red clay.  also, if you don't mind me asking, how much property do you have?

red clay can be great - M7 should do well as a rootstock in clay or sand.  Some rootstocks don't like clay.  Do a little research on rootstocks before your purchase.  For me, preparation of ground for fruit or nut trees is making the ground grow grass...if you can grow a good stand of grass, chances are you have adequate moisture and nutrients for trees.  The only remaining question is do you have adequate drainage since grass can sometimes tolerate a wet spot that a tree would not thrive in.

Once the field is good for grass, I lay off my rows where the trees will be planted. I put stakes down at the beginning and end. I thin drop a 3 bottom plow and plow a 3 foot wide swath up, then back, where the row will be.  In my case I then took a 42 inch rototiller and pulverized the dirt, so you have this patch of dirt with grass on both sides.  I then took a potatoe plow and cut a trench up the row.  Then shoveled out a large hold, planted the tree, then once the row was all planted, I side dressed the trees with a bullzozer with a 6 way blade.  I could have also used a tractor with rear blade, but I didn't have a 3 point blade and I did have a dozer there on site.

property - probably 4 acres in apples, many other acres awating my application of muscle...
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Pics of my 5 apple trees from forguy.

pear trees
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top