Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 2:59:45 PM EDT
OK, you Southern boys can put a pair of long pants in the trunk, and the FLA group doesn't need to do anything, but those of us up here where it snows need a little more.  Obviously, the winter kit is an add on to the year round kit and gear.  My new addition this year is a short D-handled shovel.

So, to start a discussion, my concerns are: 1) getting stuck in ice/snow, 2) getting stuck in the car on the road (either lay up there or moveout shanks mare, 3) getting really stuck in a snow bank or shoulder.  I have a 16 mile suburban commute.  My winter additions to the normal car GHB and tool kit include:

Traction group:

kitty liter, in a large plastic bulk food container.  
Collapsable snow shovel
Old shower mat for under the wheels,
FUBAR to chip sheetsof ice form the pavement in front of the tires

Warmth group:

extra fur lined gloves
extra fleece ear flap hat
pouch of extra fleece gloves, stocking cap, balaclavas, mittins, etc
coffee can/TP alcohol heater
Wool boot socks
quilt
Old GI sleeping bag cover

Self extraction group:

Small D-Handled shovel
tow strap
log chain
come-a-long
HEET

Visibility group:

Ice scrapers, chisels, and snow brushes
squeezee
de-icing fluid
lock de-icer (in the cold-weather coat pocket, not INSIDE the car)
winter wiper blades and good washer fluid

Does anyone else here have problems with very little usable room in the trunk?

Any thoughts or ideas about winter car gear to share?  Suggestions?  Let's hear them

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the reminder I need to put my long pants in the truck..

ETA: I guess I should probably put a long sleeve shirt in as well...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Some high energy food.  I like m&m's and some nuts something that will not melt in your trunk.  do not forget the water if you are stuck in your vehicle that will be important.  A compass is important if you are planing to try and walk out.  Just don't do it in white out conditions as that is a good way to end up a popsicle.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Vegas. We just roll the windows half way up
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]
It's going to be 18 degrees here tonight in Maine. Thanks for the timely post.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I live in Vegas. We just roll the windows half way up

But you still leave the top down?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
instead of kitty litter, i use rock salt.  it weighs about the same, but it also provides more traction as well as melts ice.  if you go off the road, you can clear a path with your shovel, then melt the ice and snow thats packed into the ground, just infront of your tires to make a trail back to the road. ive had to use this method before.

flares or triangles are nice to have for any time of the year.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I travel a bunch, so in addition to the items you list, some water, mh, trainmix, candles, winter boots and jacket - gh bag
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
as far as more room, i pack the spare tire well with stuff around the tire, like fixaflat and spare fluids. and if you really want, you can lift up the tire and jam shit under the rim. it makes it a bitch to get too, but if you need it, there it is.

you can also get those trunk nets and afix it to the underside of the deck lid.

put non metalic items up there only, so

they dntshort out your speakers or rattle on the metal.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#9]
You southerners, westerners, desert dwellers, etc. suck.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:55:20 AM EDT
[#10]
under the traction category, nothing beats chains, for both cars and pickups. I like to add an old set fo insulated coveralls so I don't trash my cloths when I install them. Chains and a shovel can get you out of all sorts of stuck situations or better, keep you from getting into them in the first place. And nothing beats chains over icy roads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top