Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 10:24:48 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good set of hiking boots. I would pay up to $250. I am looking for boots that would be good for rough terrain and also wearing around town. Want something that will be comfortable even while carrying a large pack all day. I don't need insulation.

I have been using Danners Ft Lewis Go Devils for quite some time generally pretty happy with them but thought there might be something better- time marches on.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Merrel trail runners and a sub-30lb pack. Gaiters for foul weather.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#2]
After reading what you are wearing now, I am not sure if this would fit your bill.  

However, if you are looking for less of a boot but that can still serve as a boot, I would recommend Vasque Sundowners.  Real leather and outstanding fit (for me, anyway).
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Go with sturdy trailrunners and a light pack.  You won't be sorry.  

There is no such thing as comfortable boots if you're walking all day with a heavy pack.  At least I haven't found any.

I backpack with a 30 pound pack and Merrell goretex trailrunners.  I can do 20 miles per day on trails with this setup.  Gortex trailrunners are a good choice for any terrain or weather if you keep your packweight down.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had good results with Vasque Clarion GTX. Packweight was in the 40-45lb range on the AT...

I wear them instead of sneakers nowadays because I need more foot support than sneaks provide (even with my orthotic inserts).
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been through a lot of boots. Merrels have held up the longest of any other brand. I wish they weren't so damn expensive! Check out http://www.lapolicegear.com/closeouts.html. They have have some incredible deals on boots.

check into the limmer standard boots.  they might out live you and your children. i've had mine 15 years and they are still good to go.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm happy with my Merrell's and will definitly buy another pair when these wear out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#8]
A little over your price range, but I really like footwear from Russell Moccasin and Limmer.  I have a pair of "stock" (not custom) Limmer Light Weights, and they are the best hiking boots I've ever owned.  MSRP was about $250, IIRC, and I scored mine for $175 at an Alabama Outdoor sale.  Unfortunately, Limmer no longer wholesales their stock boots, but it looks like THIS PLACE still has some.  If you don't need or want something as heavy as the Limmers, look at the Russells.  I have a pair of the Oneida moccasins and two pair of Sporting Clays Chukkas that I've had for years and years.  One pair of Chukkas has been resoled three times!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been very pleased with my Danner Arcadias.  More comfortable than tennis shoes and very durable.  I think they are about $250 these days.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
la sportivia glaciers. they are the shit! a lot of wildland fire fighters are starting to wear them. i have always worn whites and decided to buy a pair of sportivias this year. alls i can say is WOW! they rock!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a pair of Montrails for about 3 years or so but then they started leaking.  My next pair will be Asolos, pretty much all the guys I know that are outdoorsmen use these, and I know a few guys that have had theirs for over 7 or 8 years with no trouble.  I know one guy who has had his for over 10 years and has had them re-soled 3 or 4 times because he wears them out so much.  I haven't heard a single complaint about Asolos.  I also know a guy who named his dog Asolo....
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had a pair of Montrails for about 3 years or so but then they started leaking.  My next pair will be Asolos, pretty much all the guys I know that are outdoorsmen use these, and I know a few guys that have had theirs for over 7 or 8 years with no trouble.  I know one guy who has had his for over 10 years and has had them re-soled 3 or 4 times because he wears them out so much.  I haven't heard a single complaint about Asolos.  I also know a guy who named his dog Asolo....

Just don't get the FSN 95 GTX.  I got a pair because they were a Backpacker magazine "Editor's Choice" but I burned through the sole in less than two years, and by then the Gore-Tex was leaking and the synthetic lining was shot.  Waste of money.  OTOH, some of the very best boots I ever owned were a pair of Asolo Alegros I bought around 1980––leather-lined full grain rough out leather uppers, norwegian welt, Vibram Montagna soles––they rocked!

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just don't get the FSN 95 GTX.  I got a pair because they were a Backpacker magazine "Editor's Choice" but I burned through the sole in less than two years, and by then the Gore-Tex was leaking and the synthetic lining was shot.  Waste of money.  OTOH, some of the very best boots I ever owned were a pair of Asolo Alegros I bought around 1980––leather-lined full grain rough out leather uppers, norwegian welt, Vibram Montagna soles––they rocked!

i have heard similar things about the asolos - they're either rock solid or fall apart quick.

i've been wearing different danner boots for over 13 years, been completely happy w/ them.  i've tried other brands, vasque, and have never been as happy.  

i have broken both ankles and torn ligaments in each numerous times, so it was hard to find boots that gave the support i was looking for that didn't weigh 8lbs each.  danners worked, others didn't.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#14]
If they still had the Vasque Trekker I'd recommend it.  But most of the stuff they seem to have now is Chinese, well, junk.  If you can find Trekkers, Sundowners or another all leather version, make sure they're Italian manu, not Chinese. I've had absolutely no luck with the Chinese stuff.

I was lucky enough to buy a set of Black Ice (Thinsulated Trekkers) in 1991, and they lasted until 2001.  The resole is the only reason I tossed them. After that I bought Trekkers. I loved them, and of course, they discontinued them.  A guy on Ebay was selling the remaining US stock of them, and I bought 5 sets.  Figure they'll last me until 2053

If you're a size 8Mens Medium, I can hook you up with a pair
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top