Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 4:27:36 PM EDT
I am prepared but I am not isolated.

If it happens I am so screwed. I am one person in the middle of a dense population.

I had planned to go to my Fathers but he seems to want to help everyone at his own expense.
And every time I try to explain to him that we can survive, he keeps talking about giving my/our supplies to the needy.

I guess that I am SOL.

There went my plans.

I guess that I'm gonna have to figure something else out.

I'm so dissapointed in him.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Do your own preps and,if the situation allows, bug in.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm only one person and I'll have to sleep.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

key word here-----

network
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, at least Lootie will take your side right?

You did get his thread killed didn't you.

Make some like minded friends, its not that hard.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Not everyone has a BOL available to them.  I am planning on bugging in.  It's not the best plan, but it's my only option as this time.   I rent, and live in a city with a population density of about 9,000 people/mile.  If the SHTF, I'm just going to hunker down, reinforce all the points of entry and make the building look as uninhabited as humanly possible. (And then pray no molotovs come my way)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]
What "preps" are yours and what is his? You need to explain to him that your preps are yours and he cannot give them away.

He really doesn't seem to get what you are prepping for.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey, at least Lootie will take your side right?

You did get his thread killed didn't you.

Make some like minded friends, its not that hard.

Wow, you have a mind like a steel trap. Lots of things get in but nothing gets out.

I "nearly" got that thread locked.

Thanks for bringing that back up.

Making like minded end of the world type friends is like telling janet reno that you have a compound that you want to have inspected.

It just doesn't work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]

it may be time to consider a retirement home for your pops

na, just pullin your leg

go to one of the local lumber places and get some plywood and cut it to fit the windows and doors. do your best to pick up some fire resistant material (your choice, your money) and tack it to the wood. prep the window and door areas so it can be put up quick. grab a few fire extinguishers while you are out. stage them where you think you would need them first.
pick up some extra food and water and pray for the best.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

na, just pullin your leg

go to one of the local lumber places and get some plywood and cut it to fit the windows and doors. do your best to pick up some fire resistant material (your choice, your money) and tack it to the wood. prep the window and door areas so it can be put up quick. grab a few fire extinguishers while you are out. stage them where you think you would need them first.

good idea but my house is a standard bi level.

plastic siding on foil backed card board.

You couldn't secure this house if you had a swat team inside.

I'd be glad to find some like minded folks around here.
I just don't think that many people would be willing to meet others like me when it comes to the survival thing.

I do have 10 times more food than I would ever need though.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

na, just pullin your leg

good idea but my house is a standard bi level.

plastic siding on foil backed card board.

You couldn't secure this house if you had a swat team inside.

I just don't think that many people would be willing to meet others like me when it comes to the survival thing.

Fortunately, most people are stupid and would never think about going thru the wall next to the door instead of pounding on a heavy, tough door.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

slang for "I have a shit ton of food"
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Have you been to the Hometown forums?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sort of. I shot my first rifle at the KY gathering at knob creek 3 years ago.

Since then I've come a very long way.

I'll just have to look into finding another place/people. (easier said than done)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll just have to look into finding another place/people. (easier said than done)

Louisville?  Where in KY?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#16]
15 miles south of Cincinnati.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Not worried here. I've got a bottle of Wild Turkey,a big bag of M&M's and a bag of frito's. I'm set. What about you guys.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
15 miles south of Cincinnati.

Nevermind, I'm just north of Louisville, too much distance to be effective.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#19]
i have the same problem,( at least being in the berbs part.) but your bigest problem is not my bad spelling but YOUR att.  take it one thing at a time. 1st get water, then a weapon, then food.  worst case you would still have a little bit of preps and that is better the 99% af reg. people.

and least this way you can at least say you tryed.

something is better then nothing
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It might not be easy, but it is possible. It could take some time, though, so you better get started.
I've been here in the Ozarks for about 16 years, and I've met at least 30 people at campouts who would be willing and able to help somebody who lived nearby and wanted to set up a BOL at their place. I haven't kept a count of how many campouts I've been to, but it's a bunch.
Keep in mind that online forums aren't the ONLY place to meet people with similar ideas. There's gun shows, gun stores, even shopping at WalMart.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#21]

If the shtf I am screwed

If that's your mentality, you're right.

Survival isn't just about stuff, it's about mindset.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Hang in there dude.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Home Depot...Portable proximity alarm. $27.00... or get a SO!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#24]
BTW. Yesterday on the radio the State of Texas and the local Health department and emergency center were suggesting that everyone have enough food and water for 2 weeks.
Two weeks from 3 days. Me thinks the SHTF may just be around the corner.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Making like minded end of the world type friends is like telling janet reno that you have a compound that you want to have inspected.

It just doesn't work.

Maybe that's the problem, you're looking at 'end of world types' to link up with - Sorry, but I find most of those people are pretty damn depressing in reality.  Always looking at life with a half empty glass attitude, always looking for the bad in things to occur, nearly always anyway.   Many of the end of world types believe in storing more ammo and guns then food anyway.  Not my kind of people - sorry.

It seems as if you put all your stock into going to Dads, okay, not a big deal. Change of plans - Murphy walked up and kissed you on the lips.  (Hell, what if Dad's place was burnt down or overrun before you arrived? Then what would you have done?)  Instead, here's a chance to expand.  Look at your circle of friends, co-workers, aquaintences - what kind of skills do they have to offer that could help YOU/ your family survive?  In trading for their skills that you don't have, you could 'pay' them in food/shelter if TSHTF - not everyone has to be a hardcore prepper with a metric crapload of ammo/guns/food stored away or believe the same as you do, they can have skills that you don't posess - unless you know everything pertaining to medical, gardening, fixing things, alt. power, security, etc.

Think outside the box instead of what's right in front of you.  BTW, if your friends or aquaintences suck in general and have no skills what so ever to help you survive TSHTF, maybe it's time to get a new group of friends.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Your friends should already be your group.  That friend who showed up with his chainsaw when the tree fell against your house... the other friend who pulled your truck behind his when it broke down in the boonies... and then there's the friend who everybody else brought prepared meals to and vnd visited every day for when his wife died....  they are all in your group.

If your "survival" group is not your friends before something happens, you are probably going to have major problems when you are forced together during/after an event.

Our group started as friends first.  We all know and like each other.  Sure, there are some personality conflicts, and under stress these will probably widen, but woe be unto the outsider who tries anything.  We'll close ranks fast and protect our folks.

You don't have to call yourselves a survival group if that is upsetting to some of your group of friends.  All that you need is to prepare individually and as a group, and agree on how to contact each other and where to meet should anything happen.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#27]
the problem in my area is that nobody thinks it can happan to them.
people in n.m for the most part think nothing will happan here, and if it does, the gov. will fix it. so even taking about it is like pulling teeth
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#28]
DIBS ON GUNS.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#29]
You are not in dire straits. You can move as you wish, when you want. Solitary is a good thing. Unfuck your mind. Blend in, get what you need, move out. Low profile. Early on in a SHTF scenario, people are clueless. Use this as an advantage. Just like a war-zone. Going is good and easy at first, then people get smarter and adapt. Get yours, Get out. Would love to be in your shoes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Your father might be setting a good example - there are lots of things to think through.

As an example:

If you and your father have a fantastic garden that can support your family, in a SHTF situation it will soon be supporting the entire neighborhood through give away or theft.

Eventually we all have to come to a way to get through the SHTF situation, one way might be starting now to get your neighbors to grow their own garden, then their neighbors, then entire city.  Eventually everyone is prepped and you might not have to worry about sharing your preps.

Regards, BSR
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Your father might be setting a good example - there are lots of things to think through.

As an example:

If you and your father have a fantastic garden that can support your family, in a SHTF situation it will soon be supporting the entire neighborhood through give away or theft.

Eventually we all have to come to a way to get through the SHTF situation, one way might be starting now to get your neighbors to grow their own garden, then their neighbors, then entire city.  Eventually everyone is prepped and you might not have to worry about sharing your preps.

Regards, BSR

There are tons of examples to be learned here. There is alot of good advice above too.

I appreciate the text provided. It is a major kick in the ass.

I'm suprised that 2 or 3 people offered their place to me as a BOL. There were no specific address posted but there were 2 invitations.

Networking is alive and well in KY.

It is always good to have a secondary place. I would like to extend my 2 places to the folks that offered to help me.

We will all meet at the "range" and make sure that we give the secrete handshake.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Just because your dad has stated that he's willing to be charitable if things get ugly doesn't mean that you're better off staying where you are.  If things get REALLY bad then maybe he'll change his mind.  Even if he does insist on helping people whenever he can do you really think that you'd be better off staying where you are with no or far fewer preps?  Just remember....if you're mooching off of his preps and living at his BOL then he's being charitable to you, too.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Facts are, SHTF is years away.  You have plenty of time to get your affairs in order.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
i have the same problem,( at least being in the berbs part.) but your bigest problem is not my bad spelling but YOUR att.  take it one thing at a time. 1st get water, then a weapon, then food.  worst case you would still have a little bit of preps and that is better the 99% af reg. people.

First get gun, then get ammo for gun, then take food and water with gun, thats my plan.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#35]
And you expect how much sympathy here?

Quoted:

Quoted:

First get gun, then get ammo for gun, then take food and water with gun, thats my plan.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#36]

I'll think of it as evolution in action when he gets killed trying it.

Link Posted: 8/15/2008 3:45:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Its not like most of the people who will actually have food and water during SHTF wont have their own guns. hinking.gif
Many of their own guns height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/15/2008 4:48:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Perhaps the better solution is to sit down with Dad and come up with an agreable plan as to what can be shared and what cannot be shared. How much and when. And how to determine what and when to share, and to not just hand everything out Willie Nillie.

Sharing is not necessarily a bad thing. Doing it with wisdom is the key.

But now is the time to plan "together" how you can sustain yourselves and share at the same time.

For instance, right now, I have very little to share, but I sure can protect those around me, and will do so. Those being neighbors.

StagPower

Quoted:
I am prepared but I am not isolated.

If it happens I am so screwed. I am one person in the middle of a dense population.

I had planned to go to my Fathers but he seems to want to help everyone at his own expense.
And every time I try to explain to him that we can survive, he keeps talking about giving my/our supplies to the needy.

I guess that I am SOL.

There went my plans.

I guess that I'm gonna have to figure something else out.

I'm so dissapointed in him.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Trying to assemble a hard-core group of crack TEOTWAKI commandos is no easy task.  Perhaps you can find a group like in Patriots, but that only works if no one has an actual personality.   The worst thing one can do, IMHO, is to try and start a "SURVIVAL GROUP."  Might as well send out an invitation to all the freaks, weirdos, loners, wannabes and morbidly obese lunatics that you can find, and then plan on spending your "meetings" or "training" acting as facilitator between the tactical wheelbarrow advocates and the bug out llama team.  You will have a couple of decent folk, probably, but its hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Likewise, planning to bugout to someone's place without them being totally onboard is also a bad deal.  You could end up with your pre-staged supplies sold or given away, you could spend lots of time building LP/OP's, installing steel shutters, and digging an escape tunnel, only to have the owner decide to sell to Rosie O'Donnel for a secret donut storage facility.  Worse yet, you could end up being that guy that says, "When things go bd, I'm coming to your place."

There is lots of good advice in this thread (and at least one piece of very bad advice).  But, I think that in the absence of a pre-existing core group of like-minded individuals, it is best to take a stealth approach.  First, spend some time with Dad.  Do whatever outdoorsy stuff you can together.  Don't talk about TSHTF or anything remotley related.  Do some fishing, some shooting, some 4x4ing, smoke cigars, camp, hike, etc.  If the place needs some minor improvements, like fences built or repaired, help with that.  You can build a stronger bond, and at least get into the realm of 'surviving.'  Then, if things go south and you do go to Pops place, yall will have some common experiences to build off of.

Now, in your local area, you have to prepare yourself.  Store the basics.  Don't worry about keeping watch 24/7.  Install strong locks, get an alarms, a dog, etc.  Do outdoorsy things with your friends (see above list).  If you have a group of freinds that all have camping gear, guns and ammo, and know how to use them both, you will be way ahead of the curve.  

Notice, you have not talked to anyone about TEOTWAWKI or anything... You sew the seeds of your Fighting Force of Extraordinary Magnitude, and reap the fruits when needed.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Make your place look like it's been looted in a SHTF situation.

Take a couple sheets of plywood and shingle them to match the roof, cut a irregular hole in the shingles down to the tar paper to look like a hugh hole was put in that spot then strap the two peice together so you can hang them over the center ridge with one piece on the front and one on the back so to passerbys it looks like ahole in the roof from the front or back.  Don't make them match so if someone goes around the house it looks better and not so fake.  Also around the hole have shingles sticking up to improve the hole effect, you will also need small straps at the bottom of the plywood to secure it down so it doesn't move.  You make these ahead of time and put them on when SHTF happens.

Then buy a bunch of the bullet holes decals, put all over windows and beside door not in a pattern, make it look like this house was shot up.

This should improve your bug in ods for looters will think this ones already been done, you might also get some black paint and paint above the windows to the side like smoke came out at the tops from a fire inside.

The idea is to make it appear this house ins't worth bothering with and if someone comes banging on the door you yell, I have claimed this house go find your own.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly, if the SHTF, I'd be LOOKING for people like you.  No baggage (kids, wife, etc), you are willing to fight and work to survive and you can help farm my land.  I'd talk to people who'd WANT to take you in.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#42]
If you think you are screwed, then you are. Mindset.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Join your local CERT program.

Befriend local cops - let them know your place has free coffee and donuts for cops on patrol.

Chances are, in SHTF your place will become a tactical R&R locale while they're "on patrol".
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If you think you are screwed, then you are. Mindset.

Discuss world events with friends and co-workers.  Steer the conversation to the latest crisis and the "What do you think it would be like to be a civilian in Georgia?", or bring up the Gulf coast incident during Katrina.  Don't tell people right off that you are into prepardness.  You'd be surprised how often you will find people trying to "Network you".  I had a fellow officer in my Department try to network me as I was trying to network him!  His 35 acres in a rural county is now my BO location!

To the OP, I live in the west side of Cincinnati. You'd be surprised how many conservative thinking people are in this area.  Finding people that you could band together for mutual aid during a crisis isn't that difficult.   If your family is too liberal, then I suggest you try to "Think outside of the box".

Mindset is the most important survival skill, in my opinion...
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#45]
 Hey Guys...Don't forget your Action Teams!!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#46]
FACTS

What part of KY you in. I live in Northern KY.
KY is not that populated, compared to Cities in N.A.
I do not plan to bail not at first anyway.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

slang for "I have a shit ton of food"

And you don't have it CACHED at your dads place Why?
You bury it while he's asleep and dig it up as needed,
come on dude lets step out of the box

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You are not in dire straits. You can move as you wish, when you want. Solitary is a good thing. Unfuck your mind. Blend in, get what you need, move out. Low profile. Early on in a SHTF scenario, people are clueless. Use this as an advantage. Just like a war-zone. Going is good and easy at first, then people get smarter and adapt. Get yours, Get out. Would love to be in your shoes.

Very well said.

Being alone can have its advantages. You just have to know what those advantages are and how to use them. As for the disadvantages you just have to prepare and know how to work around them.

As said above it's easier to disappear and stay low profile when you are on your own. That alone can be a life saver.

Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not worried here. I've got a bottle of Wild Turkey,a big bag of M&M's and a bag of frito's. I'm set. What about you guys.

Gettin low on wiskey (again) myself. Need to keep outa my preps.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

+1

Store up
Bug-in, dont tell ANYONE
Lock & Load  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top