Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2008 4:48:00 PM EDT
I am just starting to reload and have yet to build up my supply of brass. What's the best resource for good, cheap brass.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am just starting to reload and have yet to build up my supply of brass. What's the best resource for good, cheap brass.

A time machine.  That was all a couple of years ago.

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
range pickup
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Check here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#5]
My brother-in-law gave me 5 gallons of 5.56 for Christmas; he got them at Camp Perry. On the other extreme.....I just ordered some .303 brass (only)from Midway at $108. per 2 hundred. Reloading ain't always about cheap!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I get buckets of LC 223 brass from a cop I know.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:24:44 AM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
range pickup

(given that this is the survvial forum) --

this is a really good point. If you can't obtain your brass from range pickup, you may not be using the correct rounds. the common rounds (38, 9mm, 40sw, 44mag, 45acp, 308, 223, 30-06) are always lying around the ranges.  10mm and 6.5x55 are almost never lying around.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:40:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Network with other shooters who do not load.  Ask them you will buy their brass from them.  Normally low ball the amount.  Whatever the market rate for used brass nowadays.  Anyways with them getting some cash back from their once fired brass is a good incentive.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:59:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep range pickup is always your best first place to start.  After that you can buy brass.  You can watch gunbroker and other places for the caliber you want to shoot.  If you hunt around long enough you will figure out what the going rate is per 1k of one fired brass and then its just a matter of waiting for a good deal.  

Start with your own casings thought...make sure you always police up your own brass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Another good source is a firearms course. I took one last summer and got so much .40S&W that I achieved critical mass and started reloading the stuff. I'm shooting it in a S&W Model 610 until I can get a conversion barrel for a Glock20. I also got a ton of 9mm and .45ACP. I think I figured at once fired prices I recouped around half the cost of the two day class (300).

Quoted:

I don't have an actual count because its a bunch.  

................ Tj

You have achieved ammowhoredom.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#12]
223 - Processed $99.85 per 1000 Shipped
Your choice headstamp - Federal. Winchester, Lake City and WCC

www.brassmanbrass.com/monthlyspecials.html

BTW- I never pick it up at the range.  It may be the 10th time the brass was loaded when you get it and it kabooms your gun.  That sure doesn't save you money after you pay for the gun and hospital bills.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#13]
GIBRASS.com
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
GIBRASS.com

Come on take a moment and make a link hot. It makes the site more usable for everyone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Get up to Fort Lewis with a broom and a shovel.

We allways had to police up and turn in all brass. Last time I went to the range to qualify with my unit I was able to score some bandoleers, stripper clips and spoons, that was my " spif " for being on the range/mag loading detail

To the OP, it really depends on what caliber you want. Surplus USGI brass can still be had fairly cheap, check different dealers that advertise in the shot gun news. Hunting/sporting calibers, allong with some foriegn milsurp can be more problematic. I have a buttload of win 30-30 brass I collected over the years at my local range, usually right before hunting season when people would get out there rifles to check zero. Be carefull though of range pickup brass, especially .40 S&W brass. If it has been shot in a glock it could be weakened just above the rim as the glock chamber is poorly supported. I shoot a glock 22 so I know what to look for, but dont reload my own cases more than once from my glock. Also be wary of .223 range pickup brass, even brass that looks pretty new. I crush my brass when it is worn out to me, but other than the neck being crushed with a multitool you wouldnt know how many times it has been loaded. I have a vibrating case cleaner and will put a tablespoon of blitz in the cleaning medium, after a few hours you would think it is brand new if you didnt know what to look for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top