Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2007 4:01:59 AM EDT
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21141012/wid/11915773?gt1=10514

Virus still has not transformed into pandemic strain, researchers say

Updated: 7:44 p.m. CT Oct 4, 2007
NEW YORK - The H5N1 bird flu virus has mutated to infect people more easily, although it still has not transformed into a pandemic strain, researchers said on Thursday.

The changes are worrying, said Dr. Yoshihiro Kawaoka of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

"We have identified a specific change that could make bird flu grow in the upper respiratory tract of humans," said Kawaoka, who led the study.

"The viruses that are circulating in Africa and Europe are the ones closest to becoming a human virus," Kawaoka said.

Recent samples of virus taken from birds in Africa and Europe all carry the mutation, Kawaoka and colleagues report in the Public Library of Science journal PLoS Pathogens.

"I don't like to scare the public, because they cannot do very much. But at the same time it is important to the scientific community to understand what is happening," Kawaoka said in a telephone interview.

The H5N1 avian flu virus, which mostly infects birds, has since 2003 infected 329 people in 12 countries, killing 201 of them. It very rarely passes from one person to another, but if it acquires the ability to do so easily, it likely will cause a global epidemic.

All flu viruses evolve constantly and scientists have some ideas about what mutations are needed to change a virus from one that infects birds easily to one more comfortable in humans.

Birds usually have a body temperature of 106 degrees F, and humans are 98.6 degrees F usually. The human nose and throat, where flu viruses usually enter, is usually around 91.4 degrees F.

"So usually the bird flu doesn't grow well in the nose or throat of humans," Kawaoka said. This particular mutation allows H5N1 to live well in the cooler temperatures of the human upper respiratory tract.

H5N1 caused its first mass die-off among wild waterfowl in 2005 at Qinghai Lake in central China, where hundreds of thousands of migratory birds congregate.

That strain of the virus was carried across Asia to Africa and Europe by migrating birds. Its descendants carry the mutation, Kawaoka said.

"So the viruses circulating in Europe and Africa, they all have this mutation. So they are the ones that are closer to human-like flu," Kawaoka said.

Luckily, they do not carry other mutations, he said.

"Clearly there are more mutations that are needed. We don't know how many mutations are needed for them to become pandemic strains."
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Not very good news.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
This has the potential to be a big deal.  Back when I was cruising the bird flu forums, one of the key points the experts made was that the H5N1 variants only reproduced in "deep lung" situations, where it was presumably warmer.  That was good news because it made it a lot harder to transmit the virus.  If the new varieties can reproduce in the nose and throat, I suspect that would mean quite a bit higher transmission rate.  Which in turn would result in more genetic variations that would not be good for human types.  

Who knows, but it didn't brighten my day to read that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#3]
We Limeys will give you a heads up if we start clucking.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:07:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the flu last year for the first time. I got my first flu shot this year. If this stuff gets outta hand (and I think that eventually it will) I am just gonna stay home.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#5]
open the borders
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#6]
The science channel has a special on tonight @ 9:00 pm on pandemic flu for those interested.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#7]
what can you do to protect yourself?

and how is it transmitted?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I was just watching the Falcons/Titans game on Fox, when out of the blue a public service announcement ran which featured kids asking their parents about bird flu. It then said for more info go to www.pandemicflu.gov/. Interesting.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

www.drugdelivery.ca/s3353-s-TAMIFLU.aspx

WOW... I guess I didn't realize that it was that expensive. That's a big cash outlay for a family of 5, just in case we get the flu.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21141012/wid/11915773?gt1=10514

Virus still has not transformed into pandemic strain, researchers say

Updated: 7:44 p.m. CT Oct 4, 2007
NEW YORK - The H5N1 bird flu virus has mutated to infect people more easily, although it still has not transformed into a pandemic strain, researchers said on Thursday.

The changes are worrying, said Dr. Yoshihiro Kawaoka of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

"

Strike another one up for the Bill and Hillary duo. It's their fault.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Give it another year or so and it will be worse than the Jihad.......
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW... I guess I didn't realize that it was that expensive. That's a big cash outlay for a family of 5, just in case we get the flu.

It's cheaper if you can get a prescription written and get it filled locally.  Otherwise, there is an upcharge for getting via an alternate source.

As far as cost goes, I'm guessing that you have much more invested in the firearms that you have acquired in order to protect your family's health.

My $.02.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

and

type the item name in the search box

www.alldaychemist.com/search.php
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and

type the item name in the search box

www.alldaychemist.com/search.php

That figures .  Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Any of the Falcons coughing???  

Quoted:
I was just watching the Falcons/Titans game on Fox, when out of the blue a public service announcement ran which featured kids asking their parents about bird flu. It then said for more info go to www.pandemicflu.gov/. Interesting.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Notice on the "all day alchemist" that a generic is available?? Oseltamivir  Is that a generic or a similar medication?  Is it on Wal-Marts $4 list?  :)
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Interesting, since it has had an affinity for the lower tract.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#21]
matter of time...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder if the flu vaccine I get annually for free (state employee) will have any positive effect against H5N1? Not expecting it totally defeat the strain but perhaps make it less potent.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#23]
And Tamiflu will only keep you from getting sick if taken at the proper time once you are infected.

And after that ordeal is done, you do not have immunity, and you can still become re-infected.

The only "cure" is a vacine which can only be developed after the super bird flu bug comes about.

And don't forget the mystery zombie virus "The Sleepy" that is still unexplained following the Spanish Flu Pandemic.

Yea I watched the Science channel special last night on bird flu.  Should rerun this week,
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yea I watched the Science channel special last night on bird flu.  Should rerun this week,

Unfortunately today at 10am was the last scheduled airing. Not to say it won't appear On Demand or at a later date. Here's a link to Google Video's BBC version of the same show.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
And Tamiflu will only keep you from getting sick if taken at the proper time once you are infected.

And after that ordeal is done, you do not have immunity, and you can still become re-infected.

The only "cure" is a vacine which can only be developed after the super bird flu bug comes about.

And don't forget the mystery zombie virus "The Sleepy" that is still unexplained following the Spanish Flu Pandemic.

That's not entirely accurate.

Tamiflu prevents the flu from reproducing itself in your cells.  So, yes - you want to catch it as soon as possible.  

However, once you have been exposed to the bug, your body will develop an immunity to it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#26]
All the reports I've read indicate that if you become infected with the current strains of H5N1, you have up to 2 days to get Tamiflu [lots of it] in you or you can toss in the chips. You still might be finished, but your odds are improved greatly.

Having the pneumovax shot, Amox-Clav antibiotic, and a few others, a CPAP according to some, maybe O2, and some over the counter meds might give you a fighting chance. That's about all you can ask or hope for if no formal medical treatment is available.

The Russians claim their antiviral Arbidol is effective. I have never read of it being used for bird flu. Seems to be a dirty word to the Tamiflu proponents. Would be interested if anyone heard about this med. It is safe, over the counter, cheap and popular in Russia. Lots of info on a Goggle search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top