Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2007 4:26:34 PM EDT
I lurk this forum alot but never post here. I appreciate everything that I have learned from this area of the board. I have begun collecting my own preps, gear and knowledge. I bieleve knowledge and the training to use it are of the utmost importance.

As of late I have I have been re aquainted with my good assistant the Swiss Army Knife (SWK). I have had my swk for about 15 years and it has served me well after a while I stopped carrying it in favor of a leatherman. some how about 5 years ago I lost the leatherman. I didn't carry anything after that. I found my ol' swk sitting in a box a few weeks back and decided she earned her privilage back into my pocket. It has been used atleast 5 times daily since then.

How many of you guys still have one and use it regularly? I have contimplated another leatherman/gerber style multitool. However I cannot give up my love for the swk. if you still have one, why do you choose to carry it daily?

feel free to discuss.
-GETNLWR-
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
i carry a swiss one handed trekker daily , it's such a great knife i bought a second one incase i lose the first.
the saw on it is badass.
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I think we all tend to go back to the Swiss Army Knife every so many years. I keep one in all of my GHBs and BOBs, also my wife carries the small one on her key ring.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm never without a Swiss Army Knife.
I carry a small one on my keys and a MacGyver style Victorinox Super Tinker in my back pocket with my wallet. I'm on my second Super Tinker. I wore out the scissors and took it to the knife shop I bought it at. They sent it back to the factory and they sent me a new knife no charge.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive got a few that ive had for years. I really like them, they have good blades that are pretty durable. the only reason I take my leatherman is the pliers and the saw. I tend to use those items more so than jus what all the swiss has to offer.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently bought a couple of these to stick in my car emergency bags.

Link

Link Posted: 6/11/2007 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]

I used my old Camper daily on vacation at the beach last week...opening Coronas, slicing limes, cutting a steak, cutting the tags off a new Penn rod/reel combo, trimming fishing line.......

I like SAKs.

Link Posted: 6/11/2007 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep a standard size swk on my keyring. Its a good knife and the price is right... got tired of losing $80 knifes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#8]
My EDC knife is a Victorinox Pioneer that I've owned since the early 1980s.  I recently bought two more and put them in the GHB in my truck and my wife's car.  I also carry a Victorinox Cybertool 41 and a Swisstool RS in my laptop bag.

I posted some thoughts about this on my blog back in December, In Praise of the Non-Tactical Pocketknife.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice topic.  I have a bunch of different knives that seem to have built up over the years.  I have and sometimes carry various "tacticool" folders, but when i'm at work it's a pain carrying a big knife, or multi tool in a sheath.  I prefer to keep it simple and go with a victorinox classic on my keyring.  This knife gets more use than any other knife I own.  It's tiny, but does a good job at most everyday knife tasks.  The scissors, and tweezers have come in very handy as well.

When I was younger I would carry a big fixed blade hunting knife (western brand) with me anytime I went into the woods.  I learned really quick that such a big knife wasn't always the best tool for the job.  I used my wenger SAK (think its a mechanic) many times to skin squirrels while my sheath knife usually never left its sheath.

I'm not up on all the specs, but IMO the steel used in genuine SAKs (wenger and victorinox) is very good steel, and takes a nice sharp edge.

Link Posted: 6/12/2007 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i carry a swiss one handed trekker daily , it's such a great knife i bought a second one incase i lose the first.
the saw on it is badass.

Love the OHT.
found a Kydex neck sheath for it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
the saw on it is badass.

Love the OHT.
found a Kydex neck sheath for it.I wish they would make it with a straight blade instead of the serrations, what do you think of the serrations?
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a Wenger SAK in addiction to my BM 710 every day.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry the Tinker but would like to try a Hiker as it is a little shorter.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Itty bitty one on my keyring, and a full size linked to an OC cannister in my right cargo pocket in the backcountry.

Another one in the car camping kitchen, and number four in the first aid/survival kit.

Don't leave home without them.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the new techie one, with the USB drive on it, on my keychain 24/7.
I use it all the time.

Gotta love Swiss Army Knives!
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to carry a Tinker around as my only knife, for years.  Now it rides around at work in a SwissGear backpack.  Next to a SwissGear water bottle.  And I have a Swiss K31, too.  And a Wenger wallet.

Kind of crept up on me!
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 1:47:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How many of you guys still have one
feel free to discuss.
-GETNLWR-

One?

Three are key parts of my gear.  
1st line Survial kit
In my larger pack
In my truck door:  Belt sheath that has knife, sharpener, flashlight and pliers OR forceps.  FYI this set up is at least 20 years old and smokes most multi tools.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 4:35:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
the saw on it is badass.

Love the OHT.
found a Kydex neck sheath for it.

I wish they would make it with a straight blade instead of the serrations, what do you think of the serrations?

I like them as it great for slicing bread or tomatoes/veggies while camping.
SOSAKonline has a group buy on a non-serrated offering.

Pete
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I must be in the minority here.  I have a couple that I have had forever.  One is now in the wifes car and my daughter has another and I think in my old climbing pack there is my big one.

My feelings are that the metal is not too good.  They are too bulky to fit in a pocket.  The blades do not lock into position so they are an accident waiting to happen.  

The only handy thing was the cork screw and that saved the evening a few times in college!  

I wouldnt spend money on another.

Just my opinion........

Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:14:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I did the EVO 18 from wenger.  

blades on SAK's are way better than gerbers and leathermans.  If I need pliers, I'll get one out of the tool box.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#22]
My employer has a policy against weapons in the office, even pocket knifes.

But.. I carry my Cybertool 41 at work, since I"m an IT guy and often have to work on Servers. Since it has torx bits and other computer applicable tools, I get a pass.

Cybertool

Link Posted: 6/13/2007 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#23]
oh come on, a 3 inch blade isn't even a weapon in the people's republic of CA I think...
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I've used Victorinox and Wenger knives for years and really can't imagine being without a couple around the house, in the car and/or on my person. My favorite is the Victorinox Trailmaster.

It's very similar to the Bundeswehr folder pictured above by Mudbug. IMO it's the one tool I won't be without for any length of time. The knife blade locks tightly and the saw is wickedly effective. And I can't begin to say how many ways I've used the tweezers and toothpick on this and other SWK's.

Another useful tool is the Victorinox Swisscard. It's completely unobtrusive when carrying a "real" knife isn't in the cards. I find the scissors especially handy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Another proud Swiss army knife owner here!  I have a bunch (in cars, different rooms, diffrent bags), always a "Swiss credit card" in my wallet and usually a regular SAK in my pocket.  I like them because as long as you don't have the ones with 200 blades, they're small enough to fit easily in a pocket.  Leathermans are too big for pockets and they get heavy after a while!

DarkKnight, I love the SAKs with the USB drive, but I'd be afraid to mix functions like that.  I once had to give up a SAK at the airport (forgot it was in my carry-on).  I was pissed, but it would have sucked much worse if I'd lost my USB drive too!
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#26]
How sharp are these knives? Are they good for cutting anything? How thick and bulky are they?

I'm looking for a good sharp knife to take with me. It would be a big plus to have a standard screwdriver bit and maybe a can opener on the other side. The thinner the better. I don't think I need a thick one with 10+ gadgets.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
How sharp are these knives? Are they good for cutting anything? How thick and bulky are they?

Not to be contrite but they're as sharp as the person sharpening them, just like most other knives. Properly maintained, they're excellent cutting tools. I've used them for a lot of stuff, including field dressing and skinning a whitetail deer, without stopping to resharpen.

As for bulk and thickness, it depends on the model. Some are very thin, others are IMO ridiculously big. Most are somewhere in-between. That's the great part of modern SWAK's, you have such a huge variety from which to choose.

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

DarkKnight, I love the SAKs with the USB drive, but I'd be afraid to mix functions like that.  I once had to give up a SAK at the airport (forgot it was in my carry-on).  I was pissed, but it would have sucked much worse if I'd lost my USB drive too!

The USB drive is removable for just such a situation.  Ideally, though, you'd remove it in advance and pack the knife part in to your checked baggage (assuming you needed the drive on you flight).
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 5:16:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Yea I like mine to but I have a hard time fiting it my back pocket.
http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2006/8/giant-knife-1_large.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top