BCM
User Panel

Kayaks (Page 4 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Warhawk:
I am picking up a Hobie Outback on Monday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#2]
View Quote
Awesome! New 2019 model, or used?

And, as far as radios, I use a Standard Horizon hx150. Does what I need it to do. No complaints.

Finally, for you guys putting lights on your kayak don't put a red/green nav light on the bow. Use a 360 degree white light. Kayaks are given right of way on the water by law, dont confuse the boater into thinking you're under power by using a red/green light. The other driver may think that he has the RoW while you're in your kayak. Could be a serious problem on the water.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By mercinarysniper:

Finally, for you guys putting lights on your kayak don't put a red/green nav light on the bow. Use a 360 degree white light. Kayaks are given right of way on the water by law, dont confuse the boater into thinking you're under power by using a red/green light. The other driver may think that he has the RoW while you're in your kayak. Could be a serious problem on the water.
View Quote
Good info. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#4]

And, as far as radios, I use a Standard Horizon hx150. Does what I need it to do. No complaints.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks, that's good info.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Just ordered a brand new Feel Free Lure 13.5 today! I pick it up on Thursday or Friday!
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Took my second hand Hobie Outback for a spin today.  I don't know why I waited so long to get a Hobie.  I had demoed one before but the pedals weren't set right (very easy to do, even on the water) and I didn't care for it.  I read up on setting up an outback, really nothing to it.

Anyway, I love this thing or at least I will once I figure out where to put my tackle.  Oh, I caught 7 bass too.

I'm not in this pic, but the kayak is.  On the left.

Link Posted: 4/3/2019 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Took my second hand Hobie Outback for a spin today.  I don't know why I waited so long to get a Hobie.  I had demoed one before but the pedals weren't set right (very easy to do, even on the water) and I didn't care for it.  I read up on setting up an outback, really nothing to it.

Anyway, I love this thing or at least I will once I figure out where to put my tackle.  Oh, I caught 7 bass too.

I'm not in this pic, but the kayak is.  On the left.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/32531853_1910623882281298_2755074172940976128_n-899332.jpg
View Quote
She's a beaut, Clark.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
How maneuverable are those pedal kayaks?

I can bring my paddle yak to nearly a complete stop inside its own length, and spin it around in the same distance. Is that possible on a pedal job?
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 3:49:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Warhawk] [#9]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
How maneuverable are those pedal kayaks?

I can bring my paddle yak to nearly a complete stop inside its own length, and spin it around in the same distance. Is that possible on a pedal job?
View Quote
The Hobie I just bought is an older (2015) version, the pedal drive propels forward only.  Newer Hobies have a forward & reverse setup, the benefit of the propeller type pedal drives is the ability to stop and reverse quickly and simply by pedaling backward.  Not true of the older Hobie mirage drives like mine, So I need to have a paddle handy to stop quickly.  It will turn pretty sharp, but that's not true of all pedal kayaks.  I had a Native Slayer 10 that had a turn radius like a semi truck.

I'm taking it out again this evening, if the storms stay away long enough.  I'll try to get some new pics.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 3:50:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
Any recommendations for a VHF radio?
View Quote
I bought a Cobra model that floats.  Bought it as a safety measure for inshore trips to the Gulf, but since that purchase i chose (what i consider) a better alternative.  That was a Delorme Inreach satellite texter. I just pop off a message to my loved ones to show my location (parked here, I'm OK, Will be late getting back, etc). It also has a SOS function if thing go badly. Figure that to be more reliable than line of sight off a rubber duck antenna.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Been fishing from cheap Kayaks for years.... finally dropped sum coin on a Hobie.
Here is set-up video and first voyage out on it-

2019 Hobie Outback initial rigging and walk around.

Hobie Outback 1st voyage - No Fish but, better than a day at work for sure !!
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Found some slabs last weekend.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#13]
^^^^
Nice Crappie.... hoping to get out Friday and catch me sum.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#14]
First trip out in the new Big Rig this morning.

Link Posted: 5/29/2019 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Extorris:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57330/Big_Rig_FD-961984.jpg
View Quote
Need to get back out now that I’m done moving.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought the Acsend 9R for my Wife and Daughters to use.... for under $250 it is a nice starter.

Spending the day on the water with my Gal...... Ascend 9R Sport maiden voyage.

My wife was able to stand up on it the first time... and on a busy lake.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Is this thread for recreational kayaks too? I’m looking at buying my first.  I’m trying to figure out the differences between the Perception Sound, Swifty, and Joyride.  It will be 100% lakes, ponds, and slow moving rivers.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By PriapusMaximus:
Wildnerness Systems Pungo 120   You're welcome.
View Quote
Or even better a Pungo 140

Your welcome...

Red
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AWDeity:
Is this thread for recreational kayaks too? I’m looking at buying my first.  I’m trying to figure out the differences between the Perception Sound, Swifty, and Joyride.  It will be 100% lakes, ponds, and slow moving rivers.
View Quote
Check and see if any dealers in your area have a demo day coming up. Great way to try out different ones before buying.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 4:53:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Still love my Perception Pescador Pro 120 as my all around fishing rig, but I just added another to my fleet.  I needed a slightly bigger boat for saltwater and river camping duty, so I got a Wilderness Ride 135. Thing weighs about 85lbs and has a max load rating of 500lbs. I did not buy it for creek duty, but my first trip in it was on a creek shuttle. It will not turn easily in faster current, but that big, bad boy drafts real shallow. I could just glide through shoals that most boats scraped and dragged through.  Seat is comfy and keeps the butt out of the soggy. Not as comfortable as the seat on my Perception, but the difference is negligible.

It is also amazingly fast on open water to be as big and heavy. My comfortable cruising speed was a steady 3 MPH. One odd thing I noticed was that in a side wind, the rear drifts more than the front.  All other kayaks I've used were the opposite. No big deal.

Front hatch opens up to a front compartment I could load enough camping gear and supplies for more than just me and tuck at least four fishing rods in the belly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I did a thing. Picked up a second boat. Still going to use my BG2 but upgraded to some pedal power in the form of a Hobie Pro Angler 12. Drifting for flounder has never been so easy!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 1:18:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I did a thing. Picked up a second boat. Still going to use my BG2 but upgraded to some pedal power in the form of a Hobie Pro Angler 12. Drifting for flounder has never been so easy!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/117689/IMG_20190623_174720_916_jpg-991658.JPG
View Quote
Nice!  I recently picked up a Hobie Outback and see the genius of the Hobie pedal drive.  I’d love to upgrade to a PA.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:15:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: weagle] [#23]
Got the trolling motor mounted on the Pelican Catch 120.  It's just an old 24lb Minn Kota, but it works fine for my needs.  Basically, I just wanted an easy way to get to the back end of some of the bigger water shed lakes near me.  I still fish from the smaller Catch 100 80% of the time.

Pelican Catch 120 Kayak with Trolling Motor

Caught some decent spots too:

The DonBob rig at Hollis Lathem 2 6 30 19 HD 720p
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Wife took me out to a cave near Ha Ha Tonka... actually got to paddle right inside it... pretty cool.

Ha Ha Tonka Cave Trip with the Wife.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Found a good deal on a like new Jackson Cruise 12 last week and got it wet on Saturday.  This was the best of about 6 or 8 smallmouth.  But the best part was spending the whole day with my 13 year old son, who was smoked by the end of the trip.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#27]
That's awesome man.... the Smaller is nice for sure.
He def looked wiped out ha-ha.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 7:35:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#28]
Originally Posted By weagle:
Got the trolling motor mounted on the Pelican Catch 120.  It's just an old 24lb Minn Kota, but it works fine for my needs.  Basically, I just wanted an easy way to get to the back end of some of the bigger water shed lakes near me.
View Quote
I need to set up a trolling motor. I was fishing yesterday with a member here who has one and saw the benefits.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I need to set up a trolling motor. I was fishing yesterday with a member here who has one and saw the benefits.
View All Quotes
Got the trolling motor mounted on the Pelican Catch 120.  It's just an old 24lb Minn Kota, but it works fine for my needs.  Basically, I just wanted an easy way to get to the back end of some of the bigger water shed lakes near me.
Personally, if I were to do a motor, it would probably end up being a torqueedo or something similar.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Any of y'all struggling to lift your heavy boat onto the roof of your vehicle, check out the Thule Hullavator lift assist kayak rack. I just put one on my Pilot and it's incredible. Now loading my boat is a breeze!

Yes, it's pricey ($659), but it's well worth it if you have shoulder/neck issues.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#31]
The girls and I went out for a river float this morning. I’ve been real happy with both my Jackson Liska and the Hobie. Great yaks.
I had a emotion mojo for a while. There is no comparison.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#32]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57330/Big_Rig_FD-961984.jpg
View Quote
Nice yak. I was torn on getting a big rig or something smaller. You went all in and got the pedal drive too. Real nice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By BPR:
Found a good deal on a like new Jackson Cruise 12 last week and got it wet on Saturday.  This was the best of about 6 or 8 smallmouth.  But the best part was spending the whole day with my 13 year old son, who was smoked by the end of the trip.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44835/IMG_2428_jpg-1026951.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44835/IMG_2440_JPG-1026952.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44835/IMG_2432_jpg-1026953.JPG
View Quote
Awesome. Way to go dad.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
I still fish 80% of the time out of the smaller Pelican Catch 100.  The bigger 120 with the motor is nice to get to the far end of some of the water shed lakes, but it's an unnecessary hassle for most of my fishing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#35]
My first online Tourney outta my new Hobie Outback...

1st Online Kayak Fishing Tourney
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Now that my kids are a little older, I'm trying to get back into fishing.  Picked this up today:

Attachment Attached File

2019 Hobie Outback.  Had and extra set of turbo fins, H Crate, seat cushion, kayak cart and deck mat kit.  I've seen in the thread that several of you guys own this model.  Any must have accessories I need to look into?  I figure I need an anchor kit of some type.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#37]
My Wilderness Systems Radar 115. Getting the pedal drive for it next year.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Clemson_John:
Now that my kids are a little older, I'm trying to get back into fishing.  Picked this up today:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/346734/one_jpg-1088860.JPG

2019 Hobie Outback.  Had and extra set of turbo fins, H Crate, seat cushion, kayak cart and deck mat kit.  I've seen in the thread that several of you guys own this model.  Any must have accessories I need to look into?  I figure I need an anchor kit of some type.
View Quote
I'm seeing the rabbit hole this can become.  I bought a clearance Pescador 12.0 for my buddy to fish with me.  Now I'm working on a custom trailer for the boats, for which I bought a tow kit for my SUV.  Lock kit for the trailer.  Security chains, cables and locks to secure the kayaks to the trailer.  Tie down straps.  Lanyards for everything in the boat.  Floating net.  Leash for the pedal drive.  Rod holders.  Anchor, anchor trolley, anchor line reel, float for the anchor line, track mounted cleat to secure anchor line.

I'm having fun fishing though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm seeing the rabbit hole this can become.  I bought a clearance Pescador 12.0 for my buddy to fish with me.  Now I'm working on a custom trailer for the boats, for which I bought a tow kit for my SUV.  Lock kit for the trailer.  Security chains, cables and locks to secure the kayaks to the trailer.  Tie down straps.  Lanyards for everything in the boat.  Floating net.  Leash for the pedal drive.  Rod holders.  Anchor, anchor trolley, anchor line reel, float for the anchor line, track mounted cleat to secure anchor line.

View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/346734/one_jpg-1088860.JPG

Then you buy a Hobie.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Got the trailer finished.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#41]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/346734/trailer_jpg-1112575.JPG
View Quote
I hope my daughter doesn't see this she's wanting a way to haul a kayak with her jeep. And I have enough irons in the fire without another project!
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#42]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/346734/trailer_jpg-1112575.JPG
View Quote
I'm converting my harbor freight trailer to something like this over the winter. I want to carry at least three, maybe four, kayaks on it. On the ladder rack, I'm going to put some of those "J" shaped angled carriers, to carry two on top.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By grimhollow:
I'm converting my harbor freight trailer to something like this over the winter. I want to carry at least three, maybe four, kayaks on it. On the ladder rack, I'm going to put some of those "J" shaped angled carriers, to carry two on top.
View Quote
Mine is a 5x8 trailer I caught on sale at Northern Tool for $399.  I think I could fit three or four kayaks across the top in j racks.  There's unistrut across the top of the ladder racks, so I should be able to mount almost anything in the future.  The toolbox is 59" wide, so I'm able to get paddles, PFDs, my mirage drive, and the milkcrate for the top kayak inside with room to spare.  The one other thing I'm considering right now is a 8 foot piece of conduit for rod transport, like this:

Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#44]

Mine is a 5x8 trailer I caught on sale at Northern Tool for $399.  I think I could fit three or four kayaks across the top in j racks.  There's unistrut across the top of the ladder racks, so I should be able to mount almost anything in the future.  The toolbox is 59" wide, so I'm able to get paddles, PFDs, my mirage drive, and the milkcrate for the top kayak inside with room to spare.  The one other thing I'm considering right now is a 8 foot piece of conduit for rod transport, like this:

http://www.yakangler.com/images/1984/tube_up_resized.jpg
View Quote
Do yourself a favor and stop considering it. Just do it. You already know what you're missing..
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:39:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grimhollow] [#45]

http://www.yakangler.com/images/1984/tube_up_resized.jpg
View Quote
Yep, I thought about putting one of those between the j racks. Not sure if I want to do that or build a compartment on the floor of the trailer the kayak and racks sit on top of. Here's what I'm working with, now. It's 4X8'.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:00:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldgold] [#46]
Originally Posted By BeardedDude:

Do you use a trailer? I've read they can be a pain to lift/carry by yourself.
View Quote
I carry it in the bed of the truck with an extender, on a rack, or in my boat. Going on a maiden voyage in my new Kaku Voodoo Hybrid on the Gulf Coast in a couple of weeks. It should be the perfect fishing machine.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

Just got mine all fixed up, Bonafide 107...been out a few times, it's really solid, great seat, if anyone is interested, I have more pics, the AR was an after beer thought....
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 3:57:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Got the trolling motor mounted on the Pelican Catch 120.  It's just an old 24lb Minn Kota, but it works fine for my needs.  Basically, I just wanted an easy way to get to the back end of some of the bigger water shed lakes near me.  I still fish from the smaller Catch 100 80% of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFKiA0FHrc0

Caught some decent spots too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee4lFitFSDA
View Quote
Neat the way you rigged that motor and catching Spots is the only reason I fish. Love catching those little cantankerous fireballs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BPR:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44835/IMG_2428_jpg-1026951.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44835/IMG_2440_JPG-1026952.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44835/IMG_2432_jpg-1026953.JPG
View Quote
Good job, Dad. Wore the kid out.

Also, I envy you access to Smallies.  Never caught one. Those and Reds are on my bucket list.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Kayaks (Page 4 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top