Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2022 8:04:20 PM EDT
Id like to do my part and help eradicate this invasive species, and eat them.  Ive read a bit about them and know theyre predominantly in the tributaries off the Potomac where I live, I haven't been in VA long enough to have any experience fishing for them.  Ill be casting form the shore, I don't have a boat.  Are they like bass, or more aggressive?  Do they hit on live/natural bait, or do they prefer surface lures and crankbaits?  Im heading up with my BIL this week to try and catch a few, any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 8:29:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VegasTool] [#1]
Attachment Attached File

But seriously yeah, would be nice if there was an easy button to get rid of them. And the Asian Carp. Both need to go extinct and not soon enough
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Minnow under float works good this time of year in holes or on edge of thick veg.
Any creek off Potomac ought to work.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 2:07:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#3]
Where I live we have Bullseye Snakeheads. I am sure they act close to the same.

I run a cheap frog along the lake or canal  bank. Don't ket the line come down and touch the water. Reel it so the line doesn't touch. It will spook them. Run the frog a foot or so from shore with a steady retrieve and when they hit it tip your rod down count one full second before setting the hook.

Also bend your hook tips up a tad as their mouths and heads are bony and many times you can fight a 7lber all the way to the shore only to find out its not really hooked at all. Just biting down like a damn pit bull they spit it as soon as it sees you.

They are always looking up. So they can see you coming.

Oh and DO NOT lip them like  a bass lol

They also take shiners but top water is king. I have seen them eat baby ducks
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 2:16:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#4]
I got a ton of them in my lake.
They are creepy mofo's.
Their fry school together like a liquid cloud.  
Its really disconcerting to watch them while their parents stare at you.  Its alien like. lol.
They breath air so they say they dont have the same pollutants other gill fish do.  So eat up I guess, I wont eat them.

I catch them on frogs and small spinner swim baits.  
I really dont feel they fight all that great.  No jumping.  
Im sure the super big ones are a bit better. Mine are never bigger than about 30".
I once caught one on a mango bread ball.  Carp love mango.
You can leave snakeheads on shore and they will hang for a minute then slither back into the water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top