Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2022 9:41:10 AM EDT
About a year ago, I posted this thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/-/1-699848/

I bought a Vivi S2 from Amazon in January of 2021. I really enjoyed it for the first few months that I had it. As an ebike, it wasn't overpowered, but adequate for my needs.

In June, I was riding up a long hill, pedaling with motor assist, when I suddenly lost all power. The bike was still under warranty (which was supposedly 6 months).

Took the controller box apart and found melted insulation and burned wires. Motor was taxed, amperage spiked, and apparently, no protections were built in to stop the surge. I let the smoke out.

So, I started trying to get warranty service for it.

Instead of detailing that entire process for you, I posted a video on Youtube following my harrowing experience.

Thinking of buying a VIVI ebike from Amazon or another retailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmgkSIDiA5M&ab_channel=squashpup

TL;DW: There is no customer service, and they lie through their teeth. I am still getting messages from the seller who is adamant that he has shipped replacement parts, but he refers to a tracking number for a package that ended up in Texas months ago. He really wants me to remove my negative feedback. And, although he did issue a partial refund for less than half of the purchase cost of the bike, he didn't honor the warranty that was promised at the time of purchase.

In the end, my purchase price was $550, I got a $250 refund, and I sold the bike as being DRT on Facebook for $125. So, I lost $175 on the deal. Could have been worse, but bad enough.

The bad part is, after the fact, if I'd KNOWN that the bike itself had no overload protection, it would have been relatively easy to wire in a 10-15 amp fuse that likely would have prevented the problem.

So, if you order one of these bikes, understand that you are likely on your own. And if you possess any electrical knowledge at all, you'd best install a fuse to prevent a complete meltdown of the controller or motor.

For my second ebike, I ponied up the money and ordered from an American company with a good reputation for customer service. Just passed the 100 mile mark on the new bike and I'll post a review here shortly.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
No surprise.

Cheap bikes are cheap.

Even entry level quality eBikes are 10x what you paid.

Go check out Trek, Specialized, Orbea, etc. Even their non electrified bikes are 2-15x what you paid.

At the end of the day, bicycles are definitely a you get what you pay for item.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm still rocking my DIY ebike i put together 10yr ago with a walmart mongoose and electronics from ebikekit.  I run that thing hard.  Max speed ive hit is 39mph going downhill.

I do need to replace the batteries on it at some point.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
So.... Made in China.

We really need to stop buying Chinese crap.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#4]
What's almost as disappointing as the poor customer service that I got from the seller is the fact that Amazon promised at several points to step in, but never did.

They know the guy is not honoring his warranty, but they let him continue. They put me off at least 10 times, promising me that they would step in after 48 hours, but they never did.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's almost as disappointing as the poor customer service that I got from the seller is the fact that Amazon promised at several points to step in, but never did.

They know the guy is not honoring his warranty, but they let him continue. They put me off at least 10 times, promising me that they would step in after 48 hours, but they never did.

View Quote

Something I have found is Amazon sides with the seller, eBay sides with the buyer.

Just be aware.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I've learned that my $2200 AR Ebike has limited service available too, it isn't just the cheapo bikes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#7]
If you buy the extra Amazon insurance, you don't need to package or pay shipping.  They will pay quickly, I have seen me do it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#8]
If you used a credit card to purchase the bike, you should be able to dispute the charges.  Go get your $175.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Something I have found is Amazon sides with the seller, eBay sides with the buyer.

Just be aware.
View Quote
Not if you buy the add on insurance.  Amazon often pays out within the hour, sometimes doesn't even want the trash back.

I did this with a log splitter and two ice makers.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if you could do some research and file a lawsuit against Amazon without a lawyer.
Get their attention, forcing them to do something, take them to small claims court just for the principle of it.
I dont know how that works across state lines but you would be doing other US consumers a service.
It seems like selling something on the internet and not honoring the stated warranty is mail fraud.
Al Capone went down for less.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you used a credit card to purchase the bike, you should be able to dispute the charges.  Go get your $175.
View Quote

Wonder what the statute of limitations is on that?

EDIT: found it.. 60 days.  The bike was still functioning within 60 days...

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wonder if you could do some research and file a lawsuit against Amazon without a lawyer.
Get their attention, forcing them to do something, take them to small claims court just for the principle of it.
I dont know how that works across state lines but you would be doing other US consumers a service.
It seems like selling something on the internet and not honoring the stated warranty is mail fraud.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks like Step 1 is do-able.

How to Sue Amazon in Small Claims Court
Amazon.com is a massive American multinational company that offers e-commerce, web, and digital streaming services among others. Through contracts with individual retailers, Amazon facilitates e-commerce transactions between smaller companies and Amazon's customer base of millions. It is one of the U.S. Big Five tech companies, a distinction shared by Apple, Facebook, Google, and Microsoft. With their vast size and resources, suing Amazon in small claims court can be a daunting proposition.

Amazon is no stranger to lawsuits, both on a large and small scale. According to Marketplace Pulse, Amazon received record numbers of consumer complaints in 2020, while trying to meet unprecedented demand during the COVID-19 pandemic. Complaints ranged from poor product quality to inaccurate reviews and long shipping times. In fact, complaint numbers were so high that in August 2021, the company decided for the first time to compensate customers for defective items sold through their marketplace.

Fortunately, if you have a dispute with Amazon regarding a purchase or refund, injury, or other damage, there are a variety of options available to you. One of the most effective methods to obtain compensation is to sue Amazon in small claims court.

Send a Demand Letter
The first step in the small claims process is to send a legal demand letter to Amazon. The letter should include the following:

How much money Amazon owes you.
Why Amazon owes you the money.
Your name, address, phone, number, and other contact information.
Where to send the payment.
Amount of time they have to remit payment.
Your intention to sue if payment is not received within the allotted time frame.
The amount of time that Amazon has to respond to the demand letter varies depending on the jurisdiction, but is usually between 7 and 14 days.

Might be worth a shot. If I'm only asking for a very small (and completely reasonable) amount of money, and they repeatedly promised me that they would step in and did not, then I might get lucky, lol. I could include the repeated promises of the CSR's to step in, as well as the fact that I pointed out that the seller was not honoring the warranty and that the CSR told me that action would be taken.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I would go for it, if you had not sold the bike I would think you would be better off.
I would also pen a letter the the attorney general's office explaining the situation with all the printed documentation and include that in a certified letter to Amazon.
If the have other complaints like yours and still selling them they are committing mail fraud.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So.... Made in China.

View Quote

Abso-fucking-lutely this.^
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So.... Made in China.

View Quote

In no way am I defending made-in-China, but it's not so much about being made in China, but by which company. Some products have much higher QA/QC AND and an America company that will stand by the warranty; some are simply scammers.  Chinese products are like playing Russian roulette with five out of six cylinders loaded The only safe way to order Chinese if it's from a reputable American company that shipped their production overseas but still mentions their QA/QC involvement.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#16]
What American made bike did you buy?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In no way am I defending made-in-China, but it's not so much about being made in China, but by which company. Some products have much higher QA/QC AND and an America company that will stand by the warranty; some are simply scammers.  Chinese products are like playing Russian roulette with five out of six cylinders loaded The only safe way to order Chinese if it's from a reputable American company that shipped their production overseas but still mentions their QA/QC involvement.

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So.... Made in China.

ROCK6

This right here. It's easy to say stop buying from China, but there are people typing that very phrase on an I-Phone that is made in China. Look at the chip shortage for vehicles, where do you think those are coming from? What other electronics do you use every day that has chips in it?  We have become dependedant on China for everything and I don't see that ending anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote

Well said. There's unfortunately really no such thing as made in America anymore. Is there an ebike made with mostly US made components, right down to the lithium battery and microchips?  Probably not. Best you can do is "assembled in America" from foreign parts, and expect to pay so much that only an anorak would pony up. Barring that, like you said. An American company that is involved in the overseas production of their products is the best you can hope for. A lot of "high end" manufacturers do this (Trek, Specialized, etc). Firearms industry manufacturers do this as well (Primary Arms, Holosun, etc.).

Unfortunately, it's the American way. Your alternative is to basically never have anything...

But, hey! At least we can still make trash cans!  Probably from Chinese "High Grade" Steel, tho.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#19]
So what’s a good ebike brand and who sells them ?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had excellent luck with my Ride1Up Core 5.

March will be one year of ownership. I've thrown a lot at it and it has handled all of it without complaint. I paid just over $1000 for it, assembled it myself, and have been maintaining it myself.

Spent 56 miles riding in the rain over a weekend on the local rail trail, and carried the bike home on an external rack with no cover in even more rain. No problems. All the electronics are shielded against the elements.

Pulled an 80+ lb trailer for that 56 miles as well, bike didn't even seem to notice it (until the trailer had a flat). Stayed on pedal assist 1 and still had battery left at the end of the trip.

I've ridden it a couple times in below freezing weather. As long as you store the battery inside, it's not an issue.

Only casualty has been a broken spoke which was fairly easily replaced by myself. Other than that, it's just been occasional adjustments to the derailleur, brakes, etc.  Normal stuff you'd have with any bike.

So far, I haven't seen anything about it that concerns me or makes me second guess my purchase. It's been rock solid reliable and a good value.

My rolling review thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/The-replacement-e-bike-Ride1up-Core-5-long-winded-review-/1-702577/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top