Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2021 9:40:38 AM EDT
Looking for some recommendations for backcountry cold weather sleeping bags and sleeping pads/mats for my two kids. They will be old enough this fall for hunting. I don't want to break the bank but I want to ensure they don't freeze either. I am thinking down sleeping bag 0 or 15 degree. Any suggestions are welcome.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you need lightweight? Are you backpacking and carrying all your gear?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Wiggys is what you are looking for. Google them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you plan on carrying them farther than the parking lot.

Light, they are not.

OP, kids' ages?  Temps expected?

North Face, REI, Marmot, Mtn Hardware are all my go to brands.  If they make a bag, it's probably good.  I haven't looked in years, since I have a bag...
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
You want the little tykes to be comfortable and not freezing cold on their first hunting adventure. Buck up and take the weight, Cabela’s 44 magnum and some polar tech blankets they can share. Maybe bring a light weight Marmot bag for you if you all can’t fit in the magnum.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Unless you plan on carrying them farther than the parking lot.

Light, they are not.

OP, kids' ages?  Temps expected?

North Face, REI, Marmot, Mtn Hardware are all my go to brands.  If they make a bag, it's probably good.  I haven't looked in years, since I have a bag...
View Quote

Any of these bolded brands would be great, though I actually use an LL Bean bag. I know REI isn’t popular here for good reason, but the site is great for research. For pads, which are arguably just as important, I use thermarest.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are not backpacking, best option would be Wiggys for price and performance; they're just too bulky and heavy for a backpack.  Less than $150 for a 0-degree rated bag is pretty good.

I would just get the simple closed cell foam (CCF) sleeping pads as they are robust and will work fine for kids.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Sea to Summit Spark series or Western Mountaineering for one that you plan on packing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#9]
From the car to the tent, Wiggys.

For carrying it 10 miles a day, Nemo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

After camping a few weekends ago with below freezing weather where my son used my Wiggy's 0 degree bag and was super comfy, I ordered another in the tall/wide.

Great for car camping, too bulky and heavy for backpacking.

It was 35 degrees and raining before it turned to snow,and I love that the synthetic still works wet, and the bag is washable.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 2:28:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I ordered a Kelty Cosmic 20 last year, for the price it's not too heavy. It does take up more space than I would like, but it's what I could afford.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Count on the comfort rating being 15 degrees higher than the manufacturer rating, unless you’re looking at a brand like Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. If you’re going to be hiking in a shortish distance and setting up a base camp there’s no need to go with 800+ fill power down, spend half the money on slightly larger and heavier 550-650FP bags. For the kids, consider women’s bags as they often have more insulation since women tend to sleep colder. They’re shorter, too, which means less air space to warm up.

REI gives R-values for sleeping pads, very handy for comparison.

Geartrade and Switchbackr sell used gear and returned stuff at decent markdowns. You have to know what you’re looking at, though, because private sale listings are often pretty short on info.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

REI gives R-values for sleeping pads, very handy for comparison.
View Quote

A good pad with a 4+R value makes a HUGE difference.

I have a Therm-a-rest, but picked up a Klymit insulated pad on clearance for $50 that isn't too heavy and packs small.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Budget?

You could go with Feathered Friends (slightly better that Western Mountaineering ime, I've had both and the FF ones are a little more robust) and Exped down mats, but you'll run well into four figures.

Lightweight, Warm, Cheap. Choose two.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Second what ME2112 said, the advertised temp ratings are not for comfort temps ... more like at this temperature you will survive the night if you're not wet.  A hot water bottle and or hand warmers in their bags will go a long way to make a cold night a more enjoyable experience.

I like my Kelty 0 as a good balance of size, weight, and price.

-P
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Good thread.

Need a rectangle bag for car caping and the Wiggy's looks to nail the ticket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top