Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2018 3:40:44 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a portable freezer. This would be going in my truck camper shell setup. Anyone have any personal experience with one they don't like or like?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:33:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been using  a WAECO Cool Freeze CF 18, for a little more than a year, and am entirely satisfied with it. I camp and travel frequently, usually boondocking, so use this  little freezer to  replenish frozen icepacks for my Yeti coolers, using 12 volt from my truck, or when available, a step-down from 110VAC transformer, when 110V AC is available. My modest 100W solar panel and 115AH AGM battery are not up to the demands of this unit, but a day-long road trip will refreeze a bunch of ice substitute.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#2]
This thing is a beast!

AX56L Acutemp Hemacool Military Surplus Freezer /Refrigerator
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The Engel 12v/120v fridge/freezer is a standard of the overlanding crowd.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#4]
ARB 50 QT.  Large enough to store quite a bit of food / drinks.  Small enough for one person to move in and out of a vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thing is a beast!

AX56L Acutemp Hemacool Military Surplus Freezer /Refrigerator
View Quote
I saw that but didn't know if it was still being produced. The thought that it looks pretty rugged appeals to me or at least enough to be approved by the military and can run on batteries.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine was surplussed out and still NIB.  The batteries were 2007 production so that dates the unit. The batteries were easily replaced.  Cons on this unit are its' ungainly size and excessive weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top