Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2018 5:09:58 PM EDT
Looks like Spot finally is competing with Garmin/Delorne and a few others with two way sat coms.  I've had a gen 1 and the newest Spot, might be upgrading to this one.  Does everything else the previous ones do and a little more, to include texting.  Best of all you don't have to pair it with your phone like the Garmin and run down two batteries on two systems.  Downside is they went with rechargeable instead of the tried and true AA or replaceable.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2305036/first-impressions-spots-new-satellite-messenger

https://gearjunkie.com/spot-x-2-way-satellite-messenger-review
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
That keyboard!!!

will look into it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:40:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Very interesting...  I am happy to see something with a two way texting option that doesn't require a phone to use...

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php

Plan prices are not outrageous in the grand scheme of things...  I am sure I spend a lot more money through out the year on much more frivolous things.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
InReach does not require a phone to be paired but it is an option if I remember correctly.

From what I heard most people say SPOT has terrible customer service so they go with the Garmin.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
InReach does not require a phone to be paired but it is an option if I remember correctly.

From what I heard most people say SPOT has terrible customer service so they go with the Garmin.
View Quote
My old Inreach SE does not require a phone link to text. It's a slow to punch out new message texts on my Inreach, but I mainly use the preset messages like "Starting my trip", "Safe at camp" and "Back at car".  I've also been using Garmin and Delorme products for years. Calling CS was always rare, but when I did, they were speaking American and the waits were short.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
They lost me at rechargeable. That is great for shorter trips, but i want to be able to replace batteries on longer trips.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They lost me at rechargeable. That is great for shorter trips, but i want to be able to replace batteries on longer trips.
View Quote
Could carry a battery bank to do it? Or a small solar panel.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

240 Hours (10 days) of battery life in continuous 10 minute tracking mode
If you only use it for a couple hours a day then it should last a month or so off grid.  I don't know about any one else but I don't spend more than a month off the grid at a time.  Heck, I am lucky to do a couple weeks at a time on e a year.

Of course I have never used one so my assumption is based of their claim on battery life.

I am also a ham radio guy, and if anyone has tried those little bafoeng radios, the UV-5R they know that a good lithium batter lasts a long time, even under use.  OF course that's not to say I wouldn't say no to an AA option for a SAT device.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 3:07:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like spot announced yet another hike across the board, this time disguised as a "24.99 per year technology upgrade"

What the heck are they thinking?  Their rates are getting stupid, just for the basic functoins it'll be $225 a year now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top